Laminectomy under MAC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deepstate2016

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing them?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean general without an airway or an actual MAC?

I have heard of people doing them under spinal anesthesia, but MAC is a new one.

Members don't see this ad :)
67 y/o with is a cold 76 inches tall 360 lbs. Chronic back pain (whoda thunk it?), pain doc says no problem I can localize just need sedation. I can only picture pain movement demands for deeper sedation loss of airway and me in my good suit talking to people afterwards. So I declined the opportunity, afterwards I was informed that "everybody" did them this way. Still not feeling it.
In defense after lami they were wanting to place sacs leads, they could not due to the epidural space at that level being too "tight".

In defense after lami they were wanting to place sacs leads, they could not due to the epidural space at that level being too "tight".

Did somebody do the laminectomy under MAC?

Last edited:
67 y/o with is a cold 76 inches tall 360 lbs. Chronic back pain (whoda thunk it?), pain doc says no problem I can localize just need sedation.

This one gets zero "sedation" other than a rah-rah prep talk. YGBFKM

For what it's worth, my group commonly does single level disks and lamis under lido spinal with MAC (sometimes even chloroprocaine). It's a very nice anesthetic.

No one at my facility was chomping at the bit.