Last graduate class! What should it be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you take?

• Stem Cell Biology

• Emerging Infectious Diseases

Results are only viewable after voting.

dr_axolotl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can take one more course in my Master's program before medical school. I am deciding between Emerging Infectious Diseases or Stem Cell Biology. For current osteopathic medical students, which would you take, and why?

1. Emerging Infectious Diseases description:
This course focuses on emerging infectious diseases from many different perspectives. The maladies addressed range from diseases that have reappeared in altered genetic forms, such as the influenza virus and the West Nile virus, to the lethal hemorrhagic fever caused by the Ebola virus. Also discussed is the threat of recombinant and ancient infectious agents such as Bacillus anthracis, causative agent of anthrax, which can be used in biological warfare weapons. Opinions from noted scientists and leaders concerning emerging diseases and the prospects for battling them successfully provide scientific and social perspective.

2. Stem Cell Biology description:
This course will involve discussion and debate on current topics concerning stem cell biology and the use of stem cells in biotechnology and therapeutics. Topics will include review and discussion of developmental and cell biology, stem cell characteristics, stem cell preparation and therapeutic uses, tissue engineering, global regulatory and ethical issues, and commercialization of stem cell therapy. Current peer-reviewed literature and guest experts in the field will provide up to date information for discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the infectious disease. Microbiology is the heaviest tested topic in the boards.

Reactions: 1 users
@AlbinoHawk DO , are you sure that's true? For the USMLE, at least, i thought PATH was the most highly tested, and besides that, most people say all you eed is Sketchy to do well on the micro section of boards

Members don't see this ad :)
@AlbinoHawk DO , are you sure that's true? For the USMLE, at least, i thought PATH was the most highly tested, and besides that, most people say all you eed is Sketchy to do well on the micro section of boards
If it's path, then micro is #2. You can rely on Sketchy if that does it for you. The only Q-Bank I've played with so far is Kaplan. I found Sketchy lacking a bit for Bacteria but pretty spot on for viruses, parasites and fungi.

I don't think OP will remember either the infectious disease class or the stem cell enough in time for boards. The purpose here would be to get a first pass so that re-learning for boards is easier, and that is better for a topic that is more heavily tested.

Stem cell biology just isn't that high yield and you'll probably never use it. Emerging infectious disease could be solid tho.

Sketchy doesn't work for everyone. And I'd say they're both damn near as important, as much of the path is related to the micro. You can't have one without the other on many of the questions, as they'll be structured like: "Patient has [symptoms]. Vitals and labs were [values]. A blood smear showed [findings]. Patient has [risk factors and comorbidities]. What [enzyme or structural component] is produced by the bacteria in question that makes it resistant to [treatment]?

Often that path will be key to identifying the microbe, or knowing the characteristics of the microbe will be key to determining what path findings would be present. They're very tightly intertwined, and, while Sketchy is good, don't count on it to be your sole source for micro by a long shot.

Sketchy doesn't work for everyone. And I'd say they're both damn near as important, as much of the path is related to the micro. You can't have one without the other on many of the questions, as they'll be structured like: "Patient has [symptoms]. Vitals and labs were [values]. A blood smear showed [findings]. Patient has [risk factors and comorbidities]. What [enzyme or structural component] is produced by the bacteria in question that makes it resistant to [treatment]?

Often that path will be key to identifying the microbe, or knowing the characteristics of the microbe will be key to determining what path findings would be present. They're very tightly intertwined, and, while Sketchy is good, don't count on it to be your sole source for micro by a long shot.

Hey! Thanks for the insight. If I already use/have made anki flashcards off of SketchyMedical, what would you suggest I use for micro?

Hey! Thanks for the insight. If I already use/have made anki flashcards off of SketchyMedical, what would you suggest I use for micro?
Still figuring it out myself. I've just found that a lot of the nitty-gritty questions on Kaplan aren't fully explored by sketchy. Strangely enough, I've had a hell of a good time playing Microbe Invader online, and it's helped me a good deal. Also using some premade microcards, whatever little bits I can glean from Goljan, and Kaplan.

It's interesting this just came up. I was doing a qbank question that describe a catalase positive UTI with everything sounding like p mirabilis, but sketchy has Pm as catalase negative. It was sketchy that was wrong. Same goes with bordatella not being classified as oxidase positive. Be careful when using sketchy as the only source.

Reactions: 1 user
Still figuring it out myself. I've just found that a lot of the nitty-gritty questions on Kaplan aren't fully explored by sketchy. Strangely enough, I've had a hell of a good time playing Microbe Invader online, and it's helped me a good deal. Also using some premade microcards, whatever little bits I can glean from Goljan, and Kaplan.
MJ,
From all of the sources I've gathered, Kaplan Qs are very minutiae. Several users have complained that it isn't remotely similar in material or format. Moreover, they focus on so much information that is rarely ever tested, if at all. I wouldn't be stressed out by those questions and focus on more high yield topics which already are covered by sketchy. However, like Albino said, you need to make sure all of the info are correct. UWorld is best question bank out there. Are you saving it for dedicated study?

Emerging infectious diseases sounds dope as hell

I chose Emerging Infectious Diseases. Thanks all!

I wouldn't take either.

I mean, you are already accepted, right? Enjoy your life now. This is not a cliche statement. Trust me.