Lasik

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBlaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am near sighted, with a prescription of about -2.00. So, I need glasses most of the time, which is a hassle. I was considering getting Lasik surgery before starting dental school. However, is it not worth the risk? I really rather have perfect vision without the use of glasses and everything, and I think Lasik would be the answer. But, do the cons outweigh the pros with Lasik, especially as future dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

i know 2 ppl in dentistry that did lasik.

one person had no problems and another had some problems with his vision.

i really would love to get lasik done as well but seeing a friend having problems put serious doubt in my mind.

lol besides, your eyesight is not that bad. our eyesights will probably get worse after 4 yrs of dental school due to endless studying and age.

maybe wait till you're done dental school to get lasik done? at least this way, you'll do it after your eyesight stabilizes

I got it done a month before school started, no problems here

Members don't see this ad :)
To the above, has your vision been stable for years before you decided to do lasik?

I was wondering about this too recently. I'm sure it helps because you don't have to worry about contacts and getting ready in the morning AND you save money on contact lens, contact solution, etc. etc. etc. Because that adds up as well.

But then again, you might just go back to square one after dschool with all that stress and studying. Hah...

Hrmmmmm

i got it before i started dental school in 2005. no problems at all; best $3K i ever spent.

I got LASIK as well prior to dental school, no problems. However, a buddy optometrist of mine has mentioned a few studies where professional and higher education students (MS, PhD) have more problems with eyesight due to all the hours of studying, stress, etc.

Might sound kinda crazy, but my vision is horrible (-4.25 diopter both eyes). I wear contacts most every day, but sometimes my eyes get tired from focusing so closely on items. I find it very handy to just be able to take off my glasses (when I wear them) and look at the item super close with my ciliary muscles relaxed. It's kind of handy in a way because I can relax my eyes while looking at something very close up even though I should be having to strain. I am very myopic.

Might sound kinda crazy, but my vision is horrible (-4.25 diopter both eyes). I wear contacts most every day, but sometimes my eyes get tired from focusing so closely on items. I find it very handy to just be able to take off my glasses (when I wear them) and look at the item super close with my ciliary muscles relaxed. It's kind of handy in a way because I can relax my eyes while looking at something very close up even though I should be having to strain. I am very myopic.
oh that's not too bad...I had -7.5 and -8 before I had lasik.

Even though it obviously made a huge difference for me, I'm not sure it was worth it. Wearing glasses is really not that big of a deal in retrospect. I haven't had any issues though, and I think most people you ask will say it is worth it though.

As far as what effect it has on dentistry, I couldn't really say too much other than that it's nice to not have to get prescription loupes. Just go see your optometrist and see what your options are... Especially since your vision is not that bad at all, the surgery shouldn't be too rough. However, I think the biggest factor is your corneal thickness which they will have to check.

I am near sighted, with a prescription of about -2.00. So, I need glasses most of the time, which is a hassle. I was considering getting Lasik surgery before starting dental school. However, is it not worth the risk? I really rather have perfect vision without the use of glasses and everything, and I think Lasik would be the answer. But, do the cons outweigh the pros with Lasik, especially as future dentist?

-2.00 is nothing :p I honestly don't think I'd take the risk or the expense if I were -2.00. I'm -4.5/5.5 and I'm still leary. I know the risk is rather small, but dry eye and permanent hyperphotosensitivity doesn't really sound like a pleasant experience.

Contacts + Loupes or Glasses + Loupes give me adequate visual acuity, so why risk anything? My opinion is that every year I wait, the surgery gets better and cheaper, and surgeons get more experience with the procedure. So why rush into it?

Contacts, for me, are ~250$ a year, exam included. A pair of glasses... we'll see, but I'm getting a new pair in 2 weeks or so, after using the same 500$ pair for 5 years, so 100$ a year. In terms of $, that's quite a lot of years before Lasik pays for itself :p

Edit: Didn't factor contact solution into the mix. Let's say 1 big bottle a month - I think it's actually less, but whatever. Tack on another 120$/year for contacts D: