Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so thrilled to finally have my first acceptance! Best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my first acceptance!! It feels grand

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! For the deposit, does anyone know if it is due to the office by the day or just postmarked by the date requested? I can't afford the deposit until my tax return comes in/next month's paycheck.....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted today! Would you guys mind sharing your stats? (hopeful waitlister here)
Sure! I had a 3.45 s/cgpa, 28 mcat with an uneven 11/10/7, and decent ECs. Good luck! It sounds like a lot of people came off the waitlist last year.

Waitlisted with a 3.36cGPA/3.30sGPA/36 MCAT. I think I'm accepting at ATSU-KCOM anyway, so good luck to others on the waitlist! I'll be withdrawing.

Sure! I had a 3.45 s/cgpa, 28 mcat with an uneven 11/10/7, and decent ECs. Good luck! It sounds like a lot of people came off the waitlist last year.
If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Accepted today! For the deposit, does anyone know if it is due to the office by the day or just postmarked by the date requested? I can't afford the deposit until my tax return comes in/next month's paycheck.....
When did you interview and what are your stats? if you don't mind me asking..

I thought it was up to 30 days? ugh the wait D:
Yeah I think the admissions staff has been pretty far behind (maybe due to the holidays?). They told me they'd have a decision made in 21 days following my interview. Didn't quite turn out that way.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you interview and what are your stats? if you don't mind me asking..
12/19; 3.5 GPA, 31 MCAT (11-10-10). But I don't think stats are a great gauge of me as an applicant, so take those with a grain of salt

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still interviewing for actual spots or wait list?

Has anyone been accepted off the wait list this cycle yet? I just received an email the other day essentially saying that over next few months they'll be pulling people off to fill open spots. (Hopeful wait listed applicant!)

Has anyone been accepted off the wait list this cycle yet? I just received an email the other day essentially saying that over next few months they'll be pulling people off to fill open spots. (Hopeful wait listed applicant!)

I received that same email yesterday. Do you know where we can send an update letter?

I received that same email yesterday. Do you know where we can send an update letter?
I was trying to figure that out myself. I would say probably either Amy Rowe or Lisa Kalivoda. I was thinking of sending a letter to the admissions office with the attention of either Amy or Lisa listed.

Last edited:
Interviewed 1-23, Accepted 2-17.
3.96 GPA, 30 MCAT, and lots of service/leadership experiences.
At my interview day, they said it just had to be postmarked by the date it listed, but the letter said it needed to be received by then. Not sure what to believe!

I just submitted my secondary to LECOM-Erie. Is is too late in the game?????????????????

I just submitted my secondary to LECOM-Erie. Is is too late in the game?????????????????

In all honesty I think it is too late in the game. You still have a chance, but it's a slim chance in my opinion. The majority of classes are being filled at medical schools as we speak and unless your stats are spectacular then there is a high chance of being waitlisted or rejected. I got accepted into a school, back in November, and saw someone post in December and January with the same/similar stats if not better and they got waitlisted or rejected. I highly recommend applying earlier for the best chances. I think it's too late in my opinion.

People recently accepted here have higher stats than I do. @ohdohopeful you're WAY too late in the game. I applied 8.5 months ago.

Interviewed 1/30! Looks like I should be hearing back soon. Congrats to everyone who got accepted. i really love LECOM, mostly due to the students I met! Hopefully I get to join you all! :)

Anyone interview in February? This school has the biggest class (like 370 students) so they probably haven't given out all the acceptances right? Haven't heard back from them since completing my app in November.

Anyone interview in February? This school has the biggest class (like 370 students) so they probably haven't given out all the acceptances right? Haven't heard back from them since completing my app in November.
Sorry that was wrong I thought I posted this elsewhere They haven't given out all acceptances yet.

Last edited:
People are being wait listed, so it seems as though they have. LDP wait list likely moves faster, though.

People are being wait listed, so it seems as though they have. LDP wait list likely moves faster, though.
But don't they first decide if they are going to accept you and then place you in your program?

But don't they first decide if they are going to accept you and then place you in your program?

1. They hand out acceptances at the same time as they do waitlist spots, so I think its very safe to assume they still have some acceptances to hand out. Though its probably a majority waitlist right now.
-Caveat to that is that as you read through this and previous years forums, you find the waitlist at LECOM moves quite a bit, so even if a waitlist is given...its a good chance (yet not a guarantee) that it will become an acceptance
-Another thing to note is how long they take to get to students right now after they interview. I interviewed at LECOM-Erie first of any school, and three since and have gotten two acceptances while still not hearing back from LECOM, so I will be turning either a waitlist or acceptance down from here. I think a lot of other interviewees will be in the same boat. So if you are banking on LECOM-Erie/Seton hill...this could help you as well.

2. Yes, from the interview they accept you first, then determine what learning pathway you will be placed in. Perhaps there was something else deejaymd was eluding too?

Just sent my update letter to Amy Rowe. Looking at last year's thread the first acceptance off the alternate list occurred March 2nd (next week)!

can someone explain this alternate list thing? it's the same as a waitlist?

LDP is the biggest program and seemingly the least coveted so that's why I assumed a waitlist for this program would move faster than others. PBL's waitlist, for example, was already started back in December. There are some that ranked LDP lower than PBL, got accepted to LDP and waitlisted for PBL. They would be the first to move into the PBL spots, I'm guessing.

LDP is the biggest program and seemingly the least coveted so that's why I assumed a waitlist for this program would move faster than others. PBL's waitlist, for example, was already started back in December. There are some that ranked LDP lower than PBL, got accepted to LDP and waitlisted for PBL. They would be the first to move into the PBL spots, I'm guessing.
DSP has the smallest besides APAP I believe My guess is that it has been filled since the end of October! LDP definitely moves the most for waitlist.

1. They hand out acceptances at the same time as they do waitlist spots, so I think its very safe to assume they still have some acceptances to hand out. Though its probably a majority waitlist right now.
-Caveat to that is that as you read through this and previous years forums, you find the waitlist at LECOM moves quite a bit, so even if a waitlist is given...its a good chance (yet not a guarantee) that it will become an acceptance
-Another thing to note is how long they take to get to students right now after they interview. I interviewed at LECOM-Erie first of any school, and three since and have gotten two acceptances while still not hearing back from LECOM, so I will be turning either a waitlist or acceptance down from here. I think a lot of other interviewees will be in the same boat. So if you are banking on LECOM-Erie/Seton hill...this could help you as well.

Yes, same thing with me. I interviewed at 3 additional schools after LECOM, and heard about acceptances from those schools before I heard back from LECOM, so I withdrew my application there. I don't know if the delay is typical for them, but wonder if it will make for more waitlist movement this year.

can someone explain this alternate list thing? it's the same as a waitlist?
They are the same, I contacted LECOM to inquire after I was placed on the Alternate List. Also they told me that the order in which we ranked our learning pathways will not affect our chance of coming off the wait list (At least in terms of PBL vs LDP). They said first they decide to take us off the wait list and then place us in our highest ranked learning pathway that has open spots. Here's to hoping a lot of us get pulled off the list! And congrats to everyone whom was accepted!

APAP students choose which pathway to attend; if you are accepted into APAP then you choose LDP, PBL or DSP just like everyone else.

They are the same, I contacted LECOM to inquire after I was placed on the Alternate List. Also they told me that the order in which we ranked our learning pathways will not affect our chance of coming off the wait list (At least in terms of PBL vs LDP). They said first they decide to take us off the wait list and then place us in our highest ranked learning pathway that has open spots. Here's to hoping a lot of us get pulled off the list! And congrats to everyone whom was accepted!
Thanks for the reply! And good luck to you!

Man, what is going on this year. We used to hear a decision within 2 wks of our interviews. It really sucks that you guys are waiting even longer. I guess they're trying something new..

Interview: January 16th
Portal change: February 13th
Received letter: February 21st
I have been accepted but I am going to Marian. Good luck to everyone else!

Just got an interview. Thrilled :).. Any recommendations for the interview

Just got an interview. Thrilled :).. Any recommendations for the interview
Be yourself, be respectful of others speaking (it's a group interview), dress appropriately (suit), and make eye contact. All of the usual interview stuff. I really enjoyed my interview day at LECOM!

Does our deposit need to be received by the date they indicated on our acceptance letter or postmarked by the date indicated?

Hey everyone! I'm hoping to apply to LECOM next cycle with 25 MCAT and 3.8 gpa. What do you guys think my chances are here? I'm looking at previous posts on this thread and it seems like most people's MCAT scores are way higher. Am I considered below competitive here just looking at stats? I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct place to ask!

Write a great personal statement, get your good clinical volunteering and exposure. And apply broadly. Those who get accepted into a program normally apply to 15-20 schools total. What I would do is go to the "what are my chances forum," list your full stats (MCAT, cGPA and sGPA, and EC's) and ask for a list of schools to apply to.

25 is slightly below the average, but remember averages are just that, average. They include the uppers and the lowers.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Just one more Q -- will the lack of a reference letter from a DO be detrimental to my application? I live in Canada and it's hard to find one where I live :( Even if I find one to meet and shadow, I'm not sure I could ask for a letter so soon by May when I'm hoping to submit applications.
I am just an applicant this cycle but...I know you could always submit your DO recommendation letter later on after you submit your application....like maybe during the summer...

From personal experience, you can get an interview without a DO letter, but your app is not complete for committee review until you submit one. Long story short, you have plenty of time for a DO letter.