Larkin Community Hospital in South Miami AOA Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And yes, it does have a derm fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. I can tell you not to apply for Larkin neurology. Just don't do it for the 2015 match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. I can tell you not to apply for Larkin neurology. Just don't do it for the 2015 match.

Care to share why? I too have heard horrible things about this place (all their residencies), but it'd be nice to hear what you have to say. Are you a resident there?

Any updates about this place? I'm considering doing a 3rd year psych rotation as an allopathic student.

Just call into the place at different days of the week and different hours and ask for the different departments of the GME and get your impression. They were clueless and could barely put sentences together when I called there. Emails and their documents about the programs were just as bad.
Also know that the freeways going North and South, 75, 95, etc. have some of the worst traffic you will ever see and working nights will be the only way to avoid this.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have anything to say about the general surgery residency?

Just call into the place at different days of the week and different hours and ask for the different departments of the GME and get your impression. They were clueless and could barely put sentences together when I called there. Emails and their documents about the programs were just as bad.
Also know that the freeways going North and South, 75, 95, etc. have some of the worst traffic you will ever see and working nights will be the only way to avoid this.

Miami sounds amazing and horrific at the same time.

All the residencies and fellowships are horrible the whole thing is just for making money. Few poorly trained attendings, small patient population. Do not go there, you will get in somewhere else not worth it. Also low pay in extremely expensive city. Again dont do it.

All the residencies and fellowships are horrible the whole thing is just for making money. Few poorly trained attendings, small patient population. Do not go there, you will get in somewhere else not worth it. Also low pay in extremely expensive city. Again dont do it.
Their anesthesia program just got ACGME accreditation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

According to the ACGME its only initially accredited, still they had to lie a good bit on the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the ACGME its only initially accredited, still they had to lie a good bit on the application.

As he said, initial accreditation is the only form of ACGME accreditation that programs get when they are, wait for it, initially accredited. The ACGME RRC also has to perform a site visit and during that process they usually talk to residents too.

I know nothing of the programs or training there, but at very least the Anesthesiology program there meets the minimum requirements for ACGME accreditation, so that says something.

Anyone in the medical world would tell you to stay away from any program at Larkin... Something must be wrong there!

Anyone in the medical world would tell you to stay away from any program at Larkin... Something must be wrong there!

Do you have personal experience from your rotations at Larkin? Why is it so bad in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Do you have personal experience from your rotations at Larkin? Why is it so bad in your opinion?

I don't to be honest but I had 3 people that told me not to apply there for anything...
I have 0 ties to the Miami medical community or anywhere else in Florida. So I really don't know. It could be a horrible program.

My concern is that it's an SDN meme (in the original definition of meme as coined by Richard Dawkins.) Someone on SDN said Larkin is bad, and it's become an idea that self-propagates, in this case, from thread to thread and year to year.

The primary criticism of Larkin is that the program is designed to make money and does not provide good training. Whether or not that's true is hard to say without hearing from residents, but it is worth noting that Larkin was/is recently involved in the biggest medical insurance fraud scheme in the history of the United States.

I have 0 ties to the Miami medical community or anywhere else in Florida. So I really don't know. It could be a horrible program.

My concern is that it's an SDN meme (in the original definition of meme as coined by Richard Dawkins.) Someone on SDN said Larkin is bad, and it's become an idea that self-propagates, in this case, from thread to thread and year to year.

My info come from one resident and 2 nurses who work there... As I said before, I have no personal connection with any of their programs...

The primary criticism of Larkin is that the program is designed to make money and does not provide good training. Whether or not that's true is hard to say without hearing from residents, but it is worth noting that Larkin was/is recently involved in the biggest medical insurance fraud scheme in the history of the United States.

If you're referring to the https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc...undering-scheme-leads-to-florida-arrests.html
Only an employee is being charge, not the institution.

If you're referring to the https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc...undering-scheme-leads-to-florida-arrests.html
Only an employee is being charge, not the institution.

"An unidentified local hospital referred some of the thousands of Medicare patients to his network through kickback payments to physicians and other medical professionals, according to the indictment. The Miami Herald has learned that it is Larkin Community Hospital in South Miami...Esformes is charged with conspiring with Arnaldo Carmouze, 56, a Palmetto Bay physician's assistant, and Odette Barcha, 49, a former director of outreach programs at Larkin."

I would not consider Barcha simply an "employee."

Source: Beach exec charged in $1 billion Medicare fraud struggles to get bail

Just came across this thread, I am a P1 College of Pharmacy Student at Larkin Universty, which is the not for profit affiliate of Larkin System Hospital. I have rotated through the 2 Larkin hospital facilities in Miami and have to say the medical residents are very satisfied with their training. So far all their graduates have either gone into private practice or are Chairs of Departments or Faculty at schools throughout the US.
Seems like there is a lot of misinformation on this due to the fact that Larkin residents are not on this threads so most of the people giving opinions have no basis

So far all their graduates have either gone into private practice or are Chairs of Departments or Faculty at schools throughout the US.

Where? Care to give us one or two previous grads who are chairs now?

Just came across this thread, I am a P1 College of Pharmacy Student at Larkin Universty, which is the not for profit affiliate of Larkin System Hospital. I have rotated through the 2 Larkin hospital facilities in Miami and have to say the medical residents are very satisfied with their training. So far all their graduates have either gone into private practice or are Chairs of Departments or Faculty at schools throughout the US.
Seems like there is a lot of misinformation on this due to the fact that Larkin residents are not on this threads so most of the people giving opinions have no basis

Just because the residents say they are satisfied doesnt mean the training is satisfactory. Perhaps the residents don't want Larkin's shortcomings to be used as a factor to discredit themselves professionally. And just because someone goes on to be successful after training there doesnt mean that Larkin was responsible for their success. The residents could have been successful in spite of Larkin. It's best to compare Larkin GME to other GME programs, not subjective measures of success like those personal anecdotes from the residents.

Just because the residents say they are satisfied doesnt mean the training is satisfactory. Perhaps the residents don't want Larkin's shortcomings to be used as a factor to discredit themselves professionally. And just because someone goes on to be successful after training there doesnt mean that Larkin was responsible for their success. The residents could have been successful in spite of Larkin. It's best to compare Larkin GME to other GME programs, not subjective measures of success like those personal anecdotes from the residents.
The most objective way is to look at placements: where the residents and fellows who trained at Larkin went to. I asked GME for this and will post when I receive it. But I attended the last graduation a week ago and it was pretty obvious that the graduating residents/fellows went to their top choices. For example Ophthalmology resident went to Bascom Palmer Eye Institute for Subspecialty, etc...
The only objective way to compare programs now that there is a unification program underway is to see the outcomes of the conversion to ACGME. Larkin has received Continuing Accreditation for Psychiatry, Initial Accreditation for Radiology, Initial Accreditation for Anesthesiology, they are currently working on 3 and 4 year programs and moving down to fellowships next year. The Institutional Accreditation Survey at the Larkin Community Hospital South Miami Campus went extremely well and the ACGME surveyor was very complementary and even said that she would be providing our contact info for other programs to call us to get guidance. I sat in during her interview with the residents as part IPE.