Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also I could be wrong but I believe the November decision is for people who are differing whereas the rest of us will receive our response within 30 days of the interview. Could be wrong so if any med students know the exact dates?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I could be wrong but I believe the November decision is for people who are differing whereas the rest of us will receive our response within 30 days of the interview. Could be wrong so if any med students know the exact dates?!?!

Hey! When I interviewed there, we were allowed to chose October 1st or November 15th. These are the first two dates. Everyone who is interviewing in the future will probably receive notice within the 30 days, but if you're interviewing before October I'd guess you won't know until November 15.

Yeah I called the Marriot Residence Inn and told them I was interviewing at LECOM. If you do that the room goes from $110 down to $89 just make sure you call and book it. Their are much cheaper motels and hotels but I would not insist going cheap on a room the night before your med school interview, would hate to have bed bugs crawling all over you the next day lol.

Bedbugs don't care what you paid for the room. Much nicer hotels than any you will find in Erie get them just the same as cheap places do. And when they are present, one room could have them while the others on that floor are fine. All that matters is if the people who stayed there before you brought them along in their luggage.

I haven't heard of any major issues in Erie with them, but they are a risk anytime you travel. (Erie doesn't seem to have as many bugs as many places I've visited. One of the things I love about it.)

You should always inspect your hotel room before you start unpacking your luggage. Ask Google for details of what to be on the lookout for. Check carefully and if you find any hint of them, ask for a different room... and inspect that one, as well.

In any case, they wouldn't be "crawling on you the next day." They are a nuisance that you could take home with you, but they don't hitch rides on their hosts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Quick question - if you are rejected pre-interview, is it updated on your applicant portal? I received an odd email stating that I had not been chosen for the Post-Bacc program, but I haven't applied to that :/ So I'm wondering if they mixed up their rejections? On my portal, it still states that my application is under review?

Yeah I called the Marriot Residence Inn and told them I was interviewing at LECOM. If you do that the room goes from $110 down to $89 just make sure you call and book it. Their are much cheaper motels and hotels but I would not insist going cheap on a room the night before your med school interview, would hate to have bed bugs crawling all over you the next day lol.

Nice, is that the one with the shuttle or are you renting a car?

Hey! When I interviewed there, we were allowed to chose October 1st or November 15th. These are the first two dates. Everyone who is interviewing in the future will probably receive notice within the 30 days, but if you're interviewing before October I'd guess you won't know until November 15.
O okay I see, Im interviewing next Friday im hoping to be able to find out before November but I suppose worst things could happen.

Nice, is that the one with the shuttle or are you renting a car?
Im actually driving up from Cleveland so Ill have my car. I cant exactly remember where but I found a list of hotels recommended by LECOM and I think it mentioned which ones had shuttles and the rates you could get. It might be somewhere in the application portal or it was in the email they send with your interview invite.

Anyone interviewing tomorrow morning?

I recieved an interview at Seton Hall for October 6, but Erie and Brandenton campus seem to be stuck on the application in review. Its frustrating because I want to live in Florida lol!!

Got an II in Erie on 8/26, scheduled earliest possible on 10/16. However, ALL my folder items for LECOM-Erie have a big red X, but Bradenton has them all with a green check mark but no II (yet). Emailed Admissions a while ago and never got a reply. Ain't that weird or what? Should I call them about it before my interview day?

I went Sept. 14. What about you?

I was too busy at work that day so didn't get to schedule until right before bedtime, by then the earliest available date was 10/16 so I picked that one, haha.

Good luck on 9/14 man!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was too busy at work that day so didn't get to schedule until right before bedtime, by then the earliest available date was 10/16 so I picked that one, haha.

Good luck on 9/14 man!

Thanks, you too! Kill it.

I saw some wonderful bright faces today interviewing at Seton Hill. I hope y'all had/have a good time, and now that you're done can breath a sigh of relief.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at LECOM Erie today. It was an awesome experience. The staff and faculty were helpful, polite, and super professional. They really put out an effort to make us interviewees comfortable. After seeing the campus and talking with faculty, I really question some of what's been said on this site.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
hey was your interview a group interview and were there any mmi?

Can Anyone else get aloud of admissions? I try all the time and it always goes through to voicemail.

Had my interview today and absolutely loved it! The staff was great and I had a great group to interview with!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, guys! I received an interview earlier this week! Is anyone else scheduled for October 23rd?

Had my interview today and absolutely loved it! The staff was great and I had a great group to interview with!
how was it? Was it intimidating, or more of standardized questions? How many questions were you asked?
I have my interview very soon, and getting more and more nervous :nailbiting: the group interview still scares me.

Only had like 6-7 questions over 1hr 10 min. Very relaxed and not intimidating. Had one interviewer who was argumentative just for arguments sake, but was very nice. Don't stress it!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, I had a quick question. My application is under review with Erie. Does anyone know how long it took to receive a II from this status? Also, how were you contacted for the interview? I'm pretty nervous and would appreciate the help!

It took me about 12 days. I was contacted through email and text.

10 days and a phone call. For Bradenton I've been complete for about a month and a half without a peep though.

I think there must be something they don't like about me. I have been complete since mid-july and am still "under review". I do have an II from a different school though so there can't be anything too lethal in my app (I hope).

Oh well, it's a fun process, huh?

So far no II's but it only takes one to change that! God, I hope this changes soon. Where did you hear back from?

So far no II's but it only takes one to change that! God, I hope this changes soon. Where did you hear back from?

NYCOM (or NYIT-COM... not totally sure which is the correct form lol)

Where else have you applied?

NYCOM (or NYIT-COM... not totally sure which is the correct form lol)

Where else have you applied?

I applied to about 9 schools so far, and some MD just for giggles. Have not heard anything yet.
I recently applied to NYIT-COM. How long did it take for the II to come?

I applied to about 9 schools so far, and some MD just for giggles. Have not heard anything yet.

It was a little over a month, but I was complete pretty early, so my guess is their pile of apps to go through is a lot bigger now. In other words don't give up if you don't hear from them in a month. BTW I'm IS for NYCOM, are you a NYS resident?

Dang. I wasn't verified till later, and No I'm a Californian

Have you contacted them? I was under review for a month and my stats are pretty competitive. I finally called the other day just before they closed, and got the text and email II at Erie the next morning. I also called Bradenton because they hadn't even processed my secondary and went to "under review" the next day. The people I spoke to in admissions said that although they intend to go through apps in order, there were some from July still in a pile to be reviewed. So I wouldn't worry, and a phone call couldn't hurt as long as you're polite and just curious about where you stand.

sorry if this question has been answered but are interviews at LECOM Erie group or individual. I interviewwe
Group. No MMI.

im assuming it was something like PBL where they throw a scanerio and you discuss with the group?

sorry if this question has been answered but are interviews at LECOM Erie group or individual. I interviewwe

im assuming it was something like PBL where they throw a scanerio and you discuss with the group?
Sort of. First the interviewers direct questions to people in the group individually. Next they'll ask questions or consider topics for the group to discuss. My group talked about some contemporary issues in medicine, so be prepared and ready to listen. My advice: don't be the guy/gal that won't let anyone else get a word in, but also make sure not to be too quiet. I had both those types in my group unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sort of. First the interviewers direct questions to people in the group individually. Next they'll ask questions or consider topics for the group to discuss. My group talked about some contemporary issues in medicine, so be prepared and ready to listen. My advice: don't be the guy/gal that won't let anyone else get a word in, but also make sure not to be too quite. I had both those types in my group unfortunately.

thank you for your response. I interviewed at B last week and we had a group interview but none of the questions were directed towards an individual they aslo threw in a one on one session.

Have you contacted them? I was under review for a month and my stats are pretty competitive. I finally called the other day just before they closed, and got the text and email II at Erie the next morning. I also called Bradenton because they hadn't even processed my secondary and went to "under review" the next day. The people I spoke to in admissions said that although they intend to go through apps in order, there were some from July still in a pile to be reviewed. So I wouldn't worry, and a phone call couldn't hurt as long as you're polite and just curious about where you stand.

What exactly did you ask them at Erie? I've been under review since mid July, and when I called a few weeks ago they didn't tell me anything... I'd love to have some sort of answer from them haha

What exactly did you ask them at Erie? I've been under review since mid July, and when I called a few weeks ago they didn't tell me anything... I'd love to have some sort of answer from them haha
I just asked where I stood. They said it can take months to get through all the applications, and I responded by saying that based on what I have been seeing, it seems like most people have been receiving IIs within a week or two, and that several people with stats equivalent to mine got them within hours or days of submitting their secondaries. In both conversations (Erie and Bradenton) they took my name and said they'd look into it.

I just asked where I stood. They said it can take months to get through all the applications, and I responded by saying that based on what I have been seeing, it seems like most people have been receiving IIs within a week or two, and that several people with stats equivalent to mine got them within hours or days of submitting their secondaries. In both conversations (Erie and Bradenton) they took my name and said they'd look into it.

Huh, maybe I'll try that after Labor Day

Finished interviewing here. I enjoyed the group format here and I thought the interview was low stress. For future interviewees just be yourself and have fun. This school just wants to get to know you.

Saw lots of excited people yesterday interviewing! Good luck to you all.

If anyone else interviewing 9/11 wants to meet up PM me!

I think there must be something they don't like about me. I have been complete since mid-july and am still "under review". I do have an II from a different school though so there can't be anything too lethal in my app (I hope).

Oh well, it's a fun process, huh?

@bshap000 I'm in the same boat as you! I submitted my LECOM secondary 7/29 and still am being "processed," but received an II from NYITCOM already :confused: (I'm also IS for NY!!)
Are you thinking about writing a letter of interest for LECOM or not yet?

@bikewolf2 My II came 10 days after I submitted my secondary!

Dear everyone on SDN,

Chill out. It's September. Don't write letters of interest, don't get freaked out that 10 days after you submitted your secondary you haven't heard back. That means nothing! This process is super long (I submitted my primaries the first day possible, got an II in January from a school and then I waited 4 months post-interview for thay decision, that came June 1) so do yourselves a favor and relax.

Do what you can to make schools understand you're still interested (I would say November/early December is acceptable for a significant update letter). Letters of interest? Don't you think they know you're interested if you applied there? Instead, why not check in with the school and use MCAT score releases or new letters of recommendation as a way to follow up and say "Hey I am very excited to be applying to your school. I just wanted to let you know that I have a new LOR that got uploaded to my Interfolio account" or "I had a quick question about this class requirement...". Go to events and open-houses put on by that school- those are great ways to continue to show your interest.

LECOM itself got 7800+ applications last year, and again it's expected to increase- so don't be that pre-med who freaks out and bugs the admissions staff because they have a huge applicant pool of people who aren't annoying to choose from.
-stickshifthonda

Reactions: 5 users
They don't particularly like when you say "people with my stats are getting interviews" because that implies you believe you should receive one. Bad move.

Also let's remember admissions is a holistic review. Grades and MCATs are a piece of the picture. Back to studying.

EDIT: looks like you got an II so congrats. I'm interested to hear your feedback about interview day!

@bshap000 I'm in the same boat as you! I submitted my LECOM secondary 7/29 and still am being "processed," but received an II from NYITCOM already :confused: (I'm also IS for NY!!)
Are you thinking about writing a letter of interest for LECOM or not yet?

My II is from NYCOM also! (I'm IS for NY too)

I'm definitely not writing an LOI at this point, I was under the impression that they really are only appropriate after being interviewed. Pre-interview they don't come off well, or at best are ignored.