Languages and Boosting Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamp1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was trying to skim through the boards regarding languages and didn't really seem to find apropos information. On the "scale" set forth by the AMCAS, I would rate myself as having a fair, almost good, understanding of Spanish (I plan on studying further to make sure I am more set on Spanish when applying); however, a close friend of mine has recently gotten me into Sign Language, and am picking up the language at an accelerated rate compared to Spanish. For those that have applied or know of admissions processes, what benefits, if any, does having a fair-to-good understanding of two languages compare with having a basic-to-advanced learning of one to another (basic ASL to advanced Spanish)?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools strongly desire their students to be able to speak Spanish. You can use common sense to figure out which ones those are. I would think that sign language is an interesting addition to one's application like an extracurricular but not as valuable as fluency in Spanish or Mandarin.

Doesn't alter my choice making one way or another. It's never been mentioned in our AdCom meetings either, when we're arguing tooth and nail over to admit someone or not.

Take the language because you're interested in it, not whether you think it will impress us.

Hello everyone!

I was trying to skim through the boards regarding languages and didn't really seem to find apropos information. On the "scale" set forth by the AMCAS, I would rate myself as having a fair, almost good, understanding of Spanish (I plan on studying further to make sure I am more set on Spanish when applying); however, a close friend of mine has recently gotten me into Sign Language, and am picking up the language at an accelerated rate compared to Spanish. For those that have applied or know of admissions processes, what benefits, if any, does having a fair-to-good understanding of two languages compare with having a basic-to-advanced learning of one to another (basic ASL to advanced Spanish)?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!