Lasik?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPGator3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that getting LASIK is a good idea before dental school? Has anybody else had it done?

I'm starting in the fall and I'm wondering if wearing glasses will be a pain in the ass while I am bending over people all day. Contacts aren't an option and I'm old enough that my eyes aren't still changing.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think that getting LASIK is a good idea before dental school? Has anybody else had it done?

I'm starting in the fall and I'm wondering if wearing glasses will be a pain in the ass while I am bending over people all day. Contacts aren't an option and I'm old enough that my eyes aren't still changing.

Just wondering, why aren't contacts an option?

If you have the money, I would do LASIK especially if your eyes are not changing. I don't know a lot, but they talk about Loopes and I don't know if you can wear them with glasses. But why aren't contacts an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
u can use loopes if u have glasses. leave the contact question alone he doesnt want contacts haha...
but i would talk to ur optom, bout side effects and such. the dentist i work for has glasses and hes never complained about them.. i say do it so u can see as well as this guy :eek:

I had lasik done when I was 18 and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. You instantly see better right after the surgery and you just have to take it easy on the eyes for a couple of days and you have great vision for the rest of your life. There is a possibility that your eyes will change and that you will need an enhancement but it is cheaper than the full on surgery. Also they give you options on whether you want to see perfectly now and have to get an enhancement or reading glasses during your 40's or they laser one eye perfect and the other one almost perfect and your brain will adjust and you won't have to get an enhancement or reading glasses when you get older. Obviously an optometrist will explain it better than me but once again I say go for it!

Just wondering, why aren't contacts an option?

There's no medical or financial reason. I just really, really hate contacts. They are really uncomfortable, to me, and I've never been able to get used to them. It's just a personal preference.

I'm considering it too, but I'm paranoid I'll be one of the .01% that goes blind or whatever.

I've always had poor vision, but did okay with glasses and contacts. But a few years ago I randomly developed all these problems that make glasses and contacts nearly impossible to deal with. And I can see these problems interfering with my ability to do dentistry as well.

I know 99% of people have it done with no problems, if you're screwed if you're in that 1%. And being the paranoid, OCD person that I am, I'm nervous about ending up in that 1%.

I'm still considering it. The next time I've got time off, I need to visit some docs and talk to them about it.

Last edited:
I've heard some warnings about laser eye surgeries. They may fix your long distance vision, but there is a slight chance that your close vision will becoming significantly worse. Since dentists do require a lot of close examination of specimens you might want to be wary of the possible consequences. My dad talked to the doctor about getting laser eye surgery and that was the response he got. Apparently its not a perfect system yet...

my neighbor, a friend of mine got lasik and it toooootally screwed up their eyes. i plan on avoiding it

I had LASIK done half a year ago and it was the best decision I've ever made. Personally, I found that the side effects, which are really really minor and don't bother me at all, were quite worth it. Even if my vision improved but wasn't perfect, I still would've done LASIK all over again. And besides, the side effects get better over time. I rather have better eyes now and enjoy life without glasses! It's inevitable that when you reach your 40s you gotta wear reading glasses. But of course any surgery has its risks. I thought the benefits outweighed the risks by far when I got it done, so I wasn't too worried :p

The only side effects I still have now are slightly dry eyes, but I also live in a really dry area. One drop per eye once a day solves that problem :)

oh and I asked my doctor what was the worst case that had happened in that particular clinic and he said it was infection. Nothing about blindness or people getting even worse vision

my neighbor, a friend of mine got lasik and it toooootally screwed up their eyes. i plan on avoiding it

It sounds like the same neighbor who had a dentist "toooootally screwed up" his teeth.

one of my parents friend did have pretty miserable experience with this surgery for several months he was next to blind, his vision decreased, blurred, he was teary etc. I am not sure how it got resloved but as with any surgery there is always chance of complication and it is not to be taken lightly when we are talking about vision. I would suggest putting a lot of consideration and discussing it with several ophtalmologists, getting second and third opinion if needed.

one of my parents friend did have pretty miserable experience with this surgery for several months he was next to blind, his vision decreased, blurred, he was teary etc. I am not sure how it got resloved but as with any surgery there is always chance of complication and it is not to be taken lightly when we are talking about vision. I would suggest putting a lot of consideration and discussing it with several ophtalmologists, getting second and third opinion if needed.

Hopefully you will be using the same logic and advise your future patients to get multiple opinions before starting any dental treatment be it endo, oral surgery, perio, prosthodontics, ortho and maybe even prophies and X-rays.

Hopefully you will be using the same logic and advise your future patients to get multiple opinions before starting any dental treatment be it endo, oral surgery, perio, prosthodontics, ortho and maybe even prophies and X-rays.
touché

I have a close friend whose dad is an optometrist. He wears glasses and so do both of his daughters. He won't get LASIK and told his daughters (who both wear contacts) not to as well because "it's not good enough yet." I trust his opinion and have decided to wait.

Agreed, every optometrist I have ever been around wears glasses! That's enough for me to say no to LASIKS.

Eyes are much more valuable and vulnerable than the mouth. At least I think so...