Last minute letter of recommendation request cancelled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndoP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked a science professor at the last day of her class last Spring semester for a letter. I told her i'll send her pertinent info, like my transcripts and personal statement, to help her write one. She emailed me back saying that's ok and she'd be waiting for those documents. A month ago I emailed her apologizing for the delay of providing her the documents and my reasons (busy shadowing 5 dentists, studying for the DATs, filling out the application, etc). Just yesterday she emailed me saying she has accepted a faculty position at a different university and that she's no longer in a position to write one. I know she can still write one because I have professor that is writing me one who has left the university she taught me in years ago, and another science professor that is even retiring after this summer, but still agreed to write me one. It's clear to me she's only using her new employment as an excuse to not write me one. What would you do in this situation? Write her back politely telling her that she's bsing? Ignore and find another science professor? I was thinking to finish up my personal statement and send it to her regardless, with a message saying that she can choose to read it and change her mind or ignore it (i'll state those in a much better way of course). I rather not find a new science professor because there really isn't one i can ask other than someone who taught me a year ago. But i also am unhappy with this professor's attitude and rather ask someone else, so I'm basically torn. Please advise.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If it was me, I would try to find another person to write a letter. I feel like the people writing your letters should be excited and willing to write them. Their attitude towards writing them will show through.

As far as her telling you she would write it and then backing out, that stinks!!

Your choices are limited. I would try to find another professor to write it. If that's not an option then you can try politely asking again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be the Snark Princess, but it's interesting to note that 1) you asked a professor on the last day of class for a LOR at the end of the spring semester -- which is the end of the academic year -- and then 2) did not get the pertinent info you promised to send her until a full month later ("because I was just so darn busy!"). And then, quell surprise, she's leaving for another school and can no longer provide you a LOR. And how do you know for sure that she can "still write one" based on another person and another person's circumstances? Sounds like an attitude adjustment on your part would be helpful. Professors can pretty much do what they want, and yes, that means changing their mind after the fact. Go find someone else and good luck with that.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for all the replies. I do realize I didn't handle it well with this professor from the point of asking her for a rec at the end of the semester. My gut did tell me to just ask someone else like others have said. Thanks again

Posted using SDN Mobile

i hope that everything works out for you - asking for letters of recommendation is a painful thing to go through.

I asked a science professor at the last day of her class last Spring semester for a letter. I told her i'll send her pertinent info, like my transcripts and personal statement, to help her write one. She emailed me back saying that's ok and she'd be waiting for those documents. A month ago I emailed her apologizing for the delay of providing her the documents and my reasons (busy shadowing 5 dentists, studying for the DATs, filling out the application, etc). Just yesterday she emailed me saying she has accepted a faculty position at a different university and that she's no longer in a position to write one. I know she can still write one because I have professor that is writing me one who has left the university she taught me in years ago, and another science professor that is even retiring after this summer, but still agreed to write me one. It's clear to me she's only using her new employment as an excuse to not write me one. What would you do in this situation? Write her back politely telling her that she's bsing? Ignore and find another science professor? I was thinking to finish up my personal statement and send it to her regardless, with a message saying that she can choose to read it and change her mind or ignore it (i'll state those in a much better way of course). I rather not find a new science professor because there really isn't one i can ask other than someone who taught me a year ago. But i also am unhappy with this professor's attitude and rather ask someone else, so I'm basically torn. Please advise.

Having trouble with the definition of "no" or is it that you feel that your ps will impress her so much, she will beg to write one for you? She certainly could make a comment or two about your timeliness.

Having trouble with the definition of "no" or is it that you feel that your ps will impress her so much, she will beg to write one for you? She certainly could make a comment or two about your timeliness.
doc, you rescinded your "like" on niara's post! sup widdat? Couldn't resist delivering the KO yourself?

Writing a letter of recommendation practically does nothing to help the person writing it. They're doing it usually out of sole goodness.

Someone is trying to help you and you delay the process. So she gave you the big F U, and i agree with her.

All you had to do is send her transcripts and your PS, (which should have been done already if you were responsible)

"I'm so darn busy I don't have time to run to the school regristrar for five minutes to request transcripts or to sit down and write an essay!"

doc, you rescinded your "like" on niara's post! sup widdat? Couldn't resist delivering the KO yourself?
Actually no. The "you" appeared in a blind spot. But, then there were a few blanks that remained unfilled, not to mention that he remained clueless after the posts. Nice of you to notice.

Last edited: