Laptop Leasing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldogmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting med school in the fall, Navy HPSP, and I read on one of their websites that they pay up to $500 a year to lease a computer. Does anyone have some insight into this process? If I could get a new Macbook Pro, and have the Navy pay for a lease, that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting med school in the fall, Navy HPSP, and I read on one of their websites that they pay up to $500 a year to lease a computer. Does anyone have some insight into this process? If I could get a new Macbook Pro, and have the Navy pay for a lease, that would be great.

With the money you are saving by not going into debt, I would just buy your own computer. No one I know has really figured out how to get the military to pay for computers. Still, I would just buy one. My guess is that leasing a computer has more problems than just buying one.

No one I know has really figured out how to get the military to pay for computers.

No one???? I find that hard to believe. Is that b/c of military bs/red tape?

Still, I would just buy one. My guess is that leasing a computer has more problems than just buying one.

You're probably right. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a first year medical student there was a company that leased laptops to HPSP students. Unfortunately the company folded after a couple of years and I haven't heard of anyone else who is willing to pick up where they left off.

Laptops can be had for cheap these days, why even bother renting? I'm not even sure if that is at all possible.
No company will lease a commodity that will be obsolete by the time the lease is up.

Many have tried to take advantage of this via HPSP, but I don't think anyone was actually successful.

theres a company who does it, they're out of texas. can't remember name now but i'm posting from my leased computer and have had no issues through two years. guy is military and knows what we need for reimbursement. ill look at the lease when i'm home.

check out cambridge computers.

Maybe I will. It would be great if this works out. Thanks for the tip!

check it out, they were able to get me a mac, but im a couple years in. i know they had to look into it for me.

I sent an email last night so we'll have to see what he says.

If you decide to go with anything other than Mac, I know $500 will buy a LOT of computer. On the topic of companies not leasing because of future obsolescence, I know for certain that Dell and IBM/Lenovo do a ton of leasing in the corporate world. Now, the question of exactly how that translates into military usage is completely different (and I personally wouldn't want to be locked into a specific PC for four years). Though I have personally worked on a few leased Dell PCs in Army recruiting offices (I'm an on-site warranty technician for Dell/IBM/Lenovo/Sony), so I know that there is some sort of program in place.

Can you guys call an iPad a computer and get HPSP to pay for it?

On the iPhone

I am pretty sure a "tablet pc" is covered, that website even mentions they are able to get one, but i'm not sure if that extrapolates to an iPad