Last minute online biochem or no dream school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NativeNonTrad08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted on here once before, I'm more of a lurker, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area. I am a non-traditional student who recently received an admissions offer to my dream school. I was fairly certain that it was a longshot but I thought, what the heck? I'm beyond thrilled but the school requires biochem, online is okay, as a prerequisite before matriculation this summer. I understand that should have prepared myself with a biochem but long story short I didn't :sour: None of the 18 schools I applied to, save for one, required the course. I have looked throughout sdn for online biochem recommendations but reviews are conflicting. My only requirements are that they be from an accredited school and largely self-driven. It should be noted that I elected to take a few months off from everything before school starts so I have the time, it's just been a few years since I've taken a hardcore science course. I have looked at UNE-COM, OSU and UC Berkeley extension. If you have taken these or others I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

U Toronto's online biochem was apparently the gold standard when i was looking into this around 2010. but i didn't end up doing it.

U Toronto's online biochem was apparently the gold standard when i was looking into this around 2010. but i didn't end up doing it.
Thanks for the reply! Do you mind me asking what you did instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I believe Oregon State is on the Quarter system, so you'd probably have to take Biochem 1 & 2 to fulfill the requirement. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Berkeley one. UNE sounds rough, but if all you need is a 'C', then it's your best bet. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/unes-new-medical-biochemistry-course-online.1040946/page-2
This post should get you there.
Thank you! I had no idea about the quarter system at OSU and I have also read some pretty bad posts about Berkeley. UNE does sound rough but it's starting to look like the best option so far. I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking a prep class that seems to act like a weed out course. Thanks for the link! I actually haven't read this thread yet.

UF has an online Biochem class I believe.

I kind of wish I took it online. I just took my final today in Biochem, and feel that a B+ is in my future. But I am glad I took it to avoid the situation described above.

Last edited:
I am currently taking biochem from OSU. I really enjoy the professor as he is clear and everything is available in the syllabus day one. Everything is on youtube and if you search for Kevin Ahern you can get a better idea of how he teaches. I looked into all the schools you mentioned and decided on OSU because of the instructor. It is evident that he loves teaching biochem which makes a big difference to me. Also he is incredibly responsive to every email I have sent him. If I had to choose again, I would definitely take it from OSU.

Reactions: 1 users
UNE's biochem isn't horribly difficult, but it is hard enough that I wouldn't recommend doing it in a hurry. Plan on the full 16 weeks if you intend to take it, as it's not something that is often finished on an accelerated timetable. It's a great class, and really, really helped me be prepared for medical school.

UF has an online Biochem class I believe.
Thanks! Yeah I did look into that but the online course runs alongside the same timetable as their semester system so it's way too late for that. I'd have to take a class with a more a flexible schedule.

Thanks! Yeah I did look into that but the online course runs alongside the same timetable as their semester system so it's way too late for that. I'd have to take a class with a more a flexible schedule.
Is your timeframe end of July?

I am currently taking biochem from OSU. I really enjoy the professor as he is clear and everything is available in the syllabus day one. Everything is on youtube and if you search for Kevin Ahern you can get a better idea of how he teaches. I looked into all the schools you mentioned and decided on OSU because of the instructor. It is evident that he loves teaching biochem which makes a big difference to me. Also he is incredibly responsive to every email I have sent him. If I had to choose again, I would definitely take it from OSU.
That's so good to hear! I did watch one of his videos and enjoyed it. I was bummed to see some negative reviews. What kind of timetable are you looking at? Do you feel like the course is preparing you well? Also - how much time are you spending studying per day? Sorry for all the questions - I would love to be able to bang out a course and gain some valuable knowledge too. Part of the reason my school requires biochem is because first year is biochem-heavy. So just getting a C is not really an option.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE's biochem isn't horribly difficult, but it is hard enough that I wouldn't recommend doing it in a hurry. Plan on the full 16 weeks if you intend to take it, as it's not something that is often finished on an accelerated timetable. It's a great class, and really, really helped me be prepared for medical school.
Were you doing anything (working, taking other classes, etc...) in addition to the UNE class when you took it, if you don't mind me asking?

I was working around 30 hours a week, with an extra shift here or there.
Kudos to you. That's pretty impressive. I am grateful to be in a position where I can take a break until school starts so I'm hoping the extra time will help.

Can you call and ask them what they suggest or if they can waive the requirement? Is there a minimum grade requirement?
Unfortunately it's a new requirement that can't be waived and because it's new they haven't received any feedback about online programs yet. I'm actually not sure about the grade requirement - good point! I'll have to ask.

I Googled 'summer online biochemistry' and found these. I might do the UNE one before my SMP starts in July so I don't have to stay there summer 2016. The UCSB looks like it has an open book final. My SMP handbook says minimum acceptable grade for certain prereqs for the MS classes are > than 'C'. Bummer.

Here's some more that are online over the summer:
http://medicine.hsc.wvu.edu/Biochemistry/Education/Undergraduate/BIOC-339-Summer
http://summer.ucsb.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=16565

This one looks like it's non-credit:
http://tulane.edu/som/departments/biochemistry/education/medical-biochemistry-prep-course.cfm

This one is full already:
http://www.online.colostate.edu/courses/BC/BC351.dot

I Googled 'summer online biochemistry' and found these. I might do the UNE one before my SMP starts in July so I don't have to stay there summer 2016. The UCSB looks like it has an open book final. My SMP handbook says minimum acceptable grade for certain prereqs for the MS classes are > than 'C'. Bummer.

Here's some more that are online over the summer:
http://medicine.hsc.wvu.edu/Biochemistry/Education/Undergraduate/BIOC-339-Summer
http://summer.ucsb.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=16565

This one looks like it's non-credit:
http://tulane.edu/som/departments/biochemistry/education/medical-biochemistry-prep-course.cfm

This one is full already:
http://www.online.colostate.edu/courses/BC/BC351.dot

Thanks! I actually haven't seen any of these before. It's a bummer that the UCSB class would end way too late for me - an open book final would have been FANTASTIC. Like you, I'm pretty sure I need > C in this class. I'll definitely look into the WVU class, and it's great that it's accelerated. A couple of weeks of free time before I start med school would be really helpful. By "SMP" do you mean special masters program? If you can, definitely post an update when you choose which class you're taking!

Yes, although I was hoping for a little breather before I dive into the med school :) If I could finish earlier than the end of July I'd be happy, if not I'll deal.
I took the Berkeley class which was okay. However, you have to be in the class for a minimum of one month per credit (the class was three credits), so it takes three months to complete. Not sure about other classes, but you'll probably want to start something ASAP. :)

I took the Berkeley class which was okay. However, you have to be in the class for a minimum of one month per credit (the class was three credits), so it takes three months to complete. Not sure about other classes, but you'll probably want to start something ASAP. :)
Good to know! Yeah I only found out about my acceptance less than a week ago - hence the scramble! Did you like the class?

Good to know! Yeah I only found out about my acceptance less than a week ago - hence the scramble! Did you like the class?
Haha, not particularly... probably 50% because of the content (I dislike chemistry) and 50% because of the format of the class. It was entirely self-taught and I personally would have preferred a lecture format. It was tolerable, however, and didn't take an awful lot of work to do well in (easily doable in 90 days). I don't particularly recommend it, but I do think it's a decent option for a last-minute class.

Haha, not particularly... probably 50% because of the content (I dislike chemistry) and 50% because of the format of the class. It was entirely self-taught and I personally would have preferred a lecture format. It was tolerable, however, and didn't take an awful lot of work to do well in (easily doable in 90 days). I don't particularly recommend it, but I do think it's a decent option for a last-minute class.

Thanks! Was there anything else, other than the self-direction, that you didn't like?

Thanks! Was there anything else, other than the self-direction, that you didn't like?
Well it was the only class I've ever taken online, so this may be normal, but the vast majority of the final grade came from one (proctored) exam. So... that was a bit stressful.

I also thought that the weekly assignments were just busy work -- though they may depend on the instructor? I'm happy to send you a copy of the syllabus we used if that's helpful (just shoot me a mesage).

Oh, and it's technically an "intro" class at Berkeley, so some schools don't count it as fulfilling an upper-level chem requirement. If you're considering it, make sure to check with your admissions office first.

Well it was the only class I've ever taken online, so this may be normal, but the vast majority of the final grade came from one (proctored) exam. So... that was a bit stressful.

I also thought that the weekly assignments were just busy work -- though they may depend on the instructor? I'm happy to send you a copy of the syllabus we used if that's helpful (just shoot me a mesage).

Oh, and it's technically an "intro" class at Berkeley, so some schools don't count it as fulfilling an upper-level chem requirement. If you're considering it, make sure to check with your admissions office first.

Yeah those are pretty understandable reasons. Busy work, especially time-consuming busy work, has always been maddening to me. Thanks for the heads up on the intro level, I hadn't thought about that before. You may have saved me a HUGE headache later!

UCLA extension has a bunch of online courses. I've taken a few courses online in science and math and it's always been a pleasurable experience.
https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/fos/Default.aspx

Look into your local community colleges to see if they have online courses as well.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you for the UCLA recommendation - I'll definitely look into it. Were the courses that you've taken upper-level online science courses? What did you like about them? The community colleges where I live offer a VERY limited number of on-site science courses, mostly lower level. Boo to that!

Kansas State has one that runs to July 31. http://courses.k-state.edu/summer2015/BIOCH/
Too late for me. I found my local state school has a 5 week summer course which I will most likely do, although his RateMyProfessor rating is horrid.
Yeah, there are couple ones out there like that. That date runs dangerously close to orientation time for me as well! I have seen some 5 week local programs and I wonder if that is enough time, for me personally, to tackle such an INTENSE course. I met with my former advisor yesterday and he basically told me that it was a capstone course for everything. GULP! I did well in my prereq classes but that's still intimidating! Ugh, yeah. I find ratemyprofessors to be valuable if you can kind of pick out the bitter students from the reflective ones, if you know what I mean. Of course if a professor is getting consistently low ratings that's always scary to risk. I hope that the class goes well for you despite the terrible ratings!

Yeah, there are couple ones out there like that. That date runs dangerously close to orientation time for me as well! I have seen some 5 week local programs and I wonder if that is enough time, for me personally, to tackle such an INTENSE course. I met with my former advisor yesterday and he basically told me that it was a capstone course for everything. GULP! I did well in my prereq classes but that's still intimidating! Ugh, yeah. I find ratemyprofessors to be valuable if you can kind of pick out the bitter students from the reflective ones, if you know what I mean. Of course if a professor is getting consistently low ratings that's always scary to risk. I hope that the class goes well for you despite the terrible ratings!
I think it isn't a big deal if the program that accepted you said its okay to start as long as you show an 'unofficial' final grade before 1st day of class or w/e. I think they would be willing to work with you like that (i.e. you have to finish before, but the official transcript can be a week or two after starting).

Thank you for the UCLA recommendation - I'll definitely look into it. Were the courses that you've taken upper-level online science courses? What did you like about them? The community colleges where I live offer a VERY limited number of on-site science courses, mostly lower level. Boo to that!

I'm currently doing a lot of pre-med science courses through them, so I started at the bottom and am working my way up. The professors I've had for the courses are always very friendly and reachable. Most of them also teach regular courses at UCLA, too.

That's so good to hear! I did watch one of his videos and enjoyed it. I was bummed to see some negative reviews. What kind of timetable are you looking at? Do you feel like the course is preparing you well? Also - how much time are you spending studying per day? Sorry for all the questions - I would love to be able to bang out a course and gain some valuable knowledge too. Part of the reason my school requires biochem is because first year is biochem-heavy. So just getting a C is not really an option.

I feel like the course is preparing me as much as I put into it. Kevin is a good instructor and along with the syllabus, the online materials he offers are problem solving sessions which he provides links to. Currently I am spending about 2 hours a day studying. I want to learn the information the first time well so I don't have to go back and review again. So it is really my biochem/MCAT prep all in one. All in all I feel I made the best choice as a good instructor can really make or break a class. Good Luck!

I asked Texas A&M if they'd accept the Oregon State biochem and they said yes but to save the email they sent me for my records. I would ask your school but I got an okay for it (just haven't taken it yet...)

Oh man I wish I found this thread when I was signing up, it may have deterred me from taking Berkeley's online biochem.
It is atrocious!! Everyone here is right to say stay away - I'm half way through and the "professor" is nothing of the sort.
Good luck with finding a good one!

Honestly, you just need to pass the class to matriculate right? I'd do whatever is fastest provided you're okay with spending your time off studying. If there's a summer intensive course for biochem, do it. I bet a few colleges have it over their summer sessions. I bet it's not going to be fun, but if it's a means to an end...

I think it isn't a big deal if the program that accepted you said its okay to start as long as you show an 'unofficial' final grade before 1st day of class or w/e. I think they would be willing to work with you like that (i.e. you have to finish before, but the official transcript can be a week or two after starting).
They might, although I'd much rather bang out a course (although who can really bang out biochem) than have it run very close to my start date. Definitely something to look into - thanks! I will be moving for school and would be hesitant to start packing while taking a final. That's multitasking master status!

I feel like the course is preparing me as much as I put into it. Kevin is a good instructor and along with the syllabus, the online materials he offers are problem solving sessions which he provides links to. Currently I am spending about 2 hours a day studying. I want to learn the information the first time well so I don't have to go back and review again. So it is really my biochem/MCAT prep all in one. All in all I feel I made the best choice as a good instructor can really make or break a class. Good Luck!
Wow - that's not that bad at all! Thank you for giving me the rundown.

I asked Texas A&M if they'd accept the Oregon State biochem and they said yes but to save the email they sent me for my records. I would ask your school but I got an okay for it (just haven't taken it yet...)
Yeah, it's a fairly new requirement at my school so they're willing to accept any form, including online, as long as it's from an accredited school. If you can, please post your views of the class during/after you've taken it! It'll be too late for me but I've gained some serious perspective from past threads.

Oh man I wish I found this thread when I was signing up, it may have deterred me from taking Berkeley's online biochem.
It is atrocious!! Everyone here is right to say stay away - I'm half way through and the "professor" is nothing of the sort.
Good luck with finding a good one!
Jeez, I wonder if you're taking it with the same professor that I've seen in reviews. I've heard mixed reviews about that class and the main complaint seems to be with the professor rather than the actual curriculum. Thank you for the review and I hope you have a successful class despite the negatives.

Honestly, you just need to pass the class to matriculate right? I'd do whatever is fastest provided you're okay with spending your time off studying. If there's a summer intensive course for biochem, do it. I bet a few colleges have it over their summer sessions. I bet it's not going to be fun, but if it's a means to an end...
I just checked and I'll need a C to matriculate. A lot lower than I expected, phew! I have looked at some summer intensive courses and I guess the only reason why I'm apprehensive is because I've taken core science courses during summer sessions before and they tend to leave out sections of material due to time constraints. In the end I had to teach myself some MCAT-specific material I'd never learned, so that's why I'm opting for online over a longer period. Then again, I hear that undergrad biochem helps for about a week, haha!

Yeah, honestly if I was in your position I'd do what I needed in order to get that C/C+. Obviously do the best you can, but there's no reason to stress for it like crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
post deleted

Last edited:
Wow, congratulations on your acceptance!!!! I'm enrolled in the OSU Biochem e-campus course beginning this June. I actually attended grad school there on campus (now quite a few years ago...) and loved it. It's a 4 credit (quarter system) class and comes out to a bit over $1,000 and finishes mid-July. Dr. Ahern is extremely enthusiastic and the Biochemistry book is free (you can actually download it from iTunes). It has some pretty hilarious songs about biochem in there too :)
Thank you! Yeah I was trying to figure out if I was correct in that the class starting in June is less than a month long? I could imagine that being a hell of a time crunch but if it's doable that would be verrrrrry nice.

University of Iowa has an online biochem class that is supposed to be pretty decent. I haven't taken it yet, but I've heard few complaints from those who have. The professor was apparently wooed here with something to the tune of $2 million.
Uiowa Biochem summer 2015