Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I have not gotten the chance to read all about LECOM yet.

I remember reading somewhere that PBL students don't get cadavers but I can't find it again. Does anyone know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading somewhere that PBL students don't get cadavers but I can't find it again. Does anyone know if this is true?

I can't speak for Erie but if you applied to Bradenton as well we have cadavers however they are prosected by the TAs and professors.

This is true. They don't like to advertise it... On interview day they said the 3D computerized cadavers are equally as good to learn from as the human cadavers. It is a prosection lab which apparently many students like better since they don't cut through fat all day and can quickly see what they need to learn about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is true. They don't like to advertise it... On interview day they said the 3D computerized cadavers are equally as good to learn from as the human cadavers. It is a prosection lab which apparently many students like better since they don't cut through fat all day and can quickly see what they need to learn about.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm conflicted because I think I find the PBL path more appealing but feel like I'd be missing out on a lot not having a cadaver. I was a neuroscience major in undergrad and I remember how easy it was to remember structures and cranial nerves after I actually dissected a sheep's brain.

By "prosected" do you mean that someone else dissects and the cadaver is available for you to look at? Or is that simply referring to the computerized "dissection."

My interview isn't until October, though so I guess I have a bit of time to decide on what I want.

What path do you all plan on picking as your first choice?

Correct, summer students/workers dissect the body so students don't have to cut everything.

I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology. I think the instructor prossects (sp?) the cadaver aka dissects it in front of students as a demonstration and then you learn by poking around your cadaver that's already been taken care of.

I was fascinated by PBL and almost chose it but didn't have any experience to reassure me I would be successful in that pathway. They make it seem like PBL is the only way to get cases to learn from, which is false. Second year of LDP (that's the acronym right?) is systems based and includes cases in that curriculum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I chose Early Decision (decision by Sept 30) - If accepted I'm getting out my checkbook for a seat right away, that's how convinced I am about this school

Thanks for the feedback! Is the deposit refundable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol not sure how you missed everyone complaining about the $1500 non-refundable deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, wow! That's what I get for skipping the first 3 pages of the thread... Yikes. Any idea if you pick the defer option if you also have only 30 days to decide after an acceptance is given?

@gc7777 Pretty sure until November it's 30 days, then November-December is 14 days, then January onward is immediately.

Thanks @stickshifthonda for the info. Do you guys think that choosing the deferring option puts you at a disadvantage? Meaning, they are less willing to accept you because they may assume you would attend somewhere else?

Thanks @stickshifthonda for the info. Do you guys think that choosing the deferring option puts you at a disadvantage? Meaning, they are less willing to accept you because they may assume you would attend somewhere else?
At the interview they said it doesn't affect the decision, but if you want to go PBL, there may not be seats left because they could be taken. You have the option to rank your pathways, so you might not get your first option if the pathway is full.

At the interview they said it doesn't affect the decision, but if you want to go PBL, there may not be seats left because they could be taken. You have the option to rank your pathways, so you might not get your first option if the pathway is full.
This wait is excruciating huh @mikerowesvoice? And it's only been a week and a half haha

Hello, so something came up with work and I need to reschedule my interview. I already rescheduled once by email. Now, I would like to call to reschedule an interview in order to guarantee a date that I want. Is calling LECOM an acceptable thing to do or will they just tell me to email them again? I was thinking about calling their main number to direct me to someone who can help. Help? Thanks!

Hello, so something came up with work and I need to reschedule my interview. I already rescheduled once by email. Now, I would like to call to reschedule an interview in order to guarantee a date that I want. Is calling LECOM an acceptable thing to do or will they just tell me to email them again? I was thinking about calling their main number to direct me to someone who can help. Help? Thanks!

They specifically tell you to email if you need to reschedule. Rescheduling twice seems pretty ridiculous though, I'd try to go to the interview you're scheduled for... if I were an adcom I wouldn't look at that very positively.

Placed on hold :/ 24-26 mcat, 3.6+ At least it's not a rejection... Yet lol

I always wonder if schools know how much you log into your portal and check your status, and if that affects their decision based on your interest in their school! :bucktooth:

Hi there,

I got an interview invitation about a week ago, should I schedule it ASAP?

As in, is it in my best interest to interview as early as I can?

Also, what should I do to prepare for this interview? Btw, just a shout out to the underdogs out there, i have a 3.2 GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, what should I do to prepare for this interview? Btw, just a shout out to the underdogs out there, i have a 3.2 GPA.

Depends.. I would schedule it asap .. they have a regular decision and early decision option. Look up in the thread to learn more about it. I would look at the thread also as people have posted interview type questions .. its a group interview. I would visit the LECOM interview feedback page to look a previous question and practice answering some of the individual questions. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview scheduled for Friday, but I still don't have a D.O. letter to give them. Should I call/email them and cancel?

I have an interview scheduled for Friday, but I still don't have a D.O. letter to give them. Should I call/email them and cancel?
LECOM is one of the few schools who will allow you to meet with one of their staff and write a letter for you. You should email them to set up one for when you visit.

LECOM is one of the few schools who will allow you to meet with one of their staff and write a letter for you. You should email them to set up one for when you visit.

Wow, really? That's pretty cool... I just called and they said I should still interview, but my file wont be reviewed until I have all my letters in.

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? How are you preparing/any advice?

I will be there tomorrow!

I just reviewed SDN Interview information on LECOM and prepared for obvious questions. Other than that I have read everything on the school's website and come up with some questions to ask.
You mean the sdn interview info as in like what questions are asked? Or like tips in general because id like some of them lol

Anyone try calling them to find out their decision, like the kids at Bradenton? lol

From what I've heard they don't even start looking at files until after August

I interviewed here and they said decisions will not be made until mid to late September.

This must be a new thing for them because last year's thread had numerous interviewees getting their decisions after a week

Me! Just got here.

Hey congrats do me a favor I forget the exact date and I just want to clarify about regular decision so tomorrow when you read the paper to check off .. can you make sure the date for reg. is made on Nov 17 ? Thanks or like this if you can attest to that!

Good luck tomorrow everyone! It's good to know I shouldn't expect anything for another 2 weeks.

Same. Just got to my hotel after 8 hours of driving. I am hungry, tired, and need a beer, but that would be ill advised

9 hours for me. I should have flown! I got a speeding ticket. Are you driving back tomorrow afternoon?

9 hours for me. I should have flown! I got a speeding ticket. Are you driving back tomorrow afternoon?
Dang that's a hell of a trip. That sucks tho! In which state? I saw a ton of people pulled over in Ohio. And yep... fun stuff!

How did it take for lecom to process the letters of rec after you sent them ? My committee is sending letters (via snail mail) to interfolio like today. Should I reschedule my interview ? It's in two weeks.

How did it take for lecom to process the letters of rec after you sent them ? My committee is sending letters (via snail mail) to interfolio like today. Should I reschedule my interview ? It's in two weeks.
You can interview without them receiving your letters of rec, contrary to the email they sent out. I interviewed today after they emailed me yesterday that my letters mysteriously had not been received. You're good bro

Hey congrats do me a favor I forget the exact date and I just want to clarify about regular decision so tomorrow when you read the paper to check off .. can you make sure the date for reg. is made on Nov 17 ? Thanks or like this if you can attest to that!

Yes, they start reviewing files on the 17th if you do not opt for "early decision."

Any indication on when the first files will be reviewed if you chose immediate/early review?