Large anesthesia/pain groups contracting with hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoPain4U

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of job opportunities. One of which involves an anesthesia pain group that contracts with hospitals where in the pain physicians run the clinics at a variety of different hospitals. 90% of your time is at one hospital so that you can develop a reputation their. The other 10% may involve rotating at other hospitals for coverage etc. The salary looks pretty good for a major city. Base is $300k guaranteed x 2 years then 75% net collections after that. My questions are as follows:

1. Are their dynamics I should be aware of with regard to external groups contracting with hospitals? Is this a private practice or hospital based job? I've yet to quite understand the dynamics. Do I need to deal with the infamous hospital administrators, or am I responsible to the group themselves? I think it is the latter, but unsure.

2. Working in a hospital based system, will my collections be effected or is this technically a private clinic where professional fees are higher?

3. What is my earning potential with 75% net collections? The physicians I spoke to see about 15 patients daily and 12 procedures daily. Is there good long-term potential or should I look elsewhere?

Any words of advice are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

75% net collections of probably
Your professional fees only

Based on my limited experience most places won't account ( and give you credit) for the facility fees. ( the bigger pot)

Probably it will be billed as in hosp.

you will generate professional fees and the rest will indubitably be HOPD facility fees that you will not see.

primary dynamics will be with your group, but be wary of not peeving off admin, cause they may up and get rid of the group and hire their own docs. this bites a lot of docs who think they are above hospital admin and are not cognizant to realize that a mutual give and take is most likely to be profitable.

your earning potential will be highly dependent on the insurance profile. see mostly medicaid, you wont be paid jack, but the hospital will be quite happy.