Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would definitely rank PBL as my #1 path if offered the opportunity to. I work better talking things out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interviewing here tomorrow, is there anything I should bring with me besides ID? Also, is there parking nearby?
Huge parking lot right outside of where you interview. They give you all of the info you need. Just bring ID and a snack if you get light headed like me if I don't eat for 3 hours. Haha!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Huge parking lot right outside of where you interview. They give you all of the info you need. Just bring ID and a snack if you get light headed like me if I don't eat for 3 hours. Haha!

Thanks! Good call on the snack actually, for me it's more like 2 hours :laugh:

Hey y'all. I've been following this page for a while now without posting. But I am happy to say that I submitted my deposit for LECOM-E today! I was accepted to the PBL pathway and I couldn't be more excited.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group up yet for the LECOM-E 2019 class?

Good luck to all those still waiting!!

Congrats, and welcome! Yes, there is a LECOM-E 2019 class Facebook group. I linked to it a few weeks ago. I will dig that out and post the link here. Not too many people there yet. Let me look.

Here you go!:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/973520662673364/

Last edited:
So have I! Literally you wouldn't have to drive anywhere for the first two years unless you chose PBL.

Well, there is no grocery store in walking distance, so you would have to send out expeditions for supplies. But we could carpool/co-op those. I'm really thinking hard about it. I just can't decide whether I want to try living alone for the first time ever. If my SO tags along, the point is moot, but if not... I wonder if having my very own place would be exhilirating or terrifying. I'm used to a big houseful.

Well, there is no grocery store in walking distance, so you would have to send out expeditions for supplies. But we could carpool/co-op those. I'm really thinking hard about it. I just can't decide whether I want to try living alone for the first time ever. If my SO tags along, the point is moot, but if not... I wonder if having my very own place would be exhilirating or terrifying. I'm used to a big houseful.

i think if you live alone you would probably want to do at least some of your studying in public otherwise i think living alone gets too lonely. i would definitely want at least one roommate. you can always leave your place and study on campus somewhere. so you can always separate yourself from roommates but you can never gain any if you live alone (unless you get one partway through the year, etc)

hope that makes sense :eyebrow:

i think if you live alone you would probably want to do at least some of your studying in public otherwise i think living alone gets too lonely. i would definitely want at least one roommate. you can always leave your place and study on campus somewhere. so you can always separate yourself from roommates but you can never gain any if you live alone (unless you get one partway through the year, etc)

hope that makes sense :eyebrow:
I think I agree with you. And it's cheaper too! I have a car so Wegman's here I come :D

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, but housing is so plentiful and cheap. I have some Very Big Unknowns (will I be joined by an significant other or not?) that make it hard to figure out exactly what I want out of a place. If it is just me, I might want the tiniest efficiency possible. Or, do I want to have multiple roomies? I like roomies. Or! I can go on like this for hours.

So:
Directly across from the school are two apartment complexes, Laurel Springs and Laurel Ridge. These are owned by Pastore Bros. Studios $500, 1 bdrm $675ish, 2bdrm $775ish. All plus electric, phone, and cable. Water and gas included in rent. Waiting lists are long, because again, they are across the street from the school. No pets besides fish/birds. http://www.pastorebuilders.com/community/laurel-ridge-apartments

Remember, this is a town with several colleges, so there are many apartments geared toward students. Agresti Realty offers rooms in shared student housing where all utilities including internet are included. $600ish/month. http://www.agrestirealestate.com/rentals.html

Another big player is Palermo Realty. I've seen people who were unhappy with them, but they have a LOT of units available at wide range of prices: http://www.joepalermo.com/rentals/

Here is the site for the local apartment association, where you can customize your search: http://www.aptassoc.com/for-rent

Craigslist is also full of possibilities. From 4+ bedroom homes renting for under 1k/month (plus utilities, obv) to under $100/week for sublets/bedsits/efficiencies.

If only I could decide exactly what it is that I want, I could have exactly that all sewn up and leases signed months in advance. Too many possibilities.

Everything I needed to know in one site! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one on 12/29. Is that really late?

Just finished my interview with LECOM today!!!
Love the school and the students :]
Admission officers are so fun to be around.
Pretty excited to hear back from them.

Anyone has any idea of what to do in Erie for Halloween?
I'm checking out this restaurant called Sherlock tonight because someone suggested it.
I had dinner at Plymouth's Inn last night, which wasn't too bad. Generous portion + cheap cost.
It was the first time someone mixed up fries with my steak salad though, so that was interesting.

If anyone's here tonight (10/31/14) and have nothing to do, shoot me a private message!!
I'm down to hang, my flight leaves tomorrow morning :]

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! Good call on the snack actually, for me it's more like 2 hours :laugh:
I literally almost passed out because I didn't eat until after the presentation and interview. Luckily, I had a Larabar in my bag to eat during the tour. I snuck a few pieces!!! hahaha

I had dinner at Plymouth's Inn last night, which wasn't too bad. Generous portion + cheap cost.
It was the first time someone mixed up fries with my steak salad though

Welcome to the Midwest/Western PA! Notice our waistlines! We know how to put potatoes into our salad, our pasta (pierogis), and even pancakes (latkes)! You can't say we won't feed you!

The weather isn't what most people would call beach worthy, but if you don't find someone to hang out with, you gotta at least drive through Presque Isle.

Welcome to the Midwest/Western PA! Notice our waistlines! We know how to put potatoes into our salad, our pasta (pierogis), and even pancakes (latkes)! You can't say we won't feed you!

The weather isn't what most people would call beach worthy, but if you don't find someone to hang out with, you gotta at least drive through Presque Isle.
You forgot fries and coleslaw on our sandwiches!

Interviewed today, not bad overall!!!

There APAP program is my top osteopathic choice, maybe I will see you all next year.

Good luck to the rest!

Reactions: 3 users
Library and facilities for one. The people there were nice. General feeling of support. Solid academics.

So have I! Literally you wouldn't have to drive anywhere for the first two years unless you chose PBL.
Gonna have to snatch up the apartments before you guys do.

Also, I have been thinking a lot about switching over to PBL. I just don't know if I want too. PBL would be the same as having lecturers that read off the slides, or just can't teach. In which case you would have to teach yourself anyways (think PBL).

Does anyone know how many LECOM interviews and then how many are accepted from those interviews? Thanks.

It looks like there isn't an option for days, but there is a number to call the admissions office and reschedule if you absolutely need to
I have an interview on Nov. 11th. Does anyone have an interview on that date? I applied to the pharmacy program at LECOM-Erie

Does anyone know how many LECOM interviews and then how many are accepted from those interviews? Thanks.
I have no idea. I have an interview on Tuesday Nov. 11th. I have seen a few people have interviews from July 2014 through October 2014 from earlier threads. I'm not sure if everyone was accepted. But I've seen a lot of people get accepted and posted here. Have you applied and received an interview?

Our guesses are around 7500 applications, narrowed down to around 1500 interviews (20%), narrowed down to around 350 seats. (Erie & Seton Hill, and again, near 25%) I would say that it takes at least 700 acceptances to fill those seats, since not everyone who is accepted will attend. Many will be accepted to other schools as well, sooner or later. These numbers are all based on estimations from the publicly available data, but can't be considered to be especially accurate.

So, I think if you get interviewed, you have a high likelihood of an acceptance or a place on the waiting list. Waiting lists at LECOM do move a lot, as I would image that they do at other schools as well. Some people will be outright rejected after the interview, and it is hard to say if the interview or something else in their file was responsible for that outcome.

I can say that the interview itself seems to be nothing more than a screen for personality issues. If you show up and are rude, inattentive, too shy to speak at all, etc. I think that will get a rejection at the interview. As long as you are personable, communicative, and as good a listener as a speaker during the group session, I don't think that the interview can hurt you. It might not win you a seat if the rest of your file isn't what they are looking for, but a person with a perfect paper application who is disrespectful or bizarre at the interview will not be admitted. Again, these are only my perceptions. I'm not an adcom, just an observant pre-med.

Our guesses are around 7500 applications, narrowed down to around 1500 interviews (20%), narrowed down to around 350 seats. (Erie & Seton Hill, and again, near 25%) I would say that it takes at least 700 acceptances to fill those seats, since not everyone who is accepted will attend. Many will be accepted to other schools as well, sooner or later. These numbers are all based on estimations from the publicly available data, but can't be considered to be especially accurate.

So, I think if you get interviewed, you have a high likelihood of an acceptance or a place on the waiting list. Waiting lists at LECOM do move a lot, as I would image that they do at other schools as well. Some people will be outright rejected after the interview, and it is hard to say if the interview or something else in their file was responsible for that outcome.

I can say that the interview itself seems to be nothing more than a screen for personality issues. If you show up and are rude, inattentive, too shy to speak at all, etc. I think that will get a rejection at the interview. As long as you are personable, communicative, and as good a listener as a speaker during the group session, I don't think that the interview can hurt you. It might not win you a seat if the rest of your file isn't what they are looking for, but a person with a perfect paper application who is disrespectful or bizarre at the interview will not be admitted. Again, these are only my perceptions. I'm not an adcom, just an observant pre-med.

Wait, a rejection at the interview?? They do that?

Does anyone know if Erie and Seton Hill are receptive to "in the area" emails? I am planning on flying to Pittsburgh in early December, and since I am coming from Florida it would be nice if I could save money by not paying for two flights if I am being considered for an interview.

Does anyone know if Erie and Seton Hill are receptive to "in the area" emails? I am planning on flying to Pittsburgh in early December, and since I am coming from Florida it would be nice if I could save money by not paying for two flights if I am being considered for an interview.
Worth a shot!

To the people who interviewed with LECOM-B already:

What are some things you like and dislike about the school? How is the interview day structured? Is there only the 1 group interview or do you also interview 1 on 1 with faculty as well? Thanks!

Wait, a rejection at the interview?? They do that?

Not like that. I didn't mean that they would tell someone there. I meant that if someone was really rude at the interview, that behavior could earn them a rejection, even if their file was great otherwise. I'm not always careful enough with my phrasing.

Interviewed Friday and it was a relaxed interview. Very professional atmosphere and the interviewers I had were very friendly. To anyone interviewing here in the future, just relax, be yourself, and everything will come together. The questions were simple: Name, where you went to school, describe some clinical or other relevant experiences, and then each person got a variation of the questions listed on the feedback page, nothing too difficult.

I literally almost passed out because I didn't eat until after the presentation and interview. Luckily, I had a Larabar in my bag to eat during the tour. I snuck a few pieces!!! hahaha

I was thinking about getting to lunch during the interview half the time haha

seems like everyone in every school's thread says the same thing "be yourself, etc". kind of reassuring since i have two interviews next week.... hopefully more on the way lol

To those who interviewed in October. Any news from the school?

been complete at LECOM-E 7/10..yet not a single word. got invites from states as far as WA, SC. even called two times to check on my status. No love from my home state. :(:eek::cyclops::uhno:

To those who interviewed in October. Any news from the school?

they said they would make there next batch of decisions mid november, apparently they are batching admission this year

Oh god. Thank you
I would say based on how they batched the past admission decisions, a September 30th decision, to expect your status to change sometime Wednesday-Friday 12th-14th and actually have a mailed decision in hand right on the 17th of November.

I might forfeit my 12/29 interview. Interviewing at lecom Bradenton this friday. Is Erie significantly different? Just want some opinions before I decide...

I might forfeit my 12/29 interview. Interviewing at lecom Bradenton this friday. Is Erie significantly different? Just want some opinions before I decide...

Didn't interview at Bradenton but did at Erie.. Bradenton only has PBL, at Erie you have the choice between PBL and lecture if lecture is something that interests you.

Congrats on Touro!

Didn't interview at Bradenton but did at Erie.. Bradenton only has PBL, at Erie you have the choice between PBL and lecture if lecture is something that interests you.

Congrats on Touro!
I see... got it. Thanks!!

Hey everyone! If anyone is interviewing on December 18, we should grab dinner the night before :)

I interviewed at both. Obviously, only PBL at Bradenton. I thought Bradenton had a warmer feel coming from the students and staff but not saying that Erie wasn't. Cost of living is higher in Florida and do you like snow?

I interviewed at both. Obviously, only PBL at Bradenton. I thought Bradenton had a warmer feel coming from the students and staff but not saying that Erie wasn't. Cost of living is higher in Florida and do you like snow?
Never really been around snow to be honest. I'm from socal.