Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM-Seton Hill) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

@AlteredScale , you might consider merging the Erie thread and the Seton Hill thread, since they share an application system (and a lot of other features). They were merged for the 2015-2016 cycle and that worked quite well.

At any rate, I just wanted to give a few tidbits. I'm a current second year at LECOM-SH, and I won't be checking this cycle's thread as often as I was able to this past cycle due to boards and rotations, but I'll try to check in and answer questions every once in a while.

A few tidbits:
--Don't try to read too much into the timeline of getting feedback on the Portal. It means next to nothing.
--Pathways available at Erie: LDP, DSP, PBL, APAP, PCSP. Pathways available at Seton Hill: PBL with very limited APAP.
--In the past, there hasn't been a secondary essay.
--Below is a slightly edited post I made months ago on how clinical rotations are set up in the "north" LECOM campuses, and I'm quoting it here so it'll be available on the front page. The details on available sites change a bit year-to-year, but the general principles should be the same.

Best of luck!

LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill
(maybe @hallowmann can help me fill in details)

Length at each site: all of 3rd year, 4th year depends on site

How is site determined?: match “lottery” organized by class government. One site reserved for GPA >3.0. GPA <2.5 are "alpha" and go to Elmira, NY or Erie, PA

Do students have to set up their own rotations?: For electives, selectives and family medicine but not other cores.

Freedom to do rotations outside of designated site?: Yes for electives and family medicine. Selectives can be at any LECOM affiliate. Not for cores unless you're military (HPSP).

States/Sites:

Home Hospital: I guess-- Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Residencies offered: ??? (they exist, I just don't know details)

True Academic University Sites (Residencies): I guess-- Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Community Sites (Residencies): (a lot of these have residencies but I don't have details offhand)

Pennsylvania:
Allegheny Health Network - Pittsburgh
Aria Health - Philadelphia
Butler Health System - Butler
Clarion Hospital - Clarion
Conemaugh Memorial -Johnstown
Guthrie/Robert Packer - Sayer
Indiana Regional MC- Indiana
Meadville MC - MEadville
Memorial Hospital - York
Millcreek Community - Erie
Penn Highlands - Dubois
Pinnacle Health- Harrisburg
Saint Vincent HC - Erie
Uniontown Hospital - Uniontown
UPMC Horizon - Farrell
Washington HS - Washington

Ohio:
Adena Health System - Chillicothe
East Liverpool - East Liverpool
St. Elizabeth - Youngstown
UHS Cleveland East - Cleveland
UHS Cleveland West - Cleveland

New York:
Arnot Ogden- Elmira
Niagara Falls MMC-- Niagara Falls
Our Lady of Lourdes- Binghampton
Samaritan MC - Watertown
Sisters of Charity - Buffalo
St. John's Episcopal - Far Rockaway
St. John's Riverside - Yonkers
United Memorial MC- Batavia
WCA Hospital - Jamestown

California:
San Diego Regional - San Diego

Michigan:
Beaumont- Trenton

3rd year rotations: 3 internal medicine, 2 surgery, 1 family medicine, 1 geriatrics, 1 psych, 1 peds, 1 OB/GYN, 2 electives, 1 vacation
4th year rotation: 1 "clinical development", 3 electives, 1 surgery selective, 1 medical selective, 1 primary care selective, 2 emergency medicine, 2 ambulatory medicine, 1 rural/underserved, 1 vacation

Notables:
--most sites have a mix of hospital-based and outpatient rotations
--many of these sites have associated AOA or ACGME residencies, but I don't have the details and don't want to spread misinformation
--you rank your top six programs and top four schedules (out of 13 options) and student government attempts to balance student happiness with meeting clin ed's requirements
--if your site doesn't have a certain rotation (e.g. several locations don't have psych) you go to Millcreek for that month. Housing is provided.
--our schedules have been organized to have (pro) multiple elective months in the fall of 4th year for audition rotations and (con) a mandatory month in Erie for a geriatrics rotation 3rd year

Edited: added a section on rotations by year

Reactions: 3 users
I just received a text from LECOM saying LECOM Erie is reviewing your application. Please check the LECOM Portal for updates as they occur. Anyone else get this text?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a text from LECOM saying LECOM Erie is reviewing your application. Please check the LECOM Portal for updates as they occur. Anyone else get this text?
I also received this message. My app has been "under review" for about a week

Received an interview invite moments ago! Incredibly blessed, excited, and anxious to attend my interview. While I am an underdog, I feel very confident that my PS and LORs will strongly help. Any advice from anyone is appreciated!

Received an interview invite moments ago! Incredibly blessed, excited, and anxious to attend my interview. While I am an underdog, I feel very confident that my PS and LORs will strongly help. Any advice from anyone is appreciated!
You just got an interview invite right now this late in the day?! Ahhh!

You just got an interview invite right now this late in the day?! Ahhh!

It must have been sent in the afternoon--I checked this morning and nada. IIRC you are also an underdog so I guess anything is possible. I want to kill the interview so I don't get put on a waitlist, but that would be better than nothing for sure.

It must have been sent in the afternoon--I checked this morning and nada. IIRC you are also an underdog so I guess anything is possible. I want to kill the interview so I don't get put on a waitlist, but that would be better than nothing for sure.

Either way congrats on the interview! It's a good step in the right direction. Hoping they have more IIs to give out.

I got an II too! No email yet, saw it on the portal

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome- congrats! Did you get one today? When were you marked complete?
Thank you! I am very excited. I got the email this morning, I was complete on June 24.

Me too!!! Aug 12 II

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I will be an OMSII at LECOM SH in August and I'd be happy to answer any possible questions you guys may have as you gear up for this cycle. Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My LOR are all on AACOMAS, how do we make sure that LECOM gets them? Or should I send them directly through Interfolio? I'm confused on where to upload stuff.

My LOR are all on AACOMAS, how do we make sure that LECOM gets them? Or should I send them directly through Interfolio? I'm confused on where to upload stuff.

I remember reading somewhere that sometime before your interview day, if they are on AACOMAS they will automatically be sent or able to be retrieved by LECOM. I can't find the link at the moment, but I know I read something to that effect which must be why I am not worrying about it anymore!

Hey, I get in at 6:15pm Thursday night and staying at the Super 8 in Greensburg, if anyone wants to get dinner together at around like 7:30 or so let me know!

Anybody know the format? MMI or traditional?

Is anyone else interviewing August 16? It would be great to know someone else before the big day!

Last edited:
Great to meet those of you that were there yesterday! It seemed like a solid group of applicants. The interviewers and staff were super nice and conversational. Awesome experience overall, would love to go here

I felt the exact same way about yesterday! Hopefully we all get in! Such a good experience

Great to meet those of you that were there yesterday! It seemed like a solid group of applicants. The interviewers and staff were super nice and conversational. Awesome experience overall, would love to go here

Last edited:
I felt the exactly same way about yesterday! Hopefully we all get in! Such a good experience
Agreed, very stimulating conversations and intelligent people all around. And a beautiful campus!

I selected Erie as my top choice and have an interview scheduled. Does anyone know if you can switch to Seton Hill? Do you need to be invited to interview there too?

I selected Erie as my top choice and have an interview scheduled. Does anyone know if you can switch to Seton Hill? Do you need to be invited to interview there too?

Your interview at Erie will count for both campuses. They give you a paper where you can rank which campus (and pathway) you would prefer

Your interview at Erie will count for both campuses. They give you a paper where you can rank which campus (and pathway) you would prefer
So even though I selected LECOM - Erie campus on the secondary, but after interview, I can still switch to Seton Hill? I just checked airfare from Philly to Erie International. Steep price!

So even though I selected LECOM - Erie campus on the secondary, but after interview, I can still switch to Seton Hill? I just checked airfare from Philly to Erie International. Steep price!

Yes.. I hear some people fly to Cleveland then drive to Erie

As long as there's available spots you totally can - just send an e-mail or call admissions.

As long as there's available spots you totally can - just send an e-mail or call admissions.
Wow! Thanks you! Save me 2 hrs of drive. That could make a difference!

@ortnakas Hey where do students typically live during rotations? Do they have to move to other rotation sites often?

@ortnakas Hey where do students typically live during rotations? Do they have to move to other rotation sites often?

Usually just get an apartment, since you're going to be there for the better part of two years.

As for moving to other rotation sites-- everyone has to go to Erie for a month for geri-med. Housing is provided, or you can find a friend to stay with because you'll probably know someone living in Erie. But other than that, at most sites you can probably stay at your core for all of third year if you want. If you have to move for a month because your site is missing a certain rotation or something gets dropped, housing will likely be provided for you-- or, again, you can use your network/the internet and find something else. You can likely stay at your core site for most of fourth year as well (there are a few exceptions, but you'd know about those at the time you ranked your choices of sites), but it's generally in your best interest to travel a bit and do some auditions.

Usually just get an apartment, since you're going to be there for the better part of two years.

As for moving to other rotation sites-- everyone has to go to Erie for a month for geri-med. Housing is provided, or you can find a friend to stay with because you'll probably know someone living in Erie. But other than that, at most sites you can probably stay at your core for all of third year if you want. If you have to move for a month because your site is missing a certain rotation or something gets dropped, housing will likely be provided for you-- or, again, you can use your network/the internet and find something else. You can likely stay at your core site for most of fourth year as well (there are a few exceptions, but you'd know about those at the time you ranked your choices of sites), but it's generally in your best interest to travel a bit and do some auditions.

Awesome, thank you!

Hey Guys!
I have an interview for LECOM at Seton Hill on 9/7. Is it correct that the entire day ends at 1? I scheduled my flight back to Chicago for 6pm and want to be sure that I don't cut it to close, or end up blowing off some other informal events after the interview day. I would like to stay in the Pittsburgh area longer, but alas, I am running low on PTO days at work! Also, as I have gotten the interview at Seton Hill will this be considered the campus that I end up joining or is there a possibility they would send me to Eerie? As a non-traditional student the fact that Seton Hill is close enough to Pittsburgh for my husband to find a job is a huge selling point on top of how great the school is already!

Any advice/helpful hints/easing of concerns would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Hey Guys!
I have an interview for LECOM at Seton Hill on 9/7. Is it correct that the entire day ends at 1? I scheduled my flight back to Chicago for 6pm and want to be sure that I don't cut it to close, or end up blowing off some other informal events after the interview day. I would like to stay in the Pittsburgh area longer, but alas, I am running low on PTO days at work! Also, as I have gotten the interview at Seton Hill will this be considered the campus that I end up joining or is there a possibility they would send me to Eerie? As a non-traditional student the fact that Seton Hill is close enough to Pittsburgh for my husband to find a job is a huge selling point on top of how great the school is already!

Any advice/helpful hints/easing of concerns would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.
I interviewed at SH last week, and they do a good job at ending things close to 1. It all depends on the group you're with and how smoothly the sessions run. The campus tour is the last item, and the students who lead you say up front that you can leave if you are worried about missing a flight. To be honest, if your flight isn't until 6, you should have plenty of time. The worst your commute could be to the airport is around 2 hours, and that is only if you hit rush hour traffic. Pittsburgh airport is fairly painless, and I have never waited more than 20 minutes to get through security. Basically, your travel after the interview should not be your biggest stress factor!

I interviewed at SH last week, and they do a good job at ending things close to 1. It all depends on the group you're with and how smoothly the sessions run. The campus tour is the last item, and the students who lead you say up front that you can leave if you are worried about missing a flight. To be honest, if your flight isn't until 6, you should have plenty of time. The worst your commute could be to the airport is around 2 hours, and that is only if you hit rush hour traffic. Pittsburgh airport is fairly painless, and I have never waited more than 20 minutes to get through security. Basically, your travel after the interview should not be your biggest stress factor!

The first interview date ended with the interview. We still finished around 1 though.

Does anyone know if we will be notified via phone, e-mail, snail mail, or Admissions Portal for a final decision post-interview?

Snail mail unfortunately

Okay I have a few questions:

Does anyone know the schedule for the first 12 weeks of lecture before PBL? (How long, breaks...)

Is it difficult to get through assigned readings for PBL? Are test questions very detail oriented?

Okay I have a few questions:

Does anyone know the schedule for the first 12 weeks of lecture before PBL? (How long, breaks...)

Is it difficult to get through assigned readings for PBL? Are test questions very detail oriented?

Hey @ritts,

I'm currently an OMS1 at LECOM-SH. Your first 12 weeks will be anatomy, histology, embryology, & OPP. The schedule varies from week to week, but generally Tuesdays are long (8am-5pm) because of OPP & anatomy labs.

After the first 12 weeks, you have ~250 pages to read every week for PBL. This depends on what topics you choose from various textbooks, so difficulty is very subjective. (We basically self study for anatomy too.) Test questions are written by different professors based on what textbooks you choose (anatomy, biochem, embryology, etc), so the level of detail varies as well.