Largest medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can find a list of the largest med schools in the U.S. (Top 10)
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know, but im almost positive the largest med school is UI-Chicago.

Drexel and NYMC are up there too

University of Illinois is the largest medical school in the country. Drexel is the largets private medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
mcg has 180 where does this rank with the others mentioned?

UIC has the largest class in the nation followed by Indiana. 180 is actually more common than imagined, Northwestern has 180, and I'm sure many more do too.

Just to be [somewhat] complete:

all classes over 200:

Temple 200
all U of Texas' 200
MedCOW 204
Ohio State 210 (note Northeastern Ohio 25)
Jefferson 228
Drexel 235
Wayne State MI 256
Indiana 280
UIC 300!

compiled from MSAR 02-03. If anyone wants this book, lemme know.

Originally posted by pocwana

Temple 200
all U of Texas' 200
MedCOW 204
Jefferson 228
Drexel 235
Wayne State MI 256
Indiana 280
UIC 300!

WOW

Temple - 200
Jefferson 228
Drexel 235
Penn - 150
PCOM (osteopathic) - 250

= 1063 medical students per year in the city of Philadelphia

Man, no wonder 1 out of every 6 doctors in the US did some part of their training (med school, residency, fellowship) in Philly.

If I remember correctly, Einstein has a pretty large class. I think 180.

I agree einstein has a very large class. Somewhere near 200

Anybody know what the smallest class is?
I am not positive, but I think Texas A&M's is somewhere around 65-70 which makes it by far the smallest in Texas. I'm sure there are smaller, anyone know?

I would say Mayo Clinic or Meharry

Both are around 45 students

Originally posted by UTH2003
Anybody know what the smallest class is?
I am not positive, but I think Texas A&M's is somewhere around 65-70 which makes it by far the smallest in Texas. I'm sure there are smaller, anyone know?

Mayo is 42 total students per class; six are MD/PhD and 2 are dentist in OMS residency leaving a total of 34 plain MD students per class.

I know that UIC has a very large incoming class, but that's misleading. Its 300 students between 4 campus' - Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Urbana.....each having their separate curriculum, hospital rotations, and each campus having their own ranking of students..... Its like saying the UC schools is 1 system so they accept like 1000 kids every year... just my opinion. However, the Chicago campus has 175 every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I realize that the thread is 9 years old. Nonetheless, I wish to add the following to this thread:

Currently, LECOM (Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine) is the largest medical school in the country and graduated 389 physicians in 2011.

Source:
http://eyedrd.org/2011/06/an-osteop...is-the-largest-medical-school-in-america.html

17250707.jpg

WOW

Temple - 200
Jefferson 228
Drexel 235
Penn - 150
PCOM (osteopathic) - 250

= 1063 medical students per year in the city of Philadelphia

Man, no wonder 1 out of every 6 doctors in the US did some part of their training (med school, residency, fellowship) in Philly.

It sometimes feels like half the city is somehow involved in the healthcare system in one way or another.

Also, this thread predates my account by like 6 years, that's just crazy.

Hi,

I am new to this forum.. Thanks for sharing this valuable reply.. Through this we can get more innovative things..

Good response :thumbup: Made me wanna buy a t-shirt

Here is a handy link you can use to find out the largest medical schools (hint, the first link looks like a good idea to click on):
http://bit.ly/M3iHcZ

Just to be [somewhat] complete:

all classes over 200:

Temple 200
all U of Texas' 200
MedCOW 204
Jefferson 228
Drexel 235
Wayne State MI 256
Indiana 280
UIC 300!

compiled from MSAR 02-03. If anyone wants this book, lemme know.
Can't see how old a thread is on my phone
Deleted.

This thread was made when I was 12. I bet I was playing pokemon.

Largest medical school? Are you looking for height, width, or volume?

groce.

Last edited: