Last letter not in and its 12/1!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych for path

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooo is my application ruined if my 3rd letter of recommendation misses the deadline? Because its the 1st, and they're not in :mad:

On another note, anyone have any thoughts about schools that aren't due yet but say they start "reviewing" on the 1st (obviously that means Monday). Do you think my chances will be hurt that I won't be among the first set of applicants reviewed because of this one letter missing?

Just when you think you can feel some relief....

Members don't see this ad.

This is happening to me right now as well, and this letter writer even has an assistant who manages the recommendation process for him.

I do think most schools will give a little wiggle room on the letter's since they are aware of what their peers are like :) and that it's out of our hand. I think someone who made calls to all the offices on a previous thread when this was happening to them said most didn't have a problem with it. At the same time, I can't imagine at least a couple programs looking for an excuse to narrow the pile a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have applied to top tier programs like UNC or Boston University, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As someone that has applied multiple times, I have definitely had letters come in after the deadline. Pretty much all of the programs I've applied to give a bit of wiggle room with things like that--even for GRE scores and transcripts. Most of them say things like "as long as your application is in" they are ok with a few late things. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, however.

Also, I don't think it will hurt your application if it is not reviewed first. As long as they review your application, that's all that matters! Good luck!

GAH. Boston is one of my programs, allbeit a stretch even with the rec letters in on time. I am still holding out hope that they will submit by 11:59. I can't believe I picked TWO letter writers who apparently like to wait until the last minute...

Have you called your letter writers to follow up? "Pestering" is appropriate at this point in the process. Many schools will be flexible, but some may not, and a missing letter would be a lousy reason to lose out on one of your favorite programs.

I emailed both of the letter writers on Thursday and they both said all their letters would make it in by deadline (10 different programs due today, Sun. and Mon.), at which time one of the writers actually uploaded a letter, but only to only ONE of my schools...and that one has a deadline of 12/15... :confused:

If they still haven't done anything by 4 or 5 tonight I will probably send another email reminder stating the programs that are due this weekend...blah

What happens if your referee doesn't submit your reference on time? I've applied to a Masters program that gets 30-40 applications. I know this is a Psy.D/PhD forum but it's a general question that could be applied to any program. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Edit: it's also a form that gets submitted electronically, so it wouldn't have gotten lost in the mail.

Last edited:
There is already a thread on here about rec letters, from earlier today...

Just realized that, the topic didn't catch my attention at first. Can't figure out how to delete this one.

I emailed both of the letter writers on Thursday and they both said all their letters would make it in by deadline (10 different programs due today, Sun. and Mon.), at which time one of the writers actually uploaded a letter, but only to only ONE of my schools...and that one has a deadline of 12/15... :confused:

If they still haven't done anything by 4 or 5 tonight I will probably send another email reminder stating the programs that are due this weekend...blah

I feel your pain. I was in the same boat - I emailed my letter writer Thursday night and thankfully on Friday she submitted them all. However, given that you communicated with them on Thursday, my best guess that you'll be okay. Having said that I would definetely send an email as well at some point in the early evening.

Good news -- one of my letter writers is submitting as we speak. I feel like I'm cheering him on from behind my computer as each letter is submitted....feeling somewhat better, although hoping I didn't annoy him too much...

Same here! Phew- glad for both of us...same concern though, I know I was annoying. However, I kind of feel that if they decide to wait until 5 hours before the deadline to do them, the must expect/be used to pestering as the deadline approaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Phew- glad for both of us...same concern though, I know I was annoying. However, I kind of feel that if they decide to wait until 5 hours before the deadline to do them, the must expect/be used to pestering as the deadline approaches.

That's true...I mean, our futures are at stake, here! They can't expect us not to get a little hyper.

The other prof is someone I am far less worried about. I know her well and she's a little on the disorganized side, but just had class with her on Thurs and I highly doubt she would not submit at some point today. She's also someone I can text if things get really out of hand and it's like 10PM with no word from her...

Note to self: if it ever comes down to it again, maybe somehow find better criteria for picking future LOR writers?

Nothing but crickets from mine.

Lesson for the future: Always ask for one more letter than you actually need.

I can relate. One of my mine just submitted a few minutes ago! (after nagging him multiple times)

Nothing but crickets from mine.

Lesson for the future: Always ask for one more letter than you actually need.

That's what I did. Except for this app it was all online and I had to provide two names up front (and couldn't change them afterwards). The school sent them the electronic forms, etc.

Sucks that some of us are in this situation. I know my reference definitely won't be submitted on time now. Hopefully the schools won't mind since it is out of our control. Good luck to you all.

I'm in a similar boat -- because of the hurricane, I was unable to request transcripts as early as I would have liked. The bigger schools like Ohio and Drexel seem to take forever to process the transcripts they receive, so I have no way of even knowing if mine were received or lost. Right now they are saying they got nothing. :|

I'm in a similar boat -- because of the hurricane, I was unable to request transcripts as early as I would have liked. The bigger schools like Ohio and Drexel seem to take forever to process the transcripts they receive, so I have no way of even knowing if mine were received or lost. Right now they are saying they got nothing. :|

Hmm, yeah. I sent mine right around the same time as the hurricane, but I doubt it would have mattered since I'm in the midwest. Many schools have gotten them, but Florida State is still listing them as "not received," which made me worried about other schools not having the transcripts, even though I sent them over a month ago.

Do you know what you're going to do? Just wait until something shows up online, or call them and ask? I know my undergrad institution can send "e-transcripts," which are official electronic transcripts...I wonder if any schools would take that this late in the game?

I tried to do everything so early to avoid this stress!! Can't wait until this process is over...hopefully it will be after this application season because another time around might drive me crazy...

Hmm, yeah. I sent mine right around the same time as the hurricane, but I doubt it would have mattered since I'm in the midwest. Many schools have gotten them, but Florida State is still listing them as "not received," which made me worried about other schools not having the transcripts, even though I sent them over a month ago.

Do you know what you're going to do? Just wait until something shows up online, or call them and ask? I know my undergrad institution can send "e-transcripts," which are official electronic transcripts...I wonder if any schools would take that this late in the game?

I tried to do everything so early to avoid this stress!! Can't wait until this process is over...hopefully it will be after this application season because another time around might drive me crazy...

I sent mine to Florida state the 1st and 2nd weeks of November and mine have been entered into the system for a while now... Ohio state still shows they haven't been received even though I sent them at the same time. Its only been a few days past the 15 business day mark so hopefully it'll show up soon. I sent an e-mail asking if that would get my app thrown out or hurt it, but I don't expect a reply until Monday.

I sent mine to Florida state the 1st and 2nd weeks of November and mine have been entered into the system for a while now... Ohio state still shows they haven't been received even though I sent them at the same time. Its only been a few days past the 15 business day mark so hopefully it'll show up soon. I sent an e-mail asking if that would get my app thrown out or hurt it, but I don't expect a reply until Monday.

I know social psych programs are forgiving about this kind of stuff (boyfriend's in a program now)...no idea about clinical. I guess I will be contacting admissions offices this week as well because it looks like FSU likely doesn't have my transcript! I can show them the confirmation email I received in late October that shows I had it mailed directly from the registrar's office..must have gotten lost..? Blah.

Unless you have applied to top tier programs like UNC or Boston University, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As someone that has applied multiple times, I have definitely had letters come in after the deadline. Pretty much all of the programs I've applied to give a bit of wiggle room with things like that--even for GRE scores and transcripts. Most of them say things like "as long as your application is in" they are ok with a few late things. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, however.

Also, I don't think it will hurt your application if it is not reviewed first. As long as they review your application, that's all that matters! Good luck!

Agreed with the bolded part. It may not apply to all schools but the ones I've spoken to, said something along those lines: Make sure you've submitted your acutal application (which for 99% of the programs is the online part) and you should be good to go. They know that the letters are out of your control, and in regards to trasncripts and GRE scores, they're often okay using unofficial copies to review your application and only ask for official ones ones they invite your for an interview/accept you into their program.

I am having similar issues with Ohio State, though it's been only a week since they received my documents. The application status still shows they do not have anything, not even the psychology dept. application. It seems their admissions dept. is quite overloaded

I know social psych programs are forgiving about this kind of stuff (boyfriend's in a program now)...no idea about clinical. I guess I will be contacting admissions offices this week as well because it looks like FSU likely doesn't have my transcript! I can show them the confirmation email I received in late October that shows I had it mailed directly from the registrar's office..must have gotten lost..? Blah.

It might have been lost. I really do not trust the post office anymore after they lost 2 of my transcripts (both sent certified). What I wish I had done was sent everything to myself and then FedEx to each school. Now what I am doing is getting extra copies sent to me so that I can overnight if necessary. You should do this too. Don't trust the post office!

GAH. Boston is one of my programs, allbeit a stretch even with the rec letters in on time. I am still holding out hope that they will submit by 11:59. I can't believe I picked TWO letter writers who apparently like to wait until the last minute...

Don't worry about it. I had this happen with a top-ranked program, so quality of the institution isn't related to how understanding admissions officers are. I didn't bother e-mailing the admissions office because the deadline IS -2 days ago. I called the admissions office, explained the situation, and they were surprisingly accommodating. I don't think they had the heart to tell me I spent so much time on the app for nothing:p

I suggest that you contact the admissions advisor asap and discuss this with him or her. This can be either the advisor in graduate college or in the department you are applying to. This is what I did when I realized my undergraduate (in another country) mailed the transcripts for me late.

I'm calling each graduate school individually because this is just crazy. So far, 4 schools have told me my transcript was not in yet. After calling, 3 of those schools "found" my transcript. I guess it's just a matter of going through all those hundreds of documents that are coming in...it probably would have been found eventually, but I'm glad to know that my files at these programs are complete now in case schools start reviewing soon!

I'm calling each graduate school individually because this is just crazy. So far, 4 schools have told me my transcript was not in yet. After calling, 3 of those schools "found" my transcript. I guess it's just a matter of going through all those hundreds of documents that are coming in...it probably would have been found eventually, but I'm glad to know that my files at these programs are complete now in case schools start reviewing soon!

Don't be too worried. I called all but 2 of mine and all of them found my transcript and GRE scores within 5 minutes of the conversation. Just call them to make sure.

Just FYI for Ohio State applicants. One of my transcripts that I sent in the first week of November just now showed up as completed. Hopefully my other one will follow suit. I never got an e-mail back about my concerns.