Laptop/tablet suggestions for podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

head over heels90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting podiatry school in the fall and am looking into buying a new laptop. I just wanted to see what people recommend/ have found to be helpful. Specifically, I will be attending Scholl. I had originally been thinking a Surface Pro might be a good choice so I'm also wondering if anyone has any opinions on that? Also, is it recommended to have both a tablet and laptop? Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a quick list of things your computer will need to do at Scholl:
-Lecture videos (Some lectures are recorded in video format/audio format)
-PowerPoint (For class notes/presentations)
-Word Processing (For group projects/papers)
-PDF viewing (Some class notes are in this format)
-PDF editing (If you want to make notes in the margins on the computer)
-Flash/quicktime (Pathoma review videos/USMLE reviews for part 1/Flash games for boredom)
-VLC player (Free downloadable video/audio player which allows you to easily double the video speed to hasten lecture videos)
-Spotify/Pandora (You will need music)
-Firefox/chrome (These browsers are much more secure and much faster)

All of these tasks can be accomplished on most PC/MAC machines. The ipad family may be a little underpowered to handle all the tasks and they tend to only last about 3 years because like any apple product the mandatory software updates render it as an expensive paper weight. The Microsoft surface luckily avoids this. The main thing is to get a computer with plenty of RAM and a large hard drive. The RAM will all you to run music, powerpoint, word, a PDF, 10 webpages, and a flash game without crashing (this is what everyone should be worried about).

Edit: I don't mean to bash on the ipad, they are great. They just function better as an adjunct to an actual computer. The Surface functions as a normal computer and avoids the pitfalls.

Really, any decent, dependable build will suit you fine for school as far as a laptop goes. I wouldn't go sole tablet (maybe surface pro?). I did switch to use of an iPad during 2nd year but I was glad to have a laptop available. If you do get an iPad, I recommend notability. Great app, let's you write anywhere on your lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
macbook air.
easy to haul around. never slows down. does everything you need it to do.

Tablet is a must, you will end up getting tons of books on pdf, reading them on a laptop is annoying. I'd get both.

Tablet is a must, you will end up getting tons of books on pdf, reading them on a laptop is annoying. I'd get both.

Tablet is definitely not a "must". I've done just fine during school with a computer and plan to get an iPad mini or something similar for residency. Absolutely depends if you are someone who can read off a computer, someone who prefers printed documents, or if you prefer a tablet.

i'm still using my 2008 toshiba satellite laptop. granted, it's dying as we speak but it served its purpose during school. i got a galaxy tab for cheap ($150) for 3rd/4th years and it came in handy during clinic and externships. It was convenient to have a bunch of journal articles, textbooks, and manuals in one slim device. get a tablet that fits into a white coat pocket, which means the screen should be 8" or smaller.

I will be starting podiatry school in the fall and am looking into buying a new laptop. I just wanted to see what people recommend/ have found to be helpful. Specifically, I will be attending Scholl. I had originally been thinking a Surface Pro might be a good choice so I'm also wondering if anyone has any opinions on that? Also, is it recommended to have both a tablet and laptop? Thanks so much for your input!

I got a tablet between 2nd and 3rd year, right before the clinical phase of our curriculum started, and I've found it to be an extremely functional purchase. I don't think it was a necessity the first two years (though I can only speak for the experience at DMU), but it definitely enhanced studying/looking things up during rotations in the clinical years. As I believe someone already said, if you're going to get a tablet, get one that fits in a white coat pocket (I have the iPad mini).

Don't spend a lot of money. It's really not needed. My $350 Toshiba did me well all 4 years. Powerpoint, pdf, and youtube is really all you need. Everything else would be for personal use and not school use. Cell phones are fine for looking things up in clinic.

Anybody who doesn't get a Surface Pro 3 is crazy. Buy PDF annotator and boom, everything you need. Between OneNote and PDF annotator, you can mark up all the articles/books you need. Surface replaced my tablet and laptop. It was an easy switch too since I came from DMU and was used to the Toshiba Portege tablet with pen.