Laptops/tablets/technology advice for PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdaniels360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm starting PT school next week and still don't have a laptop/tablet that i'm comfortable using for school. I have an ipad but i want an actual computer too.

What do you guys have>? Suggestions? I want something smaller thats not too bulky that does the simple stuff and has a good battery life. Thats really my only criteria.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest something light with a great battery. I have a 13 inch macbook air but it is by no means the only good laptop.

Depends on how you like taking notes and what platform you prefer - as long as it connects to the internet. I prefer tablets myself but they do not fully replace a laptop. For research and more extensive video projects, any good PC/MacBook will work. We used google docs to share and collaborate ideas in the cloud so cross-platform compatibility was never a problem. The new MacBook Air coming out is suppose to start at $899. It's a good deal for those who prefer OSX. It also has one of the longest battery life in its class. The only problem I have seen are anecdotal. Five of my classmates got new macs this past semester. Three airs and two pros. Of the three airs, 2 had a issues. One with fan failure (loud clacking noise and heat, it was the only moving part so I recommended she take it back to the apple store) and the other air's SSD failed. One pro's keyboard just stopped working, switching letters when typing before not responding all together. However, for the pro, I personally think there was more to it than that. It sounded like liquid exposure but the user denied water contact. My own mid-2012 pro has given me no issues what so ever. I guess what I'm trying to say is that an extended apple care wouldn't hurt should you go that route.

For note taking, many of us converted to iPads and iPad minis. Half of us use styli while the other half used the attachable keyboards. I prefer using the Notability app and a stylus. I download the lecture in .pdf or .pptx and convert to .pdf and hand write my notes.

Which takes me to software. Software determines your hardware, really. I would try out a few friends' UI setup to see what I would prefer. I experimented quit a bit. For example, I prefer styli with the softer fabric tips versus the rubber. Also, the 16GB version of tablets seem to run out of storage quick when consistently downloading lectures for notes. Go out to Best Buy or something and play around with Win8 and OSX. See what you would prefer. Our school provided all the office and security software for free. I assume most schools do too. But if your school does not, I recommend including their cost in your budget. Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Azi, you said you use the edit software like notability, then you said you hand write your notes. Maybe i interpreted that incorrectly, or it was poorly phrased lol either way, which one is it? I'm old school and like to hand write but i feel like that paper could add up quickly. I'm hesitant to convert to electronic, and have also been a pen and paper guy.... suggestions?

EDIT: Hand write onto notability with a stylus? Is that what you mean?

Azi, you said you use the edit software like notability, then you said you hand write your notes. Maybe i interpreted that incorrectly, or it was poorly phrased lol either way, which one is it? I'm old school and like to hand write but i feel like that paper could add up quickly. I'm hesitant to convert to electronic, and have also been a pen and paper guy.... suggestions?

EDIT: Hand write onto notability with a stylus? Is that what you mean?

Yes, I hand wrote my notes into Notability. Try out a free note taking app on your iPad using different types of styli. I use the Trent type with the fabric tips because they're really smooth and I write faster with them. Others like the rubber tips. It's not for everyone so you should def try them out first.

I guess i could do that, i did it for a few labs in undergrad. However, this is a 16gb ipad with limited space. Could a get some kind of external hard drive?

I guess i could do that, i did it for a few labs in undergrad. However, this is a 16gb ipad with limited space. Could a get some kind of external hard drive?

Yes you can. You can also back up regularly to a cloud storage of your choice, such as Google Drive.

Tablets are still desk toys if you have ask me. I know some people who use them but like Azi said, they certainly don't have the computing power or the capability to fully replace a laptop. But tablets are convenient and light. I have a Dell XPS and it's been a game changer. I can't believe I completed undergraduate school without it. I have all my notes from all my classes. When I was doing my clinical earlier this year, that was convenient. Many of my classmates, even in 2014, still prefer to print all their notes and put them in binders. Obviously there are many disadvantages to that. Unless you absolutely need to have physical notes, don't print them and get a laptop or tablet.

So yes I recommend you have a laptop or a tablet. I have seen machines that can be laptops or tablet (Levano?) Those are probably the most versatile machines. I've never used Apple products but plenty of my classmates have MacBooks Pros and Airs. They look like powerful machines and the resolution on the screens is incredible. But if I had to recommend a laptop, it would be an Asus. But you need to test several products before you buy one.

When you decide to buy a machine, get a warranty or find a reputable computer repair shop. I also recommend anti-virus software, either Kaspersky or Norton. Finally, get a large USB drive and a DVD player if it is not included with the computer.

Ended up going with the Acer Aspire M5 4th generation with i5 processor. And yes.... People still use pen and paper In 2014. I'm kind of torn on what to do since I've never done electronic. Now isn't exactly the best time to try and transition since I start my program on Tuesday.... Thoughts?

Ended up going with the Acer Aspire M5 4th generation with i5 processor. And yes.... People still use pen and paper In 2014. I'm kind of torn on what to do since I've never done electronic. Now isn't exactly the best time to try and transition since I start my program on Tuesday.... Thoughts?

Have you never used a computer? The best time to transition is now.

Nope sure haven't. This will be a first. Then why not now, you're exactly right! Most of my classmates were paper too and are all going electronic. So lets get it done. Why not! :)

I'll be making the switch from pen and paper to tablet for school in the fall as well, leaning towards the iPad. I always hated writing by hand since I'm left handed - ink smears a lot >.<

Reactions: 1 user
haahaha i'm a lefty too. I'm on the ipad now and idk if you can do everything you need on here. If i were you i would get the biggest one as far as storage goes bc i only have the 16gb and it wont even be close to having enough space for everything i'll save the next 3 years. I just bought a new laptop but ill definitely be keeping this ipad.

Looks like a great deal. For $500 you will have everything you need in one place. The touch screen is particularly helpful.

I have the Yoga 13" and my brother has the Yoga Pro 2 13" - we both love it. I think it's a solid choice. Not sure I'll use it to take notes in class (I start tomorrow!) because of how easily I'm distracted but I definitely think it's a good machine to give you the option.

I picked up the $500 11" Lenovo Yoga. Zero complaints. The best design for a laptop I have ever owned - Windows 8.1 is coming along - definitely better with a touch screen. Perfect size for note taking and around campus use. A++ would recommend.

I'd like to share something that I've been finding particularly useful- it's called a Bamboo Create. It's a flat plastic tablet that plugs into a USB port on any laptop, and it's typically used by digital artists/graphic designers. I like to hand-write everything rather than type, but my school requires laptops- the tablet lets me electronically write and draw and take notes on my powerpoints and word documents.

Reactions: 1 user