Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really the only real differences between Erie PBL and Seton Hill PBL is that in Erie you are close to the Erie administration and you supposedly have the option to view the LDP cadavers when they're not in use (not sure how many people actually take advantage of that - and honestly I'm not even sure if that is still the case). Greensburg (Seton Hill) is definitely more moderate in terms of weather. They still get snow, but the Erie lake effect snow is crazy. You also get cut a little slack at Seton Hill, because the LECOM rules (dress code, no eating, etc) don't apply to the Seton Hill undergrad campus.

Ultimately its really up to you. I don't think the quality of your education will be any different at either school, but it is still early, and there will likely be Erie PBL movement. That said, its still not a guarantee to go PBL at Erie, whereas Seton Hill PBL right now is.

Do you have any input on clinical opportunities for SH compared to Erie?

Members don't see this ad.

Really the only real differences between Erie PBL and Seton Hill PBL is that in Erie you are close to the Erie administration and you supposedly have the option to view the LDP cadavers when they're not in use (not sure how many people actually take advantage of that - and honestly I'm not even sure if that is still the case). Greensburg (Seton Hill) is definitely more moderate in terms of weather. They still get snow, but the Erie lake effect snow is crazy. You also get cut a little slack at Seton Hill, because the LECOM rules (dress code, no eating, etc) don't apply to the Seton Hill undergrad campus.

Ultimately its really up to you. I don't think the quality of your education will be any different at either school, but it is still early, and there will likely be Erie PBL movement. That said, its still not a guarantee to go PBL at Erie, whereas Seton Hill PBL right now is.

wait...so there's no dress code and you can eat during lectures?? just clearing things up

How much of the seton hill campus is used and occupied by LECOM students? Tbh what really attracts me about Seton Hill is it's gorgeous campus compared to Erie. The Erie building gave me a very cold and sterile like vibe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have withdrawn my acceptance from the Seton Hill campus this morning. I really hope one of you guys eagerly waiting on the waitlist get my spot soon! Good luck :]

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have withdrawn my acceptance from the Seton Hill campus this morning. I really hope one of you guys eagerly waiting on the waitlist get my spot soon! Good luck :]

There's a waitlist already?

There's a waitlist already?

If there are interviews there will be a waitlist. Most schools don't reject many of their early interviews, they put people on the waitlist because they don't know what the future interviewees will be like. So yes, there is a waitlist, but I wouldn't worry about waitlist stuff until the spring.

Withdrew my application today. Hopefully that means a potential interview for others.

What will be our grading system? I know they talked about it a little at the interview day but I sat there thinking about the interview lol. Will be it pass/fail?

What will be our grading system? I know they talked about it a little at the interview day but I sat there thinking about the interview lol. Will be it pass/fail?
strong username :)

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on Oct. 4. I thought I totally bombed the interview. It was my first med school interview, and I was super nervous. But I got accepted! I think it's because I demonstrated an interest in PBL and evidence that I can handle PBL. However, I've withdrawn my application because I've been accepted elsewhere. I just didn't feel the love for the campus / surrounding atmosphere.

Do you have any input on clinical opportunities for SH compared to Erie?

As far as I know with regards to rotations they are the same (according to upperclassmen). SH and Erie get put in the same pool, and the SGAs of both campuses use some sort of algorithm based on our ranking of the regions/schedules.

If you are talking about something else, like say volunteering, I can't imagine you'd have a ton of time for that, but Pittsburgh is about 45 min from Greensburg, and there are lots of opportunities there. There are also free clinics and other things in Greensburg, so there are opportunities. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for.

wait...so there's no dress code and you can eat during lectures?? just clearing things up

No, those rules still apply at LECOM-SH, but they are only enforced in "LECOM property", meaning only literally inside the one lecture hall (not the whole building - so you can eat something in between lectures as long as you step out of the lecture hall), the OMM lab (obviously dress code doesn't apply there), the LECOM portion of the library (not the entire library), and the LECOM suite (where admin offices are and PBL is held). So say you are coming on campus to practice OMM or study in the Seton Hill portion of the library, as long as you don't go in those other places, you can come in dressed in a t-shirt and shorts.

You can also eat anywhere on Seton Hill's campus, as long as you aren't on LECOM property, like in the lecture hall, OMM lab, LECOM suite, etc. Also to clarify, the dress code applies from 8:00AM to 5:30PM, M-F (excluding the dress code on OPP day), so obviously any time outside of those hours, you don't have to be in dress code.

Also, with regards to eating in lecture, if you go to Seton Hill (or do PBL at Erie), the most you're in lecture for is 2-3 hrs straight, and those are long days, and they give you 10 min breaks every hour.

How much of the seton hill campus is used and occupied by LECOM students? Tbh what really attracts me about Seton Hill is it's gorgeous campus compared to Erie. The Erie building gave me a very cold and sterile like vibe.

Erie is nicer than it seems, especially the Wellness Center. As far as the vibe, its probably more laid back in Seton Hill. LECOM students have access to all parts of the Seton Hill campus, and because there is no LECOM cafeteria, and the LRC (LECOM's library) is relatively small, I've heard that pretty much everyone regularly uses the Seton Hill library, eating areas, and gym.

This is true at both Erie and Seton Hill: A, B, C, F, LF (low fail). All based on percentages (A = 90%, B = 80%, C = 70%, F = 65%-69%, LF = <65%). You get 2 sets of grades, one is a GPA (4 point-scale) which could determine things like whether you're required to do an exam review course before taking the Level I and restricting you to certain clinical sites if you have <2.5, and another percentage score (100 pt scale), which determines your class rank.

Last edited:
As far as I know with regards to rotations they are the same (according to upperclassmen). SH and Erie get put in the same pool, and the SGAs of both campuses use some sort of algorithm based on our ranking of the regions/schedules.

If you are talking about something else, like say volunteering, I can't imagine you'd have a ton of time for that, but Pittsburgh is about 45 min from Greensburg, and there are lots of opportunities there. There are also free clinics and other things in Greensburg, so there are opportunities. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for.

No, those rules still apply at LECOM-SH, but they are only enforced in "LECOM property", meaning only literally inside the one lecture hall (not the whole building - so you can eat something in between lectures as long as you step out of the lecture hall), the OMM lab (obviously dress code doesn't apply there), the LECOM portion of the library (not the entire library), and the LECOM suite (where admin offices are and PBL is held). So say you are coming on campus to practice OMM or study in the Seton Hill portion of the library, as long as you don't go in those other places, you can come in dressed in a t-shirt and shorts.

You can also eat anywhere on Seton Hill's campus, as long as you aren't on LECOM property, like in the lecture hall, OMM lab, LECOM suite, etc. Also to clarify, the dress code applies from 8:00AM to 5:30PM, M-F (excluding the dress code on OPP day), so obviously any time outside of those hours, you don't have to be in dress code.

Also, with regards to eating in lecture, if you go to Seton Hill (or do PBL at Erie), the most you're in lecture for is 2-3 hrs straight, and those are long days, and they give you 10 min breaks every hour.

Erie is nicer than it seems, especially the Wellness Center. As far as the vibe, its probably more laid back in Seton Hill. LECOM students have access to all parts of the Seton Hill campus, and because there is no LECOM cafeteria, and the LRC (LECOM's library) is relatively small, I've heard that pretty much everyone regularly uses the Seton Hill library, eating areas, and gym.

This is true at both Erie and Seton Hill: A, B, C, F, LF (low fail). All based on percentages (A = 90%, B = 80%, C = 70%, F = 65%-69%, LF = <65%). You get 2 sets of grades, one is a GPA (4 point-scale) which could determine things like whether you're required to do an exam review course before taking the Level I and restricting you to certain clinical sites if you have <2.5, and another percentage score (100 pt scale), which determines your class rank.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an ii here. Very excited, but it isn't until late February. Think Ill be able to get that bumped up a little?

EDIT: Feeling better about my date after reading some of the previous posts on this thread. Looks like everyone is late. Confirmed my date, however by late February I'm hoping to already be accepted and have a deposit down at at least one school.

Last edited:
Just cancelled my interview with this school. I hope it opens up a spot for one of you peeps. Best of luck with your cycle!

My applicant portal says interview invite I wonder how late mine will be. I have an ii at wv next week.

A significant amount, for most LECOM-SH students. We use Seton Hill's cafeteria, gym, and library (although, as you no doubt know already, we have our own library hidden underneath theirs). We sit at the picnic benches and swings and study during nice weather. The Seton Hill administration has been nothing but warm-- threw a small "welcome" party for the OMS-1's at the beginning of the year. The only real stipulation anyone has is in regards to parking-- because Seton Hill has limited parking even for their own students, they ask that we stay in the LECOM parking lot. Which is fine, because it's just a short walk.

All-in-all, I wouldn't base your choice of medical school entirely on aesthetics, but it's quite nice to drive up to Hogwarts every day.

(Edit: saw Hallowmann gave you heads-up on most of this, but it's just my additional two-cents.)

Last edited:
A significant amount, for most LECOM-SH students. We use Seton Hill's cafeteria, gym, and library (although, as you no doubt know already, we have our own library hidden underneath theirs). We sit at the picnic benches and swings and study during nice weather. The Seton Hill administration has been nothing but warm-- threw a small "welcome" party for the OMS-1's at the beginning of the year. The only real stipulation anyone has is in regards to parking-- because Seton Hill has limited parking even for their own students, they ask that we stay in the LECOM parking lot. Which is fine, because it's just a short walk.

All-in-all, I wouldn't base your choice of medical school entirely on aesthetics, but it's quite nice to drive up to Hogwarts every day.

(Edit: saw Hallowmann gave you heads-up on most of this, but it's just my additional two-cents.)

When I interviewed at lecoms-sh I loved it. It's just worrisome to see the sdn lecom hate which is the only thing that is making me hesitate to completely commit to it.

This seems consistent.

As far as parking at Seton Hill goes, while the walk means having to be there 5-6 min earlier, there actually are parking spots for everyone (something that is a problem at Erie from time to time).

Last edited:
Getting ready for my interview on Tuesday. What did they ask about in the interview? Any unique questions I should prepare for?

What airport do people generally fly into? I'm coming from CA btw, it looks like there's a few regional airports nearby.

Just submitted my secondary lol, hoping for some love
3.5/3.4 31 MCAT

I know the major difference between the Erie and Seaton Hill campuses is the curriculum — which campus enrolls more students? Also are the stats about the same for both campuses?

I know the major difference between the Erie and Seaton Hill campuses is the curriculum — which campus enrolls more students? Also are the stats about the same for both campuses?
erie is the main campus so they def have more students. not sure about the stats. they should be about the same, maybe slightly lower for seton hill but im just guessing

When I interviewed at lecoms-sh I loved it. It's just worrisome to see the sdn lecom hate which is the only thing that is making me hesitate to completely commit to it.

Don't listen to sdn and stay away from Erie campus it makes me feel depressed and gloomy. Seton hill is much more enjoyable and Pitt itself is a wonderful city and of course I dig PBL

Reactions: 1 users

Its the same admissions process. Stats are identical. Erie has ~250 students in its 3 pathways, Seton Hill has ~115 in its one pathway. You apply to the same place regardless, you can just pick your campus on your pathway selection form at the interview.

3.82, 29(11,7,11)
NJ resident
Volunteered at 2 hospitals
Shadowed about 10 doctors

How bad will that 7 hurt me?

Good chance here?

Just got an ii here. Very excited, but it isn't until late February. Think Ill be able to get that bumped up a little?

EDIT: Feeling better about my date after reading some of the previous posts on this thread. Looks like everyone is late. Confirmed my date, however by late February I'm hoping to already be accepted and have a deposit down at at least one school.

I know i got my ii nov 11 for feb 25th. wish it was earlier!

Anyone waitlisted? What should we expect and how when will there be some movement?

Anyone waitlisted? What should we expect and how when will there be some movement?

Based on past cycles, waitlist movement begins around the end of March/early April, for LECOM in general, and LECOM tends to pull a lot of people off the waitlist.

Don't worry too much. I'd just be sure to update them with new good grades, MCAT retake scores, etc. If you have any. Also, if you shadow any docs, especially LECOM alums, that will also be a plus for you, and you could see if they can put in a good word for you.

Did you rank SH PBL as your top choice? If so, and you interviewed at Erie, you might want to contact LECOM-SH to get a tour of the place and show your interest if you are nearby.

Based on past cycles, waitlist movement begins around the end of March/early April, for LECOM in general, and LECOM tends to pull a lot of people off the waitlist.

Don't worry too much. I'd just be sure to update them with new good grades, MCAT retake scores, etc. If you have any. Also, if you shadow any docs, especially LECOM alums, that will also be a plus for you, and you could see if they can put in a good word for you.

Did you rank SH PBL as your top choice? If so, and you interviewed at Erie, you might want to contact LECOM-SH to get a tour of the place and show your interest if you are nearby.

I went to the Erie interview and then ranked seton hill as my top choice there so idk if that caused me to get waitlisted. I called and they said they will let me get on the waitlist for both campuses not just seton hill. I guess since I'm already out of school and not planning to take the Mcat I can only update them with volunteer activities or a second DO shadowing if that's necessary. I also sent a letter of interest but wouldn't have this early if I had known about the waitlist movement being in march..

does anybody know what the turnaround time post interview is? my ii for seton hill is february 25th but I have a deposit deadline for another school due March 15th

does anybody know what the turnaround time post interview is? my ii for seton hill is february 25th but I have a deposit deadline for another school due March 15th

How long were you under review on portal? and when did you get your interview invite?

Nice, I applied on Nov 18, praying for some response soon. The wait is killing me

i think it really depends on the week you submit. i think I just got lucky in the timing haha. we obviously have no idea what their timelines are with application processing at their admission offices. Im sure you'll hear from them soon though!

I went to the Erie interview and then ranked seton hill as my top choice there so idk if that caused me to get waitlisted. I called and they said they will let me get on the waitlist for both campuses not just seton hill. I guess since I'm already out of school and not planning to take the Mcat I can only update them with volunteer activities or a second DO shadowing if that's necessary. I also sent a letter of interest but wouldn't have this early if I had known about the waitlist movement being in march..

Being waitlisted doesn't have to do with ranking SH as number 1, don't worry about that. Most likely they handed out a ton kf acceptances up until now, and will know exactly how many seats are open sometime after Dec 15th. Its possible SH movement might happen near early Jan because of that, but I'm really not sure, and I know that most movement happens between late March and June, with some even in July.

Good luck with it, I hope it works out.

You should hear back something by the 15th (usually its a 2-3 wk turnaround), but it might be close. If I were you, I'd just wait until a couple days before the deadline to submit the deposit, because you may even get news from other schools by then.

Last edited:
For those who have interviewed-- is there an event the night before? I am interviewing there in March, and am trying to figure out the logistics for time off work.

for the stats-obsessed: I was complete with LECOM-SH on November 21 and got the II on 12/4. GPA 3.75 science 3.68, MCAT 25 (6P, 9V, 10B).

For those who have interviewed-- is there an event the night before? I am interviewing there in March, and am trying to figure out the logistics for time off work.

for the stats-obsessed: I was complete with LECOM-SH on November 21 and got the II on 12/4. GPA 3.75 science 3.68, MCAT 25 (6P, 9V, 10B).
are you interviewing on the 11th by any chance?

When you mean by complete, do you mean when LECOM sent the "We have processed your supplemental application" or by when all the required documents were checked off?

Nope. They wanted us to arrive at 7:15am. After eating some donuts and chatting it up with other interviewees, we assembled in a room where they told us all about the campus, grading policies, PBL, etc. We were then divided into two groups--one to begin the interview, one to learn more about PBL and financial aid. After 90 mins, the two groups switched places. We then took a tour and were finished by about 1:30pm or so. Not too bad.

question: it seems that some people who interview at ERIE may be putting Seton-Hill as their first choice at the interview. Are they on the waitlist for Seton Hill or does an acceptance for them mean Erie or Seton Hill? Sorry if this question doesn't make sense Im just wondering how many spots at Seton Hill have already been filled and if its close to capacity now.

Can people who have interviewed here recently please give us an update on how the interview was? Questions that threw you off or surprised you/preparation tips/any advice in general? Thanks!!

question: it seems that some people who interview at ERIE may be putting Seton-Hill as their first choice at the interview. Are they on the waitlist for Seton Hill or does an acceptance for them mean Erie or Seton Hill? Sorry if this question doesn't make sense Im just wondering how many spots at Seton Hill have already been filled and if its close to capacity now.

An acceptance at LECOM is an acceptance at LECOM. If you interview at Erie or Seton Hill, you rank the pathway (LDP, DSP, PBL-Erie, PBL-SH, PCSP, etc) you want at the interview and supposedly it has no effect on their decision (according to the recruiter/adcom member) but who knows. If your first choice is full they accept you into your second, etc, but you can still request to hold your seat and be put on the waitlist for your primary pathway (if you are accepted into an Erie pathway).

There is no good way to be sure how many spots are left without asking them, which usually happens at the interview. I can say that usually SH has had seats until around March or April, whereas Erie tends to get full around late Feb/early Mar, but this varies every year. It really depends on how many people withdraw their acceptance/don't pay their deposit.

Last edited: