Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought aacomas guidelines say you have into December 15?

I interviewed early at Bradenton this past cycle and you have two options. You can either ask for your decision as soon as the next committee meeting, then have 30 days to put down the deposit, or defer the decision until December 15. I'm not sure how long you have with deferring, but the extra months will give you time to test the waters in the cycle.

They emphasized that the decision is made at the next meeting regardless, so deferring doesn't affect the outcome, they still decide to accept/wait list/reject, they just don't send your letter until December. Deferring also affects how many seats have been filled if you wait too long.

I had already had a few acceptances at that point so I chose to get mine right away; however, I just wanted to let you know the decision is available.
At the end of the interview day you check which option you want on a piece of paper and sign it.

I understand this was for the Bradenton campus but from what I've gathered it's largely the same across the branches. If any of you have any questions feel free to PM me, in the process of moving to Bradenton this week.

Members don't see this ad.

What do y'all think my chances are for here. I took the mcat 3 times, got a 24 all the times I took it. I'm going to take it again on august 27. I have good ECs, a 3.6 scigpa, 3.67 overall GPA and am Hispanic.... If that's worth anything. My MCAT breakdowns show improvement. What I mean by that is my weaker areas go up and my strong ones would go down.

I interviewed early at Bradenton this past cycle and you have two options. You can either ask for your decision as soon as the next committee meeting, then have 30 days to put down the deposit, or defer the decision until December 15. I'm not sure how long you have with deferring, but the extra months will give you time to test the waters in the cycle.

They emphasized that the decision is made at the next meeting regardless, so deferring doesn't affect the outcome, they still decide to accept/wait list/reject, they just don't send your letter until December. Deferring also affects how many seats have been filled if you wait too long.

I had already had a few acceptances at that point so I chose to get mine right away; however, I just wanted to let you know the decision is available.
At the end of the interview day you check which option you want on a piece of paper and sign it.

I understand this was for the Bradenton campus but from what I've gathered it's largely the same across the branches. If any of you have any questions feel free to PM me, in the process of moving to Bradenton this week.
thanks so much for the info! Good luck this year

Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting... the AACOM College Info Book says that if you're accepted between July 1 and January 31 have 30 days with 30 day max to accept the offer of admission. I wonder if this is a Bradenton thing... but their CIB page says the same thing.

Interesting... the AACOM College Info Book says that if you're accepted between July 1 and January 31 have 30 days with 30 day max to accept the offer of admission. I wonder if this is a Bradenton thing... but their CIB page says the same thing.
Erie doesn't follow the suggested aacomas guidelines. Just something to keep in mind!

This might be the best thing for me to do because my interview is 7/18 with no option for another day and I am not ready to put 1500 down at LECOM when I havent even filled out a secondary for other schools. I do not like an exploding decision. I am so happy they want to interview but I like this option I am currently trying to get ahold my admissions to see about this and potentially rescheduling my interview but if this option exists then I might be able to go to the interview. Its just the process of getting ready, taking off work 2 days, gas, driving. Even if I could get it rescheduled for a later date that would be great. Did anyone else get another interview date besides 7/18

Reactions: 1 user
Yup that's why I'm so hesitant about LECOM! 30 days to decide and a $1500 deposit is not a light decision to make.

Did they give you an option for days?

See my earlier post, but no right down I am trying to call LECOM.. I will let you know what they say. I do not have an option ... trying to reschedule but I might just ask like hey so I have heard that we have the option not to go through the committee until dec 15th is that true? And if its a yes maybe attend the interview and wait and see from other schools but its practice and one interview down!

Just got my password worked out with IT to get into my account but can't figure out how to actually do the secondary. Is there a place in the account that im not seeing? Or do I have to wait on another e-mail notification?
You have to go through the admissions tab on the left side of the portal and then you should be good from there. Follow the instructions in the email.

The $1500 nonrefundable deposit is just to keep people from accepting a seat as a safety measure. There are some people who want to go to a DO school who are going to get waitlisted, or not accepted at all, because people who really want to go to an MD school take acceptances at DO schools with no intent of attending if they get a "better" offer. Requiring a large deposit is the only way they have to get students to demonstrate that they are really committed to going here.

The deposit isn't required until after you are offered an acceptance. If you don't really want to go to this school, don't pay the deposit. If you do, then go ahead, and realize that it is going to be applied to tuition there.

I am happy about this policy, since I want to go to a DO school. I don't think it is just a backup plan for an MD. If I am offered an acceptance here, or at another school that requires a large deposit, I am going to accept, pay the deposit, and withdraw all my other applications. I am not applying to schools that I don't want to go to, so the one that accepts me first is the right one for me.

Also, applying here. MCAT 36, cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.7, solid EC's with 5 years clinical experience as a surgical technician. Yes, I am competitive for MD schools, but I want DO. I feel like I am going to have to struggle to get the schools to believe that I legitimately intend to go to the first DO school to say yes to me.

Just got a II!!! 7/15 (tuesday) so they don't just schedule on thursday !!

Stats:
undergrad cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: 3.5
graduate GPA: 3.53
MCAT 29(VR:8 PS:9 BS:12)

Good luck to everyone!!!!

The $1500 nonrefundable deposit is just to keep people from accepting a seat as a safety measure. There are some people who want to go to a DO school who are going to get waitlisted, or not accepted at all, because people who really want to go to an MD school take acceptances at DO schools with no intent of attending if they get a "better" offer. Requiring a large deposit is the only way they have to get students to demonstrate that they are really committed to going here.

The deposit isn't required until after you are offered an acceptance. If you don't really want to go to this school, don't pay the deposit. If you do, then go ahead, and realize that it is going to be applied to tuition there.

I am happy about this policy, since I want to go to a DO school. I don't think it is just a backup plan for an MD. If I am offered an acceptance here, or at another school that requires a large deposit, I am going to accept, pay the deposit, and withdraw all my other applications. I am not applying to schools that I don't want to go to, so the one that accepts me first is the right one for me.
Coming from someone who applied to 5 DO schools. Its great they are on the ball but not fun when I have not even filled out secondaries at other DO schools. Waiting to hear from my other state DO schools would be nice before I pull the trigger.

Ok well you can also have other DO schools that you're applying to, so the 30 days is still unreasonable

Members don't see this ad :)
So, these interview invites... what if you get one on a day that you absolutely cannot attend? Is it problematic if you need to ask for a different date?

So, these interview invites... what if you get one on a day that you absolutely cannot attend? Is it problematic if you need to ask for a different date?
I am calling them tomorrow again if they dont return my phone call. I want a different day or will have to do the wait till dec 15th for decision bc I want to hear back from other DO schools too.

Does anyone think if we select to wait till Dec 15th that will hurt our chances at getting in ?

Do you need to have LORs in before the interview or after? Thank you.

Received an interview invite this morning! Anyone know how I should be preparing?

Does anyone think if we select to wait till Dec 15th that will hurt our chances at getting in ?

When I interviewed last cycle they said deferring has no bearing on the decision. They make the decision blind at the next committee meeting, then look at your decision. If you defer they just hold your decision letter until December.

Coming from someone who applied to 5 DO schools. Its great they are on the ball but not fun when I have not even filled out secondaries at other DO schools. Waiting to hear from my other state DO schools would be nice before I pull the trigger.

Then just choose to defer the result until December. No big deal. That's why they have that option (and yes I can confirm that it is an option they have offered for years).

It would take a good reason to reschedule. If I were you, I'd try my best to get around/out of your other commitments. There are plenty of other applicants that would take that date in an instant.

Also, keep in mind that there are designated interview days, and they usually happen on the same day of the week.

Just got an interview. I wonder if I can postpone.

See my response above.

Received an interview invite this morning! Anyone know how I should be preparing?

Review the stuff in the SDN interview feedback. The interview is really laid back.

It's a group interview, individuals are asked to first introduce themselves and say a little bit about themselves. Then specific people are asked specific questions like describe a tough situation in your life and how you overcame it (I'm paraphrasing). Then everyone is asked to consider a few situations, discuss them and explain what they would do and why. The situations are usually related to public health or medical ethics (you don't really need much outside info, just the ability to form an opinion or explain what you would do in the situation. They mainly want to see that you can both think critically and participate in an active discussion with your peers.

I submitted my secondary to both Bradenton and Erie on the same day..however Bradenton I was able to pay the secondary, while Erie there was some technical difficulties and I couldnt return to the "pay page". I know the option of just waiting for them to send me the email of an alternative way of paying, but I'm wondering if that has delayed my secondary ..cause the Bradenton one was already "under review" while the Erie one still has the original message about submitting the secondary...

I spoke with admissions and the woman said the committee has not decided yet if defer is an option but will let me know this coming week.

I spoke with admissions and the woman said the committee has not decided yet if defer is an option but will let me know this coming week.

Thanks for doing that bit of research. Would be interested to hear what you learn. I am thinking that I m just going to hold my secondary for them until later in the summer.

I submitted my secondary to both Bradenton and Erie on the same day..however Bradenton I was able to pay the secondary, while Erie there was some technical difficulties and I couldnt return to the "pay page". I know the option of just waiting for them to send me the email of an alternative way of paying, but I'm wondering if that has delayed my secondary ..cause the Bradenton one was already "under review" while the Erie one still has the original message about submitting the secondary...

Same here except my Erie app has been processed and is "under review" and Bradenton is "processing" still. I submitted both at the same time little over a week ago now. Are the two campuses running on a different schedule for processing apps?

Same here except my Erie app has been processed and is "under review" and Bradenton is "processing" still. I submitted both at the same time little over a week ago now. Are the two campuses running on a different schedule for processing apps?

They have different interests and choices for applicants. B is a lot more Mcat heavy in choosing people.

could someone post the secondary essays? I would love to get a jumpstart on them if I can.

could someone post the secondary essays? I would love to get a jumpstart on them if I can.

LECOM doesn't have secondary essays. It takes 5-10 min to complete it. (it is more or less a questionnaire) the only difficulty I faced was paying for the fee -__-'

LECOM doesn't have secondary essays. It takes 5-10 min to complete it. (it is more or less a questionnaire) the only difficulty I faced was paying for the fee -__-'
thank you! =)

They're already handing out interviews? Wow, so early. For me: Erie- Under review. Bradenton- Still Processing.

Is is true that if you don't have a DO LOR, you can still apply and they'll set up you up with a DO during the interview who will write a letter for you?
No this isn't true. I applied without a DO letter and got an interview, but I had to find my own DO letter in order for them to make a decision.

For all those who are preparing for interviews within the next week or so…how are you guys preparing? LECOM is an awesome school and I can't wait to actually visit and get the feel of the student body, faculty etc.

Can any current LECOM student comment on the differences between the Erie and Seton Hill campus? Also, are there any student run clinics, community based programs?? Can't wait to meet some of ya'll soon!

II- August 1st @ Erie. I have never done a group interview before, so this will definitely be interesting! My plans are to read up on some school specifics and go in with a positive mindset. It's a wonderful school from what I have heard and read. I am extremely grateful that they have extended an interview invite to me. Good luck to everyone else who is interviewing soon!

Okay called admissions... they were able to reschedule my interview date to sometime in August. They can put you on self selection. I was told that they are still deciding the defer option. Was also told that if you defer YOU ARE NOT ACCEPTED OR REJECTED PRIOR. THEY WILL NOT REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION TILL NOV. Whether that impacts you getting in... not sure probably better hope spots do not fill

Okay called admissions... they were able to reschedule my interview date to sometime in August. They can put you on self selection. I was told that they are still deciding the defer option. Was also told that if you defer YOU ARE NOT ACCEPTED OR REJECTED PRIOR. THEY WILL NOT REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION TILL NOV. Whether that impacts you getting in... not sure probably better hope spots do not fill
what does self-selection mean?

Received II today! Anyone know how many students are invited to each interview date?

I think it's about 40 students, IIRC. If not more.

You are interviewed in groups of 6, and I think there was 6 or 7 different interviewing groups.

How long did it take for you guys to get your interview notifications after your application was changed to "under review"?

You self select your interview date

I find it really weird that this isn't the default option. Why assign people to dates which may or may not work for them and make them have to get in touch with someone to fix it. It seems like it would be easier and more humane to use a web based calendar to let people pick times/dates that would work for them. It would also help the school, as they could get a sense of how interested an applicant might be based on whether they selected an earlier date vs one much later.

People have complained about the authoritarian flavor of LECOM administration. Scheduling for you without regard to any other commitments is pretty inconsiderate. Is this common practice at all schools, or is this an example of LECOM's attitude toward its students?

I find it really weird that this isn't the default option. Why assign people to dates which may or may not work for them and make them have to get in touch with someone to fix it. It seems like it would be easier and more humane to use a web based calendar to let people pick times/dates that would work for them. It would also help the school, as they could get a sense of how interested an applicant might be based on whether they selected an earlier date vs one much later.

People have complained about the authoritarian flavor of LECOM administration. Scheduling for you without regard to any other commitments is pretty inconsiderate. Is this common practice at all schools, or is this an example of LECOM's attitude toward its students?

The first interview date is the only date that was not available for those placed in that date to self select. All other II will be self select. Not sure about other schools policies. But LECOM just needed people to come on the first day they said so thats why it wasnt self selection if your II was on Day 1.

Reading over the email again, where do we meet the day of the interview ?At admissions?

I'm in an affiliation program with my undergrad school and LECOM-E so I had my group interview a year ago. They mainly presented scenarios among the group and watched to see how everyone worked together. What would we do if we knew another student was cheating? If you were in a residency program and you knew the attending was going to order a drug that could cause more problems, how would you handle it (they act like arrogant doctors and threaten to not pass you through the program if you question them)? The only other big thing I remember was they wanted to hear an opinion from everyone on the healthcare problem in the country... is Obamacare good, or how should it be changed?

I already have my seat reserved so good luck to everyone! If you have more questions about the interview go ahead and ask...some other things may come back to me.

Reactions: 1 users