Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
12/12 interview! Still haven't heard anything and my portal hasn't changed. This is quite a wait with no warning that it would be so long. I interviewed 12/19 at another school and heard back from them last week... this process is truly crazy

Members don't see this ad.

I still haven't received anything in the mail from Erie, however, I did receive a letter (pre-interview rejection) from LECOM Bradenton, with no portal change on the LECOM bradenton. I'm wondering if there was a mix-up and they updated it on the wrong part of portal. Any thoughts?
Same situation as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview this Thursday! (1/22) anyone else interviewing this week?

Hey everyone.. I don't usually participate in these forums and usually just read read read. But because these forums have been most helpful for me I would like to contribute my 2 cents :)

First I applied really late in the cycle... Primary app submitted: 12/4
Secondary request: 12/5
Secondary submit: 12/5
Interview invite: 12/30 today! Yay!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I just submitted my app (SUPER late, I know)...Just wondering if you have really good stats/ what my chances are :)

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get rejected by Erie? When did you apply?
I haven't heard anything from them. In the portal it looks as though I'm still being reviewed at Erie.

I took a late MCAT, so my scores were in to all the schools on October 9th. Everything else was in at the beginning of summer or (for secondaries) a day after I received them.

Applying to Medical school is not for the weak of heart or for sissies. I do not think I have been through anything more stressful in my life. From getting the necessary classes in undergrad. Maintaining a good GPA. Studying and taking the MCAT. Applying to umpteen medical schools, primary, secondaries, expense, waiting for interviews, wondering why you have not heard from some, interviews, traveling expenses, more expenses etc, I have had it! I have been accepted but just went on two more interviews to keep my options opened. For all of us..................I honestly wish all would be accepted somewhere. I am feeling for some of you but never give up hope. There is next cycle. The major month for "movement" is going to be in March when the dust has to settle with seats etc. Even though some put down a deposit for a medical school, there are going to be changes. For those on the wait list, movement will occur. Interviews will be ongoing until March from what I have been told but I think all applications should already be in to the schools you are interested in. I had mine in the first week the cycle opened up. Do not quote me but I think if you have not applied to a specific school, the end of this month might be too late but I think there are exceptions. For re applicants, apply as soon as the cycle opens up again but take the gap year to strengthen your stats. MBS program? Retake the MCAT if not happy with the score, Shadow Doctors, Community volunteer in the health field, EMT certification etc. For those who are accepted and are happy with the outcome, I wish you all the best. For those who will be re applicants, check this site........there are MANY who are re applicants who have been accepted after two tries. I do know this, the schools will ask you "what did you do to strengthen your stats during your gap year". They asked someone that during a group interview that I had. Much success to all!

Reactions: 3 users
Applying to Medical school is not for the weak of heart or for sissies. I do not think I have been through anything more stressful in my life. From getting the necessary classes in undergrad. Maintaining a good GPA. Studying and taking the MCAT. Applying to umpteen medical schools, primary, secondaries, expense, waiting for interviews, wondering why you have not heard from some, interviews, traveling expenses, more expenses etc, I have had it! I have been accepted but just went on two more interviews to keep my options opened. For all of us..................I honestly wish all would be accepted somewhere. I am feeling for some of you but never give up hope. There is next cycle. The major month for "movement" is going to be in March when the dust has to settle with seats etc. Even though some put down a deposit for a medical school, there are going to be changes. For those on the wait list, movement will occur. Interviews will be ongoing until March from what I have been told but I think all applications should already be in to the schools you are interested in. I had mine in the first week the cycle opened up. Do not quote me but I think if you have not applied to a specific school, the end of this month might be too late but I think there are exceptions. For re applicants, apply as soon as the cycle opens up again but take the gap year to strengthen your stats. MBS program? Retake the MCAT if not happy with the score, Shadow Doctors, Community volunteer in the health field, EMT certification etc. For those who are accepted and are happy with the outcome, I wish you all the best. For those who will be re applicants, check this site........there are MANY who are re applicants who have been accepted after two tries. I do know this, the schools will ask you "what did you do to strengthen your stats during your gap year". They asked someone that during a group interview that I had. Much success to all!

I think especially if you've applied more than once... you realize how much one acceptance is all you really need. It also gets much harder every year.

But on that note. I agree with silvermecca. If you think medicine is the way for you, then don't give up. I think better going all in for the process rather than regretting later.

Hello all

Does anyone know if there is a difference at LECOM Erie between alternate list and waitlisted?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed in late november/early december I just spoke to admissions at LECOM-E. They relayed to me that there was a large number of files to be reviewed by the dean for approval, and that it appears to be a little backed up at there is usual a 30 day limit for decisions. I interviewed 12/12 and had not heard back yet. Hope this helps any of you who are anxiously awaiting decisions, I will be attending elsewhere and have withdrawn my application. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from the school recently regarding an acceptance/waitlist/rejection? Does anyone know what day the admissions committee meets?

I interviewed at LECOM last week and was told that the ad com meets on Wednesdays, once decisions are made they go to the dean for approval, and finally a snail mail letter to the applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah sounds about right. My status changed last Wednesday saying I should get a letter by I guess Saturday ("within 10 days"). The walk to the mailbox after work this week has been pretty anxiety-inducing...

Yeah sounds about right. My status changed last Wednesday saying I should get a letter by I guess Saturday ("within 10 days"). The walk to the mailbox after work this week has been pretty anxiety-inducing...
When was your interview if you don't mind me asking?

Hello everyone! :) I have an ii for Erie on 1/30 and will be flying into the area early. I was wondering if any other interviewees or current students would be interested in grabbing lunch or dinner on Thursday? Let me know!

When was your interview if you don't mind me asking?
Update! Turns out letter had accidentally gone to my neighbors who delivered it to me this morning. Accepted at Seton Hill!
LizzyM ~69 (if you only count my second/better MCAT)
Complete mid September
II early October
Interview Jan 8
Status change Jan 14

Reactions: 3 users
Update! Turns out letter had accidentally gone to my neighbors who delivered it to me this morning. Accepted at Seton Hill!
Complete mid September
II early October
Interview Jan 8
Status change Jan 14

Wow, you had such a fast turnaround! Congrats!

Complete mid September
II early October
Interview Jan 8
Status change Jan 14

Congratulations! Was Seton Hill your first choice? That was a quick turnaround!

Congratulations! Was Seton Hill your first choice? That was a quick turnaround!
Thanks!
Yep, I marked Seton Hill as my first choice! Super surprised (and happy!) at this turnaround time, especially as a reapplicant. I feel like I can finally breathe :)

I interviewed December 19 and my status still hasn't changed. Should I be worried, or should I call?

I interviewed December 19 and my status still hasn't changed. Should I be worried, or should I call?

Camel22 said, "For those of you who interviewed in late november/early december I just spoke to admissions at LECOM-E. They relayed to me that there was a large number of files to be reviewed by the dean for approval, and that it appears to be a little backed up at there is usual a 30 day limit for decisions. I interviewed 12/12 and had not heard back yet. Hope this helps any of you who are anxiously awaiting decisions, I will be attending elsewhere and have withdrawn my application. Good luck!"

Camel22 said, "For those of you who interviewed in late november/early december I just spoke to admissions at LECOM-E. They relayed to me that there was a large number of files to be reviewed by the dean for approval, and that it appears to be a little backed up at there is usual a 30 day limit for decisions. I interviewed 12/12 and had not heard back yet. Hope this helps any of you who are anxiously awaiting decisions, I will be attending elsewhere and have withdrawn my application. Good luck!"
Thanks! I was just worried because of some other people's relatively fast turnaround. :)

ii today for march 30th at seton hill. not sure if i should go or if im just gunna be interviewing for a chance at the wait list...

I don't know about Seton, but at an Erie interview, I was told that late Feb forward is generally a wait list competition. I think it would be okay to call and ask, though, it's a completely understandable concern.
I've also heard that there's a lot of wait list movement, so I don't think that vying for a wait list seat is a bad idea, especially if you don't have any other acceptances.

Last edited:
I don't know about Seton, but at an Erie interview, I was told that late Feb forward is generally a wait list competition. I think it would be okay to call and ask, though, it's a completely understandable concern.
I've also heard that there's a lot of wait list movement, so I don't think that vying for a wait list seat is a bad idea, especially if you don't have any other acceptances.
True about that last part. I have four other interviews before that one hopefully one of them will accept me and that'll be the end of that.

I still haven't received an ii yet (from anywhere). I was complete in early November. Does this mean my chances for this cycle are pretty much shot?

I still haven't received an ii yet (from anywhere). I was complete in early November. Does this mean my chances for this cycle are pretty much shot?

I don't think you should completely lose your hope yet (there are few that come in Feb/March latest), but it wouldn't hurt to start mentally preparing for what to do for the next year in case you don't hear back from any schools. But before that, if you haven't sent in letters of interest/intent or sent in any updates yet, I would do so right now. I was in your place last year and ended up having to reapply again but it wouldn't hurt to look at your application again and see where you can make improvements. But, like I said, don't completely lose your hope yet.

I was wondering if any applicants from the Jan 15th or 16th interviews had heard back from LECOM or had a status change online? I know it might be a bit early, but I'm still curious.

I was wondering if any applicants from the Jan 15th or 16th interviews had heard back from LECOM or had a status change online? I know it might be a bit early, but I'm still curious.
I interviewed on the 16th and my online status changed, saying that the committee had made a decision and I'd receive a letter within 30 days, last Wednesday (the 21st). Still anxiously waiting for the letter to arrive though!

Thanks for the response. I interviewed the same day but haven't had a status change as of yet, still says thank you for interviewing and that I'll be notified when the committee makes a decision. Very anxious for reach of us, good luck.

Thanks for the response. I interviewed the same day but haven't had a status change as of yet, still says thank you for interviewing and that I'll be notified when the committee makes a decision. Very anxious for reach of us, good luck.
Thanks. I'm not sure if my quick turnaround is a good or bad thing. Good luck to you, too! Hopefully you'll at least get a portal change soon.

Does anyone know when/how often they meet to discuss our files? I've read from other Sdn people that ECOM is running behind and it is taking longer than the 30 days they promised in the interview. 1/16/15 interviewer

Does anyone know when/how often they meet to discuss our files? I've read from other Sdn people that ECOM is running behind and it is taking longer than the 30 days they promised in the interview. 1/16/15 interviewer
I believe they meet weekly on Wednesdays. I think they're still fairly behind because it seems like some people from mid December haven't heard back. I interviewed on December 29th and haven't had a portal update yet.

I believe they meet weekly on Wednesdays. I think they're still fairly behind because it seems like some people from mid December haven't heard back. I interviewed on December 29th and haven't had a portal update yet.
I interviewed December 18, and same. I might give them a call though to make sure everything is complete

1/16 interview and portal update 1/21. Received my decision letter today and waitlisted. I thought with the quick turnaround it'd either be an acceptance or rejection, and not leave me stuck in the middle.

1/16 interview and portal update 1/21. Received my decision letter today and waitlisted. I thought with the quick turnaround it'd either be an acceptance or rejection, and not leave me stuck in the middle.
I interviewed the same day and I was hoping with another Wednesday having gone by that my portal would be updated, but I'm still hurrying up and waiting like many of us.

It's interesting that some folks are having a fast turnaround. Did you rank Seton Hill as your top choices?

I interviewed December 19 and haven't had a portal change yet. On the bright side, it's given me a chance to hear back from other schools without having to stress about potentially having to put down a deposit here.

Here's hoping for good news for all in due time!

Reactions: 2 users
It's interesting that some folks are having a fast turnaround. Did you rank Seton Hill as your top choices?

I interviewed December 19 and haven't had a portal change yet. On the bright side, it's given me a chance to hear back from other schools without having to stress about potentially having to put down a deposit here.

Here's hoping for good news for all in due time!
No, Seton Hill was actually my third choice.

I was on the Jan 8th interview date, and I haven't heard back or a status change online.

Received an II today. I didn't think I'd have a chance since I applied so late (3 weeks ago).