Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! Interviewing on 01/16 but I am very nervous about traveling with the snow. My entire extended family lives in Erie and I know it can be pretty terrible!

For all of those waiting for an interview the earliest date they had available was 01/15 and then pretty much every Thursday and Friday was open after that until the end of the cycle.
When were you complete may I ask?

Members don't see this ad.

No individual interviews, I wish... if I go here it'll be something I would take on to change with the administration! The individual portion that some of us mentioned is when the interviewers focus on one person and ask them a question only, instead of posing it to the group.
Aww, I thought you were for sure going here! I hope you do!

Aww, I thought you were for sure going here! I hope you do!

He is holding out hope for PCOM. Can't blame him, it is another great school. Here's hoping he sticks with us.

I had also been misinformed, thinking that there was an individual part of the interview. Have to say that I was delighted that there wasn't, in the end. The group interview works really well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I interviewed in Erie but I put SH as my first choice. Is there anything that I need to do? Do I need to reply and say that I'm accepting the offer or do I simply mail the check? Also it says that I have until January 3rd, is that post-marked or do I need to have it in by January 3rd? Thanks!

Accepted! I interviewed in Erie but I put SH as my first choice. Is there anything that I need to do? Do I need to reply and say that I'm accepting the offer or do I simply mail the check? Also it says that I have until January 3rd, is that post-marked or do I need to have it in by January 3rd? Thanks!
You mail the check certified mail with return receipt requested with the matriculation agreement form. Make sure to make a copy of it!

Reactions: 1 user
They do seem to get their mail pretty quickly when you send it according to those instructions, but I wouldn't wait until Jan 3rd if it were me. That check would be in the mail as soon as possible. At the very least, I'd give a few days of leeway. Erie, winter, snow, etc.

You mail the check certified mail with return receipt requested with the matriculation agreement form. Make sure to make a copy of it!
I'd also recommend NOT doing USPS's stupid email delivery confirmation- my letter was delivered early October and didn't get the confirmation until after the deadline passed. I knew it was there because LECOM emailed me and deposited the check, just was a waste of $5 for delivery confirmation.

Placed on alternate for acceptance. Sorry LECOM but f*** that, accepted at NYCOM and Nova, so I will be withdrawing my application here. Hope it goes to someone who really wants it.

Reactions: 2 users
Placed on alternate for acceptance. Sorry LECOM but f*** that, accepted at NYCOM and Nova, so I will be withdrawing my application here. Hope it goes to someone who really wants it.
Congrats on your other acceptances! Is this a post-interview response?

My understanding is that UPMC was asking LECOM to pay $3000 per student per month as a kind of rent for using their sites. In other words, LECOM was being asked for more than they even charge in tuition. I saw it as an economic attack launched because LECOM is almost 20k per year cheaper than Pitt.

That was very irritating to me, and basically looked like one more nasty tactic from an organization that has earned my disrespect. I am so delighted that their competitor hospital system is more reasonable. Even if I don't rotate in Pittsburgh, it is wonderful that Allegheny Health Network is providing that as an option.

I doubt it was a specific attack just because Pitt is more expensive than LECOM. I mean they're not really competing for the same applicants. It was likely more a combination of UPMC wanting money because every other non-Pitt med school pays to rotate there and a jab at LECOM for getting tighter with AHN/Highmark (the news conveniently came shortly after Highmark donated a bunch of money to LECOM).

This addition of a major clinical site that is part of AHN, and the fact that it's at Forbes in Monroeville is huge for LECOM. Not only is it a decent sized hospital very close to Pittsburgh, but it's part of the second biggest health system in the region that houses the second most number of GME positions in the region. Plus its expanding. The class of 2017 only has 26 spots there, but 2018 and on will have 52. It's looking more and more like LECOM will have plenty of solid rotation sites for some time to come, and there may actually be better standardization of clinical education quality with the majority going to year-longs in decent sized hospitals.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it was a specific attack just because Pitt is more expensive than LECOM. I mean they're not really competing for the same applicants. It was likely more a combination of UPMC wanting money because every other non-Pitt med school pays to rotate there and a jab at LECOM for getting tighter with AHN/Highmark (the news conveniently came shortly after Highmark donated a bunch of money to LECOM).

You are right regarding UPMC's motives being a little more nuanced than I made them out to be, but it was still a jab. UPMC does nothing that isn't political as well as practical. Everything, even the good things they do, ends up tainted with their agenda of aggressive competition and expansion. They do not act at all as if they are a nonprofit.

You are right regarding UPMC's motives being a little more nuanced than I made them out to be, but it was still a jab. UPMC does nothing that isn't political as well as practical. Everything, even the good things they do, ends up tainted with their agenda of aggressive competition and expansion. They do not act at all as if they are a nonprofit.
Nonprofit with no employees ;) Haha

Hey, how long does it take to be offered an interview post-secondary confirmation? I called LECOM a while ago and they said they were backlogged with apps so I'm still under review... I wonder if that's still the case.

Last edited:
Hey, how long does it take to be offered an interview post-secondary confirmation? I called LECOM in November and they said they were backlogged with apps so I'm still under review... I wonder if that's still the case.
Well first off, don't come in expecting an interview. LECOM's class seems to be pretty full, but they will still interview! I would think at this point it would be relatively quick from when you submit, they review you, and then they make a decision on whether or not to interview- mine was a matter of 5 days in August.

Well first off, don't come in expecting an interview. LECOM's class seems to be pretty full, but they will still interview! I would think at this point it would be relatively quick from when you submit, they review you, and then they make a decision on whether or not to interview- mine was a matter of 5 days in August.

Well it's good to hear that your decision was quick... did you choose to attend LECOM?
I'm a pretty good applicant with an MCAT that's average for this school. My sGPA/cGPA are significantly above average... plus several ECs (200+ hrs) that show commitment to medicine, and have shadowed a DO... The wait is just baffling because I already have an ii at another school. I've also noticed that other applicants with really high stats haven't heard from any DO schools...

Well it's good to hear that your decision was quick... did you choose to attend LECOM?
I'm a pretty good applicant with an MCAT that's average for this school. My sGPA/cGPA are significantly above average... plus several ECs (200+ hrs) that show commitment to medicine, and have shadowed a DO... The wait is just baffling because I already have an ii at another school. I've also noticed that other applicants with really high stats haven't heard from any DO schools...
So I have a few issues with your post...

"Other applicants with really high stats haven't heard from DO school." I don't like what you're insinuating.
"The wait is just baffling..." The cycle begins in June and ends practicably in May unless you're on a waitlist. So, what's baffling? Also when did you actually submit to LECOM?
Our buddy @Promethean has very high stats and has been accepted here. Maybe they don't like your clinical and volunteer experiences?

So I have a few issues with your post...

"Other applicants with really high stats haven't heard from DO school." I don't like what you're insinuating.
"The wait is just baffling..." The cycle begins in June and ends practicably in May unless you're on a waitlist. So, what's baffling? Also when did you actually submit to LECOM?
Our buddy @Promethean has very high stats and has been accepted here. Maybe they don't like your clinical and volunteer experiences?

I am simply "insinuating" that I'm not the only one who hasn't received an interview despite high stats. There's no need to feel like your feathers are being ruffled. I'm not interested in allo schools...
It is indeed baffling that it takes some people a very short time to be reviewed, while a similar school has already reviewed my secondary and moved the process along. Both secondaries were sent out on the same day in early Oct.

Last edited:
I am simply "insinuating" that I'm not the only one who hasn't received an interview despite high stats. There's no need to feel like your feathers are being ruffled. LECOM is my 2nd choice and I'm not interested in allo schools...
It is indeed baffling that it takes some people a very short time to be reviewed, while a similar school has already reviewed my secondary and moved the process along. Both secondaries were sent out on the same day in early Oct.
Gotcha. Just remember LECOM gets the most apps of any DO school IIRC. And this year numbers are up because the MCAT is changing! No harm meant btw, just have seen too many "DO schools are easier to get into" trolls.

I am simply "insinuating" that I'm not the only one who hasn't received an interview despite high stats. There's no need to feel like your feathers are being ruffled. LECOM is my 2nd choice and I'm not interested in allo schools...

I am not sure if LECOM is one of the schools that look for something in the applicants for early invites other than just high stats. I was invited for interview in early October, nearly a month after my secondary/payment was completed. And my stats aren't high at all. Average if not slightly lower. But I think the reason I received the invite was because from the very start, I appealed my strong interest in family medicine and specifically DO program in my personal statement.

So truthfully, it might be more random than you think. For some reason, there are good amount of posts on SDN who think they should have received invites from DO schools by now, but I think DO schools are getting more selective - which might not necessarily be based on just stats. So all I can really say is be patient.

I am not sure if LECOM is one of the schools that look for something in the applicants for early invites other than just high stats. I was invited for interview in early October, nearly a month after my secondary/payment was completed. And my stats aren't high at all. Average if not slightly lower. But I think the reason I received the invite was because from the very start, I appealed my strong interest in family medicine and specifically DO program in my personal statement.

So truthfully, it might be more random than you think. For some reason, there are good amount of posts on SDN who think they should have received invites from DO schools by now, but I think DO schools are getting more selective - which might not necessarily be based on just stats. So all I can really say is be patient.

Certainly, the DO schools are getting more selective each year. I also mentioned osteopathic interest in my PS, by the way. That's what I'm set on doing. I'll wait a little more, but I feel like I want to call LECOM to make sure nothing's wrong... :nailbiting: Should I try that tomorrow?

Last edited:
I submitted in August and I have heard absolutely NOTHING from this school. It's kind of ridiculous actually. People after me have heard back. Anyone in the same boat?

Certainly, the DO schools are getting more selective each year. I also mentioned osteopathic and hospitalist interest in my PS, by the way. That's what I'm set on doing. I'll wait a little more, but I feel like I want to call LECOM to make sure nothing's wrong... :nailbiting: Should I try that tomorrow?

To be honest, if you call them, they won't tell you what's wrong with your application. If you call them too often you might even be pestering them (esp if they told you they are already back-logged). It's also the year end and holiday season so I don't think they will do any more.

Is it just this school you are concerned about? Have you heard back from other schools? If you have heard back from other schools, I think you would have an idea where you stand in the overall application process.

There are SO many applications. It just isn't possible that they are all processed without any errors at all. Probably it is just taking as long as it takes, but just in case, a call isn't likely to hurt the situation.

There are SO many applications. It just isn't possible that they are all processed without any errors at all. Probably it is just taking as long as it takes, but just in case, a call isn't likely to hurt the situation.
I like your answer.

Is there anyway I can talk to someone about coursework? My portal says I am deficient some credits, and I have taken them, but may have mislabeled them on AACOMAS. Can I have someone send a letter or call?

Is there anyway I can talk to someone about coursework? My portal says I am deficient some credits, and I have taken them, but may have mislabeled them on AACOMAS. Can I have someone send a letter or call?
Contact AACOMAS directly with the problem. They will advise!

Also interviewed on 10/31 - still have not heard :-(

I just checked on my portal, status changes some time in the last few days. Says they have made a decision and i will receive the deciscion in the next few days. also interviewed on the 31st

AACOMAS will fix it over the phone. I had to do the same thing!

I had this issue too- they said I was deficient on English and I called and explained since my school does something a bit different. They accepted my alternative job and fixed the portal right away!

Hey all, I just found out I was accepted to MSUCOM today (and it's my birthday! What a present!) so I will be withdrawing from the class of 2019 at LECOM. Although forfeiting my deposit isn't the nicest thing to do, I'm really glad to offer this spot to one of you guys hoping to get accepted here in the next few months!

Good luck everyone! Stay positive, and if you have to reapply a second year like I had to, just keep your head in the game and you will achieve success!!!

Reactions: 3 users
A
Hey all, I just found out I was accepted to MSUCOM today (and it's my birthday! What a present!) so I will be withdrawing from the class of 2019 at LECOM. Although forfeiting my deposit isn't the nicest thing to do, I'm really glad to offer this spot to one of you guys hoping to get accepted here in the next few months!

Good luck everyone! Stay positive, and if you have to reapply a second year like I had to, just keep your head in the game and you will achieve success!!!
Aw shucks, well best of luck to you at MSU!

Perhaps we should start a LECOM acceptance thread so we don't muck up this one more than we already have!? lol Or join the Class of 2019 Facebook group!

can you send me the link to the group please? :)

Happy birthday and a huge congrats!!

Hi all,

Status just changed to have made a decision will notify you within thirty days - is this good, bad, or just cannot tell at this point? Thanks.

Hi all,

Status just changed to have made a decision will notify you within thirty days - is this good, bad, or just cannot tell at this point? Thanks.

If you looked at earlier posts about that status, you will be receiving a letter in the mail.

Accepted, interviewed 10/31. PBL too.

my first choice was the APAP program but it is filled already, so i am on the waiting list there

Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Question: Did you receive a phone call when you were accepted..? Just saw a status change from my interview review and not sure if I should call them...

No phone call, but you will receive a letter within 30 days like it says on the portal! I actually got mine within a week of the "a decision has been made" message.

Hi all,

Cannot tell. Gotta wait for the letter!

I believe they do their own screening. On my AACOMAS one of the classes was labeled as behavioral science but they took it as a behavioral science. I guess it could go either way.

Interviewed 11/14. Accepted today 12/20. Turning down my acceptance here though, hope it goes to someone deserving!

Reactions: 7 users
Just a quick question, will wait list decisions be updated via the website as alternate acceptance? Or do they send waitlist decisions via mail just like the other decisions?

Interviewed 12/12 and was told its about 2-3 weeks before they make a decision but looking at the posts in this thread it seems more like a full month.

All decisions are sent via mail.

Just a quick question, will wait list decisions be updated via the website as alternate acceptance? Or do they send waitlist decisions via mail just like the other decisions?

Interviewed 12/12 and was told its about 2-3 weeks before they make a decision but looking at the posts in this thread it seems more like a full month.

I was told 2-4 weeks and it ended up being about 6