Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are you?? Holy crap.

haha that's Buffalo. not really me, just subscribed to this thread and saw everyone talking about interviews in the snow

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
haha that's Buffalo. not really me, just subscribed to this thread and saw everyone talking about interviews in the snow
Apparently our friends who are interviewing today are getting 6-12 inches of snow. Oh happy day!

i just rescheduled my interview on friday. no way im driving through buffalo. tough decision though. good luck to everyone commuting

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha I just died laughing at this

:p

i have a current MCAT score that was obviously good enough for a secondary, but I also have a pending MCAT and i was wondering if anybody knew if LECOM would wait for those scores to review my application and decide on II/reject or if they would do it before the scores are reported.

Made it to Erie from Cleveland! Phew! Good luck to interviewees tmw :) There is a lot of snow here.... ._.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who made it to Erie in one piece today. Enjoy your interview tomorrow. Please be safe in your travels. Remember the most important thing is to just be yourself and enjoy the day. Be kind and helpful to other interviewees and polite to everyone who you interact with. Those are the qualities that will make you stand out in a good way!

I hope you find as much to love about the school as I did, despite the typical weather. You will have to take it on faith from those of us who saw the place a few weeks earlier that the surrounding area is really quite delightful for at least part of the year.

Reactions: 2 users
I would be one of those that was happy they didnt cancel the interview for snow. There was only 5-7 inches when I interviewed but I wouldn't have been able to rebook a flight and a hotel because of how expensive it would be. There were like 10 people that couldn't make it and let the staff know. I think they are really understanding and they have a sense of humor which is great.

Glad it worked out for you! I would give you extra points for coming! good luck and all the best!

Hope everyone who interviewed today had a wonderful time!! Stay safe in the snow/cold!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. Sitting on two acceptances.

Can you all please help me decide? I can't choose. I love both:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nova-versus-lecom-b.1108838/

This is not something that someone on a web site can decide for you. Each forum will be have different views. Make your own decision and do not look back. If you can't decide, flip a coin! That is about as reliable as asking someone's opinion. Everyone will have a pro or con about a place. I have learned that. What some people thought was the absolute best, I interviewed and was not impressed. To each his own! You seemed to have done your homework. Now only YOU will have to decide. No where is going to be absolutely perfect! Many on other threads are so pro PCOM! Love Philly etc. Philly was not kind to my medical school relatives. Had a car stolen and a home invasion. They were lucky. Just tied up and placed in the basement. My family after going through that are a tad nervous about Philly. Again, many love Philadelphia! Sometimes it is better being in a "small, boring town"

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how I'll walk to LECOM in dress shoes with 10 ft of snow next year:arghh::nailbiting::nailbiting:

I received the admission letter (very happy!). I plan to send my check shortly. Does the status in the portal change once they receive the check?? . How do we know they have received it and I am done , so that I donot have to worry anymore.
Thanks

I received the admission letter (very happy!). I plan to send my check shortly. Does the status in the portal change once they receive the check?? . How do we know they have received it and I am done , so that I donot have to worry anymore.
Thanks
They'll email you the second they get their money

Thanks
Also sent mine certified and signed receipt! Covered all my basis but as above answered said, they will change on the portal almost immediately! Congrats! Feels good to be accepted. I wish everyone will be someplace after all the dust settles. Dust will not settle until the day of classes. Moving, wheeling and dealing will go on until every last seat is taken at all colleges. Every seat that is not filled is 100,000 + dollars or more lost for the college in tuition.

I wonder how I'll walk to LECOM in dress shoes with 10 ft of snow next year:arghh::nailbiting::nailbiting:

It's called an overshoe (or overboot!). It's a waterproof boot with traction, and a gaiter combined. Slips over your penny loafers.

VIS1_li.jpg

https://www.overshoe.com/

There are so nice looking winter boots :) Don't worry! And I also agree with the overboot option!

Does "alternate acceptance" mean waitlist?
If so, how long does it usually take for someone to get off the waitlist?

How does do the statuses go step-by-step? I just received a "your application is under review" e-mail for LECOM Erie/Seton Hill. I put Seton Hill as my preferred campus.

Does "alternate acceptance" mean waitlist?
If so, how long does it usually take for someone to get off the waitlist?

I was waitlisted too so I called last week and they told me that by the end of the year there would be 150-200 on the waiting list. Obviously deposits are due December 15th so after that they will start sending out acceptance from the waitlist in a rolling fashion. They said the waitlist is not ranked. The admissions person I spoke with made me feel better because he said that anyone on the waitlist was someone we wanted to offer admission to but that they just don't have a seat right now. Looking at last years thread, someone said 70 out of 170 in the class were accepted off the waitlist which seems like a large amount of movement.

So I think my move is to stand still for now and see what happens but I am also considering sending a letter of intent. Thoughts?

I was waitlisted too so I called last week and they told me that by the end of the year there would be 150-200 on the waiting list. Obviously deposits are due December 15th so after that they will start sending out acceptance from the waitlist in a rolling fashion. They said the waitlist is not ranked. The admissions person I spoke with made me feel better because he said that anyone on the waitlist was someone we wanted to offer admission to but that they just don't have a seat right now. Looking at last years thread, someone said 70 out of 170 in the class were accepted off the waitlist which seems like a large amount of movement.

So I think my move is to stand still for now and see what happens but I am also considering sending a letter of intent. Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing that, I was also waitlisted and was debating whether I should call or not. I'm also curious what other people's opinion on sending a letter of intent, although from what you explained I don't think its really even necessary. According to you, the admissions person said that being on the waitlist means they like us but they just don't have the seats, and the waitlist isn't rank ordered, it's rolling. From my understanding an unranked (rolling) waitlist means our movement off the waitlist is solely dictated by our physical position on the waitlist (i.e. those who were put on the waitlist back in October will move off the waitlist before those who were put on the waitlist in November)..at least that's my understanding of it. Can anyone shed light on this?

I interviewed back in August but deferred my decision to November. I would hope they would review applicants in the order in which they interviewed!

Yeah I would imagine those who were in the 'system' the longest are probably at the top of the waitlist.

he said that anyone on the waitlist was someone we wanted to offer admission to but that they just don't have a seat right now.

Yeah I think that there's some BS to that because I interviewed in August and was waitlisted.

Yeah I think that there's some BS to that because I interviewed in August and was waitlisted.
I would say it's highly pathway-dependent too. They probably waitlist applicants early who chose APAP, DSP, and PBL even since they can't fill up all of those pathways in the first 2 months of interviewing!

Thanks for sharing that, I was also waitlisted and was debating whether I should call or not. I'm also curious what other people's opinion on sending a letter of intent, although from what you explained I don't think its really even necessary. According to you, the admissions person said that being on the waitlist means they like us but they just don't have the seats, and the waitlist isn't rank ordered, it's rolling. From my understanding an unranked (rolling) waitlist means our movement off the waitlist is solely dictated by our physical position on the waitlist (i.e. those who were put on the waitlist back in October will move off the waitlist before those who were put on the waitlist in November)..at least that's my understanding of it. Can anyone shed light on this?

They tell people it isn't "ranked", but don't believe that they mean they aren't selective with who they lift off. Its not based solely on timing. You can look at people who got lifted off the waitlist in the past. It didn't seem to matter when they interviewed, because many people got off the list before others who were waitlisted earlier.

Also, they definitely have seats left. That said, if they didn't like you, they'd reject you. They have no problem rejecting people post-interview. They only waitlist people they'd consider accepting, because usually a good amount get off the waitlist.

Yeah, its not so much about no spots as much as its about if they really didn't want you to attend, they would have rejected you.

Yeah I would imagine those who were in the 'system' the longest are probably at the top of the waitlist.
So far, if you look at the last few cycle's threads, people with higher stats were lifted off first, which makes the most sense. They obviously want to fill their seats with the best possible applicants.

So far, if you look at the last few cycle's threads, people with higher stats were lifted off first, which makes the most sense. They obviously want to fill their seats with the best possible applicants.
Sounds very holistic

Hello everyone, I just got an interview invite 2 days ago, Monday morning. I tried to email back to confirm my interview date today, beating the 72 hour deadline. However, I got automatic emails saying that the person on the other end of that email address will not be back until december 1st, which is my interview date, and I'm worried my interview date will not be saved. Also I am trying to rush my DO letter to them because I didn't think my interview would be so soon, is DO letter mandatory if I have an MD and 2 professor letters? Thank you for any help.

Hello everyone, I just got an interview invite 2 days ago, Monday morning. I tried to email back to confirm my interview date today, beating the 72 hour deadline. However, I got automatic emails saying that the person on the other end of that email address will not be back until december 1st, which is my interview date, and I'm worried my interview date will not be saved. Also I am trying to rush my DO letter to them because I didn't think my interview would be so soon, is DO letter mandatory if I have an MD and 2 professor letters? Thank you for any help.

Try calling the school. Also, is there a way to confirm on the portal? I seem to remember that being the case a few years ago.

As far as the DO letter, it is always required, however, they have been flexible with people in the past. Talk to them on the day of your interview if you have problems finding a DO in your area. If you've already found one, but they won't be able to get the letter in by your interview, explain that to them as well. People have been able to send in the letter later, but just keep LECOM informed of the situation. Generally the letter is just a requirement and doesn't significantly affect your chances, unless the writer is an alum with connections.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thankful for my acceptance here :)

The prerequisites under my "Required Letters and Credits" tab were finally entered in!

Out of curiosity, do they usually enter everything before an ii or do they enter it for everyone regardless of whether or not they have the intention of giving an ii?
Just don't want to get my hopes up. Also, sorry if this was already asked! Don't really wanna go through all 27 pages of this thread... :shy:

Last, but certainly not least, happy thanksgiving, everyone! :happy:

The prerequisites under my "Required Letters and Credits" tab were finally entered in!

Out of curiosity, do they usually enter everything before an ii or do they enter it for everyone regardless of whether or not they have the intention of giving an ii?
Just don't want to get my hopes up. Also, sorry if this was already asked! Don't really wanna go through all 27 pages of this thread... :shy:

Usually they enter it in on the Monday of the interview week. That is the consensus I have seen so far. Hope you have a good thanksgiving!

I received an interview invite a couple of weeks ago and they updated my portal with everything this Monday. My interview is in late December

Hey thanks for the advice. I did end up calling the school and thankfully reached someone and they confirmed my interview. I do work for the DO now that I previously shadowed but our office has been extremely busy lately and he just finished it, I will be sure to bring it up at the interview. So excited, good luck everyone!

Anybody know if the tests are on the computer or paper? SHould I buy a windows PC?

Anybody know if the tests are on the computer or paper? SHould I buy a windows PC?
Sadly I read that they don't support Apple products, PC only. I'm not sure where I found it... but it makes me sad!

Sadly I read that they don't support Apple products, PC only. I'm not sure where I found it... but it makes me sad!

I remember reading that too. But if I remember correctly, they don't mean you can't use them, they just don't recommend it because there is nowhere nearby that can fix them if they have problems.

I remember reading that too. But if I remember correctly, they don't mean you can't use them, they just don't recommend it because there is nowhere nearby that can fix them if they have problems.
I'd like to figure this out before I set out looking for a new laptop!

I agree with UCGpremed. But those were some old posts, so I was wondering if anyone had updated info. I have a MAC and I am going to end up buying an inexpensive PC just in case. Just to be safe

I'd like to figure this out before I set out looking for a new laptop!

Haha yes definitely! Well, I'm not a computer guru or anything, but I know there is a way to have both operating systems on a mac so you can use it in windows when you need it. My roommate did this recently because the program he has to use for a class isn't compatible with Macs, so he just switches to windows when he needs to use it. It's something worth looking into.

Hi Everyone,
I have a quick question... I submitted my secondary application about a month ago and I was randomly checking my status today and I saw that for the Setton Hill campus it said I was invited for an interview and will be contacted via email... does anyone know how long it takes to receive the email? Also, I checked my status for the Erie campus and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 10 days." Does that mean i was rejected for that campus?

I have an interview coming up and I was wondering if I'll be interviewing for a spot on the wait list at this point in the cycle. I was looking through last years thread and many people were saying the class was full for people that interviewed in late November, so only wait list spots were being offered. Is that timeline something that will most likely happen this year also?