Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you submit the secondary if you don't mind?
Submitted 8/10, processed 8/12

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
File is under review since 7/28, and haven't recieved any news. Anyone in a similar situation? Does this mean silent rejection? This is for eerie and brandenton btw

File is under review since 7/28, and haven't recieved any news. Anyone in a similar situation? Does this mean silent rejection? This is for eerie and brandenton btw
Not necessarily, its still early in the cycle so it could happen. What are you stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 7/12 and got an II 8/11 so there is hope!

Reactions: 2 users

Same exact day as well. I'm starting to get nervous.

I got an II at Bradenton a little over a week ago but still radio silence from Erie :( Granted, it only took Bradenton about a week from completion to send me an II. How long is normal for an app to be under review? They sent me an email saying they had processed my secondary on 8/4

I got an II at Bradenton a little over a week ago but still radio silence from Erie :( Granted, it only took Bradenton about a week from completion to send me an II. How long is normal for an app to be under review? They sent me an email saying they had processed my secondary on 8/4

There is no such thing as normal. It's extremely early in the cycle. Nobody has any way of knowing why some people take longer to review than others. You may have identical stats as someone and it may take twice as long or never.

Does not getting an II when everyone is getting one mean you're waitlisted or rejected? Is that generally how the admission process works?

Does not getting an II when everyone is getting one mean you're waitlisted or rejected? Is that generally how the admission process works?

No that's not how it works.

It's all good man. I'm the opposite from you. I got an early II from Erie, but nothing from Bradenton. Patience, as long as we haven't been rejected yet it's all good in the hood, ya feel me (sorry not sorry).

No it does not mean rejection or waitlist yet. It does not mean that until you get the letter that states that...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's all good man. I'm the opposite from you. I got an early II from Erie, but nothing from Bradenton. Patience, as long as we haven't been rejected yet it's all good in the hood, ya feel me (sorry not sorry).

Haha glad to know I'm not the only one....I guess in my head I've just been like "Bradenton likes me, why not LECOM?" This process is making me neurotic :p

Does anyone know if LECOM cares about community college courses? I'm looking to boost my gpa for applying next year and cc is way more affordable. Thanks for the help!

I took some community college courses (science, lower div), but I also took some upper division science classes from UC Berkeley extension. Got an interview, not sure what exactly they took into consideration.

In the portal, does it say that the LOR requirement is met for those who have been offered interview? I sent mine through interfolio and they haven't shown up as received.

In the portal, does it say that the LOR requirement is met for those who have been offered interview? I sent mine through interfolio and they haven't shown up as received.

I interviewed 15 days ago and mine are still red. I emailed em about them and asked if I had to do anything, but they aaid they'd get them from aacomas.

Reactions: 1 users
I took some community college courses (science, lower div), but I also took some upper division science classes from UC Berkeley extension. Got an interview, not sure what exactly they took into consideration.
Thanks! I'm only planning to take 4 courses then apply next year so hopefully they see my continued effort. I'm a non-trad with an MPH just trying to correct some freshman mistakes.

II this morning as well! :) I haven't scheduled it yet though. Reading some of last year's post mentioned that you need a DO LOR to be accepted. Can anyone shed some light on this and whether or not it's true?

II this morning as well! :) I haven't scheduled it yet though. Reading some of last year's post mentioned that you need a DO LOR to be accepted. Can anyone shed some light on this and whether or not it's true?

Not this year.

If you don't mind me asking, when was your supplemental processed?

Hello All,

I just wanted to stop in and say welcome and congratulations to everyone applying, and getting II's.

I am a current OMS-I at LECOM-SH, and would love to answer your questions about application, and questions about the first couple weeks of OMS-I life.

A special congrats goes out to those who have been granted interviews. I have been seeing some people already showing up on campus for interviews. I understand it is a stressful process. My only piece of advice is to breathe and enjoy the process. The group interviews tend to be really chill. Just be yourself and don't worry about what you think they want to hear. I know I thought my interview was disastrous. But at the end of the day, I was true to myself and I got in. So no worries guys. If y'all are on campus and need a high five, I will be glad to distribute them at no extra charge.

Some other things I want to touch on is the dress code and drink/food policy. At first it seems like a huge deal, but I have found no issue with it. You will have breaks to go and do your thing, grab a snack or a drink. The dress code is what it is, everyone looks classy and "professional." I have found no issue with it, and this is coming from someone who was known for wearing pajamas and hoodies to class.

Anyways, Feel free to message me and I wish you all the best this application cycle.

Cheers

Reactions: 8 users
Hello All,

I just wanted to stop in and say welcome and congratulations to everyone applying, and getting II's.

I am a current OMS-I at LECOM-SH, and would love to answer your questions about application, and questions about the first couple weeks of OMS-I life.

A special congrats goes out to those who have been granted interviews. I have been seeing some people already showing up on campus for interviews. I understand it is a stressful process. My only piece of advice is to breathe and enjoy the process. The group interviews tend to be really chill. Just be yourself and don't worry about what you think they want to hear. I know I thought my interview was disastrous. But at the end of the day, I was true to myself and I got in. So no worries guys. If y'all are on campus and need a high five, I will be glad to distribute them at no extra charge.

Some other things I want to touch on is the dress code and drink/food policy. At first it seems like a huge deal, but I have found no issue with it. You will have breaks to go and do your thing, grab a snack or a drink. The dress code is what it is, everyone looks classy and "professional." I have found no issue with it, and this is coming from someone who was known for wearing pajamas and hoodies to class.

Anyways, Feel free to message me and I wish you all the best this application cycle.

Cheers

Thanks! Appreciate you coming back here. Just really quickly, did you interview at Seton Hill or Erie ? Did you visit both campuses before deciding/how did you choose Seton Hill?

Thanks! Appreciate you coming back here. Just really quickly, did you interview at Seton Hill or Erie ? Did you visit both campuses before deciding/how did you choose Seton Hill?

I interviewed at Seton Hill. I did not have the pleasure of visiting both campuses. In fact, my interview day was my first visit to the Seton Hill campus. What drove me to the Seton Hill campus was: 1) was the PBL curriculum, 2) school size and 3) location. From what I had read, it was the type of learning style that best fit with the way I learn best. It puts the material in context with clinical cases. That being said, the first few weeks, Histology and Embryology are lecture. Anatomy is more self directed learning and you have labs with your PBL group where one student is designated the leader who guides the learning. I also, I found I really benefit from a smaller, tight knit student body in my undergraduate experience. So far I haven't been disappointed with that. Everyone, including myself, tries to help each other to learn. I don't sense the cut throat/gunner atmosphere that I sensed at other schools.

Locationwise, I wanted a place that wasn't as cold or snowy as where I was from. You may ask what about the Bradenton? Well, I don't do well with humidity. Whenever humidity starts to get bad, I start to melt.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at Seton Hill. I did not have the pleasure of visiting both campuses. In fact, my interview day was my first visit to the Seton Hill campus. What drove me to the Seton Hill campus was: 1) was the PBL curriculum, 2) school size and 3) location. From what I had read, it was the type of learning style that best fit with the way I learn best. It puts the material in context with clinical cases. That being said, the first few weeks, Histology and Embryology are lecture. Anatomy is more self directed learning and you have labs with your PBL group where one student is designated the leader who guides the learning. I also, I found I really benefit from a smaller, tight knit student body in my undergraduate experience. So far I haven't been disappointed with that. Everyone, including myself, tries to help each other to learn. I don't sense the cut throat/gunner atmosphere that I sensed at other schools.

Locationwise, I wanted a place that wasn't as cold or snowy as where I was from. You may ask what about the Bradenton? Well, I don't do well with humidity. Whenever humidity starts to get bad, I start to melt.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Tons of thanks again to you and all the current students helping us here, for real thanks

So I would like to preface my response by saying that the following is my opinion and representative only of my experience at LECOM-SH. I hope some other current and past LECOM students are able to chime in as well.

For positives of LECOM, at Seton Hill at least, my class seems to be very supportive of one another. There doesn't seem to be an atmosphere of competitiveness or gunning. As mentioned above, I choose the Seton Hill campus for class size, learning style (PBL) and location. Across all campuses, I think it is hard to argue with the fact that tuition is not extreme. It is nice to know that when I graduate I wont have as large of a financial burden. I have not been disappointed with my education thus far. It is true that in the beginning you will get lectures in Histology, Embryology and OPP. However, Anatomy and PBL supplemental reading is a more on your own thing.

Negatives, some may find issue with the dress code and food/drink policy. Heowever, having experiencd it, I really don't find much issue in it. Another perceived negative, for PBL atleast, is that the courses that do not have lecture are a more on your own thing. So if you have trouble with structure and learning things outside of the classroom then you may have issue in this pathway. That being said, I feel that those applying to and get into medical school are a self-selected crowd. We are all smart and capable enough, it is just finding the discipline and drive to do it.

That being said, I'd like to discuss anatomy. I was fortunate enough to have gone to an undergraduate school where cadaver dissection was part of the curriculum. What I found in cadaver dissection lab was that the idea sounded amazing but in practice it was a train wreck. I would go into lab and spend so much time with the cadaver with eyes wide with terror and sweat pouring down my brow like it was monsoon season. The reason being was that I think my background was weak and so i would slowly cut scared that I would screw things up. Either way, it ended up all butchered. So it makes me wonder how much I actually got out of my cadaver experience.

With the way anatomy is structured here, I get more time to study anatomy on my own. I get more time to think about and appreciate the relationships of the anatomy, structures, functions, insertion, origins etc. Also, the relationship of the structures to each other, what is deep or superficial to a structure, or what is superior or inferior of another structure , and what is effected if a certain nerve is damaged. All this is tied into the OMM course, where we go over landmarks and review the anatomy to understand somatic dysfunctions better. With my understand and knowledge now, I think I would better appreciate and understand a cadaver lab.

Some of my classmates may disagree. Some may argue that they want to poke and prod to see how structures are located and related or at least have models. I think the bigger issue is finding what learning method works best for you. If you want to see stuff in 3D, I feel you can supplement by using applications and cadaver atlases. I heavily use Rohen's atlas and Essential anatomy app on the iPad. If you are able to correctly identify structures from a Rohen's image by looking at what is in the vicinity then you're golden.

Another way judge the effectiveness of the teaching style is to see how residency placements go. When it comes to general surgery and surgical specialties, we seem to place people every match. I think this would show that although the program lacks a cadaver lab, it is still good enough to get you where you want to be.

Now does that mean I don't want a cadaver lab? No, I mean who doesn't want a cadaver lab!?!? But do I feel like my anatomy education is lacking. Not at all, I think my anatomy education is going well so far; however that might change after this first major exam:D

I am curious to see what the students up at Erie have to say. I am unsure if they go through full dissections or if their cadavers are prosected. If the cadavers are prosected, then I would imagine it would be similar to looking at Rohen's image.

I apologize for the length of the response and any confusion.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for coming here to answer our questions. In your opinion, what do you think is the most convincing reason to choose LECOM (any campus)? What is the biggest negative for LECOM?

I read that the first few weeks all PBL students have lecture based courses which are the same as non-PBL students. I know PBL students don't do any cadaver dissections once the actual PBL coursework gets started. But during the first weeks of lectures, do you guys get to do dissections? Do you feel not having access to dissection on a regular basis can be potentially detrimental?

Sorry about so many questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about LECOM. Thanks!

P.S. no need to apologize, I think it is good that you gather as much information as possible and make an informed decision. I mean this decision is only going to effect the rest of your life, right? :laugh:

Also, again I want to say that my response is only representative of my experience thus far. Thus, it is only one data point. I hope others will step forward and give their input as well.

Cheers!

So I would like to preface my response by saying that the following is my opinion and representative only of my experience at LECOM-SH. I hope some other current and past LECOM students are able to chime in as well.

For positives of LECOM, at Seton Hill at least, my class seems to be very supportive of one another. There doesn't seem to be an atmosphere of competitiveness or gunning. As mentioned above, I choose the Seton Hill campus for class size, learning style (PBL) and location. Across all campuses, I think it is hard to argue with the fact that tuition is not extreme. It is nice to know that when I graduate I wont have as large of a financial burden. I have not been disappointed with my education thus far. It is true that in the beginning you will get lectures in Histology, Embryology and OPP. However, Anatomy and PBL supplemental reading is a more on your own thing.

Negatives, some may find issue with the dress code and food/drink policy. Heowever, having experiencd it, I really don't find much issue in it. Another perceived negative, for PBL atleast, is that the courses that do not have lecture are a more on your own thing. So if you have trouble with structure and learning things outside of the classroom then you may have issue in this pathway. That being said, I feel that those applying to and get into medical school are a self-selected crowd. We are all smart and capable enough, it is just finding the discipline and drive to do it.

That being said, I'd like to discuss anatomy. I was fortunate enough to have gone to an undergraduate school where cadaver dissection was part of the curriculum. What I found in cadaver dissection lab was that the idea sounded amazing but in practice it was a train wreck. I would go into lab and spend so much time with the cadaver with eyes wide with terror and sweat pouring down my brow like it was monsoon season. The reason being was that I think my background was weak and so i would slowly cut scared that I would screw things up. Either way, it ended up all butchered. So it makes me wonder how much I actually got out of my cadaver experience.

With the way anatomy is structured here, I get more time to study anatomy on my own. I get more time to think about and appreciate the relationships of the anatomy, structures, functions, insertion, origins etc. Also, the relationship of the structures to each other, what is deep or superficial to a structure, or what is superior or inferior of another structure , and what is effected if a certain nerve is damaged. All this is tied into the OMM course, where we go over landmarks and review the anatomy to understand somatic dysfunctions better. With my understand and knowledge now, I think I would better appreciate and understand a cadaver lab.

Some of my classmates may disagree. Some may argue that they want to poke and prod to see how structures are located and related or at least have models. I think the bigger issue is finding what learning method works best for you. If you want to see stuff in 3D, I feel you can supplement by using applications and cadaver atlases. I heavily use Rohen's atlas and Essential anatomy app on the iPad. If you are able to correctly identify structures from a Rohen's image by looking at what is in the vicinity then you're golden.

Another way judge the effectiveness of the teaching style is to see how residency placements go. When it comes to general surgery and surgical specialties, we seem to place people every match. I think this would show that although the program lacks a cadaver lab, it is still good enough to get you where you want to be.

Now does that mean I don't want a cadaver lab? No, I mean who doesn't want a cadaver lab!?!? But do I feel like my anatomy education is lacking. Not at all, I think my anatomy education is going well so far; however that might change after this first major exam:D

I am curious to see what the students up at Erie have to say. I am unsure if they go through full dissections or if their cadavers are prosected. If the cadavers are prosected, then I would imagine it would be similar to looking at Rohen's image.

I apologize for the length of the response and any confusion.

P.S. no need to apologize, I think it is good that you gather as much information as possible and make an informed decision. I mean this decision is only going to effect the rest of your life, right? :laugh:

Also, again I want to say that my response is only representative of my experience thus far. Thus, it is only one data point. I hope others will step forward and give their input as well.

Cheers!

Wow, I really appreciate such a detailed response. From everything I have come across so far about PBL, it sounds interesting but I know my personal style of education requires structure which is what makes me wary of PBL. I believe the mandatory attendance can actually help me retain that structure so I don't really consider it a negative. Thanks again for your help!

Hey guys. I was complete 8/12 and today they told me they just sent my file to the admissions committee yesterday. When do you think I can expect a response?

I interviewed yesterday at Seton Hill, anyone know about the Early Decision Agreement, and if we actually get a response in 30 days? PBL seems to be awesome for my study habits, and the way I learn so I'm really excited! If anyone has any questions feel free to let me know!!

P.S

couple of the questions they asked were: why medicine?, what about Medicine inspires you?, where do you see yourself in the future?, how do work in groups?, have you ever had any problems with someone in a group?

These were the core questions and a lot of discussions branched off of these between our group. We had 6 people in our group and it was so relaxing. I felt like I was talking to my buddies about medicine and why I want to be a doctor. It was super laid back and the faculty is amazing and nice! I really hope I get in here, its really one of my top choices for schools!

Reactions: 4 users
So, I got an email saying that they received my application on July 24, but I haven't even received a secondary yet. Do they send that to you or are you supposed to automatically fill that out somewhere? I'm pretty nervous that I haven't heard anything from them since then.

I interviewed yesterday at Seton Hill, anyone know about the Early Decision Agreement, and if we actually get a response in 30 days? PBL seems to be awesome for my study habits, and the way I learn so I'm really excited! If anyone has any questions feel free to let me know!!

P.S

couple of the questions they asked were: why medicine?, what about Medicine inspires you?, where do you see yourself in the future?, how do work in groups?, have you ever had any problems with someone in a group?

These were the core questions and a lot of discussions branched off of these between our group. We had 6 people in our group and it was so relaxing. I felt like I was talking to my buddies about medicine and why I want to be a doctor. It was super laid back and the faculty is amazing and nice! I really hope I get in here, its really one of my top choices for schools!
Thank you for the questions, you are awesome! I have interview there coming up! Good luck!

So, I got an email saying that they received my application on July 24, but I haven't even received a secondary yet. Do they send that to you or are you supposed to automatically fill that out somewhere? I'm pretty nervous that I haven't heard anything from them since then.
Go check on the portal, admissions tab, admissions status, may II awaits there

P.S

Man I hope so....It's killing me.

Hey guys. I was complete 8/12 and today they told me they just sent my file to the admissions committee yesterday. When do you think I can expect a response?
Prior to this, did your status say "under review" or no?

Been under review at Erie and at Bradenton for close to a month I think, not sure what's up with that.

Also, to those who ranked Seton Hill above Erie on the secondary, is there anywhere on the application portal that lists Seton Hill? I can only view my admissions status for Erie and Bradenton, there is no Seton Hill choice, is that normal?

Been under review at Erie and at Bradenton for close to a month I think, not sure what's up with that.

Also, to those who ranked Seton Hill above Erie on the secondary, is there anywhere on the application portal that lists Seton Hill? I can only view my admissions status for Erie and Bradenton, there is no Seton Hill choice, is that normal?

Erie and Seton Hill are bundled together for admissions, so you wont see Seton Hill.

I got confused, you don't get an access to their(lecom) portal until you receive the secondary, why don't you call them?

I was confused about the same thing. Erie and seton hill are together so as long as you indicated on your secondary you prefer seton hill you'll be fine

On the same boat as well..... Secondary processed on 7/27 but still no love from Lecom :(

Reactions: 3 users
Hello All,

Cheers

There is so much banter about the dress code but I have yet to see anyone explain what it actually is. Do you mind elaborating on what you are required to wear?