Lasik

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superhuntress

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had Lasik? My parents have offered me Lasik so I don't have to worry about wearing contacts or glasses in dental school, and I am wondering if this is a good idea. I am kind of nervous, but it would be really great to not have to wear glasses or contacts. Can anyone offer me any advice on Lasik? Anyone thrilled, any complaints?

Members don't see this ad.

The personal experience of individuals is a great way to learn about the process of Lasik, PRK, or similar laser eye surgery, but it is a terrible way to determine what you can expect. Every person is different. You would not put in your friend's contact lenses and expect to see well. Neither can you expect what another has experienced (good or bad).

I work with a nonprofit Lasik patient advocacy and our Quality Standards Advisory Committee evaluated many studies published in journals, the FDA clinical trial data, and the outcomes of thousands of patients to determine the current outcome norms for refractive surgery. These studies included all types of patients (nearsighted, farsighted, astigmatism, presbyopia) and all types of procedures (Lasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, P-IOL, RLE, CK) and determined:

90% of patients attain 20/40 vision or better and are within one diopter of target.

65% of patients attain 20/20 vision or better and are within one-half diopter of target.

3% have an unresolved complication at six months postop.

0.5% have a serious complication that requires either extensive maintenance or invasive intervention.

These statistics also do not represent what you can expect, but are a general guideline. Although the vast majority of Lasik patient are delighted with the outcome, Lasik is surgery and there is no such thing as a guaranteed outcome. There is always risk and only a comprehensive examination by a competent doctor can tell you if your risk is elevated or normal.

Glenn Hagele
Executive Director
USAEyes

I just did it about 2 months ago before my residency started. I didn't want to deal with contacts when I got called in at 3AM so I sucked it up and did it. Now I'm seeing better than 20/20. Best decision I've made in a while. They even had some reasonable no interest payment plans. My only regret was that I didn't do it years ago. Also, even though you could technically go back to work the next day, give yourself a few days to recover if you could afford to do so. Give yourself a few weeks before you come into contact with aerosols (AKA handpiece spray/dremel dust). Definitely don't want to get an infection. Choose a good doc and you won't regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got it done two weeks ago too.

I did not want to do it until now cuz i was so scared about possible complication. But recently I started to have problems with contact lenses getting red eyes and serious dryness. I heard that it is common to have these problems with contact lenses especially if you wore them for about 10 yrs (my case 7 yrs).

I could not afford to have dryness and red eyes during my school yrs since I start dental school in Aug and dryness seems to make me feel more tired. So I have decided to get it done before I start school.

I was able to see right out of the surgery. One day of rest, and I was good to go any where.

Because my sights are really bad (D-7.75, D-8.5), I booked for two surgeries. After the first surgery, I have 20/20 in the right eye, and 20/25 in the left. And I have another surgery coming up in two weeks.
I chose to have two surgeries because the doctor said since my eye sights are really poor and different, two surgeries will maintain my sights longer and the same for both eyes.

Look for a doctor with low touch-up(re-surgery) rate. The national average for touch-up is about 10%. And I chose the one with 2%. And they will tell you what kind of surgery fits you better. Also they might tell you that you are not fit for surgery as well.

I am glad that I got it done.

__

Last edited:
It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The only thing I'd change is getting it done sooner. Dr. Tayfour is one of the best near the D. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your replies everyone! This is a big, scary decision, but I feel better hearing from dental students who have gone through it. I appreciate all of your comments.

so... after the correction, how long does it last? is there relapse somewhere down the road? I heard something about your eyes getting bad regardless and you have to get more surgery later on. ???? just normal aging process or what?

so... after the correction, how long does it last? is there relapse somewhere down the road? I heard something about your eyes getting bad regardless and you have to get more surgery later on. ???? just normal aging process or what?

There have been some reports of a small amount myopia regression later on down the road, but there isn't much literature out there on what happens to people who get LASIK 10+ years after surgery.

If you get LASIK, it does NOT mean that you will never have to wear glasses or contacts ever again, just less often. An example of when you'll need glasses later might be when you are ready for a near prescription or bifocal.

Don't get it if you're planning on joining the military within the year.