Last Minute Optometry Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kater_92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated this May with a health science degree from UWO in Ontario, Canada. I decided this past summer I wanted to try for optometry, but I haven't taken orgo, physics, biochem, microbiology or calculus so I'm taking them all this year. My current GPA is about a 3.7 (but that's all non-science courses minus first year chem and bio, anatomy and physiology). I have no idea how well I'm going to do in these science courses but I'm going to try my best.

My question is this: my first year chem marks were 62 and 66% (before anyone judges and says I suck at science and shouldn't try for optometry, I really did not try at all as I was in my first year and was unmotivated. My other science courses I got 80s). But I should probably redo chem right? I was thinking this summer (if I do well enough this year). Do you think it's okay to do a full year of chem this summer plus study for the OAT and hopefully write it in like August? And then I can apply for 2016? Just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right... Would it be better to write the OAT this summer and then take chemistry during the school year? Or do I need to have chem done before I apply since it's a required course? (and I also don't want them seeing my 62 and 66 from when I took it first year). Thank you for the help! I'm just a bit overwhelmed haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't have to complete all of the prerequisite classes before applying, as long as you will have them finished before you plan on starting Optometry school. The problem is having enough chemistry before taking the OAT. The OAT includes gen chem 1 and 2 plus O-chem 1 and 2. I never took O-chem 2 and still managed to do well on the OAT. You'll have to decide whether or not you can handle taking chemistry while studying for the OAT.

are you applying to Canada or US? Is that 62% and 66% equivalent to a C or a D ? I think you'll be fine if you take your OAT on time, as you said, in August. You don't need to have ALL pre-reqs completed to apply to optometry school, however most applicants have majority of them under the belt, or even have their Bachelors degree. See how you do in your courses and then decide if your science GPA is high enough