Last minute ROL decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ecoastcaligirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the dilemma that's keeping me up at nights. Do I choose:

1. the large, well known program near my family with faculty who I most want to emulate, residents who were nice and interesting but who I didn't get that gut feeling of fitting in with and who are known to be taxed and work extremely hard.

2. the smaller program with less guaranteed fellowship placement but which i got really warm feelings from, and where residents insist they have a life outside residency (even though its across the country from my family and not in my ideal city).

3. another big name program where I thought the residents were the most fun, diverse grp but which also has a hardcore vibe/east coast feel.

I guess it comes down to what is most important - a)fellowship placement opps, 2)having family nearby, 3)who the coresidents are, and/or 4) where people seem the happiest hours wise

Members don't see this ad.

Choose the program at which you think you will not only get the best education and career opportunities, but also, most importantly, the one at which you can positively thrive. Happiness, though underrated, is key. Go with your gut.

Here's the dilemma that's keeping me up at nights. Do I choose:

1. the large, well known program near my family with faculty who I most want to emulate, residents who were nice and interesting but who I didn't get that gut feeling of fitting in with and who are known to be taxed and work extremely hard.

2. the smaller program with less guaranteed fellowship placement but which i got really warm feelings from, and where residents insist they have a life outside residency (even though its across the country from my family and not in my ideal city).

3. another big name program where I thought the residents were the most fun, diverse grp but which also has a hardcore vibe/east coast feel.

I guess it comes down to what is most important - a)fellowship placement opps, 2)having family nearby, 3)who the coresidents are, and/or 4) where people seem the happiest hours wise

i'm in the same boat with your number one and number two....i think i just might go for the community program...might be suicide if i want a fellowship...but it just seems like a nice fit for me...can't explain it...the thought of me matching there gives me warm fuzzies...kinda like finding the "one" you're going to marry!

Heres the thing. Family and friends (cool residents) are damn important and will get you through residency right? So youre lucky that you get one or the other at your top two. That being said why not put the spot with more fellowship options first? Maximize your potential and then just let fate decide. :cool: