Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys just wanted to see if I could give you some perspective and boost your spirits some:

I just got accepted!! I interviewed on literally the last day. Hadn't sent in my secondary until April after some mix-ups.

Sgpa: 3.7, cgpa: 3.9, 25mcat

I obviously don't know how many spots there are etc, but if I can get in so late in the game then I feel there's hope for everyone still!

Wow that's great! Congrats

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just wanted to see if I could give you some perspective and boost your spirits some:

I just got accepted!! I interviewed on literally the last day. Hadn't sent in my secondary until April after some mix-ups.

I obviously don't know how many spots there are etc, but if I can get in so late in the game then I feel there's hope for everyone still!

Awesome, congratulations!!! Looks like the wait-list movement has begun, we just finished the last of our exams so the administration can now focus on the incoming class, making sure spots are filled, financial aid is taken care of, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, congratulations!!! Looks like the wait-list movement has begun, we just finished the last of our exams so the administration can now focus on the incoming class, making sure spots are filled, financial aid is taken care of, etc.

From one Rick to another... Thanks for the insider updates, really puts the mind at ease having an idea of what is going on over there!

And way to go Ninelron!

Reactions: 1 users

Hey, congrats!! Just wondering, were you accepted off the wait list or just accepted outright? Thanks.

Hey, congrats!! Just wondering, were you accepted off the wait list or just accepted outright? Thanks.

Thank you everyone! I was accepted outright without being on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 user
In the previous threads, I noticed that most people who were accepted off of the wait list were first sent an email stating that they are likely to get accepted and detailing the steps they need to take. Did anyone receive an email like this yet?

Accepted to Seton Hill! Really excited, interviewed in Erie and put SH as my top choice because I heard good reviews from other students! Excited and happy to be attending!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted to Seton Hill! Really excited, interviewed in Erie and put SH as my top choice because I heard good reviews from other students! Excited and happy to be attending!
Congrats! Were you accepted off of the wait list or straight away?

In the previous threads, I noticed that most people who were accepted off of the wait list were first sent an email stating that they are likely to get accepted and detailing the steps they need to take. Did anyone receive an email like this yet?
I noticed the same thing but have not received an email like this or know if waitlist movement has begun yet.

Some Information on Books for Those Coming to LECOM-SH

TL;DR version: don't buy them all until you get your loan check!

Longer version:
--Caveat: this applies to LECOM-SH. I think there's some sort of ebook system at Erie, so I can't help you there.
--You eventually need everything, but you only reaaaally need anatomy when school is first starting.
--You could make an argument that you also need embryology, histology and OPP, but those aren't totally necessary, at least not right away. I think they're probably helpful to have, but not immediately essential. The rest of the PBL books can definitely wait until you get your loan money or even later.
--While you probably need all the books on the list eventually, you don't need to rush to buy them all right away. You won't use H&P until October, pharmacology until November, or immuno/neuro/micro until second semester.
--I recommend hard copies of the PBL books, personally-- it helps with eye strain and I'm old school and like highlighting.
--A lot of books can be "found" online... so if ebooks are your style, don't spend money on them.
--If you're okay with used books, check the class Facebook page. Many of my classmates are selling their old books for pretty cheap.
--You don't need the medical dictionary.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some Information on Books for Those Coming to LECOM-SH

TL;DR version: don't buy them all until you get your loan check!

Longer version:
--Caveat: this applies to LECOM-SH. I think there's some sort of ebook system at Erie, so I can't help you there.
--You eventually need everything, but you only reaaaally need anatomy when school is first starting.
--You could make an argument that you also need embryology, histology and OPP, but those aren't totally necessary, at least not right away. I think they're probably helpful to have, but not immediately essential. The rest of the PBL books can definitely wait until you get your loan money or even later.
--While you probably need all the books on the list eventually, you don't need to rush to buy them all right away. You won't use H&P until October, pharmacology until November, or immuno/neuro/micro until second semester.
--I recommend hard copies of the PBL books, personally-- it helps with eye strain and I'm old school and like highlighting.
--A lot of books can be "found" online... so if ebooks are your style, don't spend money on them.
--If you're okay with used books, check the class Facebook page. Many of my classmates are selling their old books for pretty cheap.
--You don't need the medical dictionary.

Seconding all of this, don't waste money on the dictionary and I'd really hop on one of the cheap sets that your classmates are selling. It'll save you hundreds of dollars in the long run. You absolutely need the anatomy book/revealed and most of the other books you can wait until later when the loan check comes in. At orientation you will get a super useful HY clinical supplement for anatomy, there is also some homework there before the course begins - Do not just ignore that homework assignment, it is super useful and important for your foundations, if you fall behind in Anatomy you'll be in trouble because it's such a large volume of material. Even if initially there isn't too much pressure on you, the semester picks up speed very fast, do not fall behind on your studies or it'll bite you in the ass.

Oh, and there will be a meeting with some second years (there was one last year) which will have a powerpoint on what material is best for each course and what the people that did well in those courses used. I'd recommend paying close attention to their suggestions rather than just buying every book on subject X and being overloaded with material.

Reactions: 2 users
I called Seton Hill and the Seton Hill wait list movement hasn't begun yet. Perhaps the Erie campus has started accepting people off of the wait list?

I'm trying to decide where to apply next year, so can some of you guys that were accepted share your stats so I can see where I stand or if I should apply here? :)

I have a 3.7 GPA and I've taken the MCAT 3x, with highest and most recent score being 501. I'm also OOS, so not sure how much this matters here!

I'm trying to decide where to apply next year, so can some of you guys that were accepted share your stats so I can see where I stand or if I should apply here? :)

I have a 3.7 GPA and I've taken the MCAT 3x, with highest and most recent score being 501. I'm also OOS, so not sure how much this matters here!

My 2 cents: Apply now...I think aacomas is available. Get your transcripts and everything in asap so you're verified quickly. Those stats have def been accepted; of course the rest of your background/app plays a role as well.

OOS doesn't matter, GPA is fine for the school, MCAT 3x might raise some eyebrows/come up on interviews but I think you have a solid shot if you apply early - interviews are on a first come first serve basis. Make sure your EC's are good and that you absolutely get a DO letter of rec or your application will be put on hold.

Has anyone here been accepted with the academic index score because they did not have an MCAT score or it was too low? Or know of anyone that this happened to?

Congrats! Were you accepted off of the wait list or straight away?
Sorry for the late response, but I was accepted straight from interview in late April! I am unsure of any current waitlist movement, but good luck to those on it!

Withdrawing my spot on the wait list. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Is that when wait-list acceptances started last year? Class of 2020's first day is in about 2 months, pretty sure everything's moving now.

Im looking at the 2013-2014 threads, and it seems like people started getting pulled sometime early June

Edit: Strike that, first one looks like May 28th

Thanks for the info. Can you tell if those people accepted off the waitlist were notified other than regular mail?

Like squishy said, waitlist started moving. The admissions office sends you an email to confirm if you are still interested.

Eh, I don't think it has, not yet anyhow. He could be referring to LECOM Florida.

Very soon however. My life feels like a roller coaster right now. Going up up up up up up, and then this weekend feel like the peak. I can see far above the horizon, however my gut is turning into mush. Our lives are literally being shaped within the next 2 months.

As we are now just a few days away from June, I thought I would post a quote by a SDN'er that helped me tremendously when I myself was in the waiting game during the last application cycle. Good luck to you all.

Here's the quote, OP = @Sanger Sequence
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...t-support-group.1120676/page-24#post-16571261

"To all anxious waitlist students, those with numb fingers due to email refreshing, those who fight the urge to call the admissions office knowing exactly the answer you will receive, those who can't focus in research or clinic, those whose hands sweat at every unknown call during business hours, those trying to figure out how to pay for another round of secondaries, those who get approached by parents/professionals/friends/colleagues with the same question, only to reply with "still nothing yet...", I hope you realize there are many of us. Most suffer in silence, with the impression that no one understands the stress, each day building upon the previous. But through all the wait we can find solace.

I wanted to utlimately say, do not let this capricious process turn you into a pessimistic, jaded cynic. Learn from it. GROW from it. If it ends up working out, great! We will be right here waiting to celebrate with you. But if it doesn't, then take a look back and realize all the hard work shouldn't stop here. You did this for a reason. There are people you may need to validate with your goals, but none more important than yourself."

Reactions: 3 users
Eh, I don't think it has, not yet anyhow. He could be referring to LECOM Florida.

Very soon however. My life feels like a roller coaster right now. Going up up up up up up, and then this weekend feel like the peak. I can see far above the horizon, however my gut is turning into mush. Our lives are literally being shaped within the next 2 months.

I said they send you an email because I received the email recently.

That is interesting they decided to send acceptance e-mails, in the update e-mail (where they asked you to reply if you DID NOT want to stay on the waitlist) they said they were going to send letters by mail regarding their decision.

The email comes from admissions in Erie. My acceptance was for sh though.
Nice, congrats!
Did you receive an acceptance off of the wait list by email or by snail mail? And also, did you interview at Erie or SH? I interviewed at SH and didn't receive an email, so I'm wondering if other SH interviewees received one.

I take it you accepted without a second thought?

I liked LECOM better than the other schools I saw. I was happy to accept their invitation for sure!

Nice, congrats!
Did you receive an acceptance off of the wait list by email or by snail mail? And also, did you interview at Erie or SH? I interviewed at SH and didn't receive an email, so I'm wondering if other SH interviewees received one.

Both actually. They just emailed me to confirm my interests still then followed up with a letter. I never received an email asking if I wanted to stay on the list. I interviewed at Erie.

That is interesting they decided to send acceptance e-mails, in the update e-mail (where they asked you to reply if you DID NOT want to stay on the waitlist) they said they were going to send letters by mail regarding their decision.

Same, I got the update email.

Hey everyone! Congrats on those that have been recently accepted! I'm trying to find a roommate or two for the upcoming year and am wondering what is the best way to do so as I've had no luck so far. Do you use Craigslist? Is there a specific LECOM-E roommate search that I'm not aware of? Do most student look for housing closer towards the start date? My lease is starting soon and I'm getting a little nervous. Any suggestions would be helpful :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Congrats on those that have been recently accepted! I'm trying to find a roommate or two for the upcoming year and am wondering what is the best way to do so as I've had no luck so far. Do you use Craigslist? Is there a specific LECOM-E roommate search that I'm not aware of? Do most student look for housing closer towards the start date? My lease is starting soon and I'm getting a little nervous. Any suggestions would be helpful :)

Theres a roommate search forum on the LECOM portal under the admissions tab. People also post on the class of 2020 Facebook page asking about roommates. I only know this cause I've been checking both regularly as a proxy for whether waitlist movement has started.

Theres a roommate search forum on the LECOM portal under the admissions tab. People also post on the class of 2020 Facebook page asking about roommates. I only know this cause I've been checking both regularly as a proxy for whether waitlist movement has started.
Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Attn Seton Hill 2020ers:

There's a new course director for anatomy and the book for the course is likely changing to Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Previous years used Gray's. The source on this intel is solid, but maybe wait until you get your official book list before you go on a crazy shopping spree!

I do doubt the PBL books will change, at least not dramatically (there might be a new edition of something, but if you buy an old version from one of my classmates for cheap, it'll be close enough). There's no need to rush out and buy everything for PBL until after your loan money comes in anyway though.

Reactions: 1 users