Last Minute UCSF Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

its1louder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's coming down to the wire here, but maybe a current UCSF resident or two can help me out. Feel free to PM or respond here. Here's where I'm at: got a really good feel on the interview day, training seemed solid, and the residents I talked to seemed very happy. I love SF, and its hard to get better in reputation than UCSF. That being said, I'm having a hard time reconciling all of that with some less-than-savory posts on scutwork. For example, the PD on the interview day showed a graph breaking down work hours by year. It was just about 55/wk for each year. However, the experiences shared on the website seem to be significantly different. I guess what I'm trying to piece apart is whether these are the opinions of a vocal dissatisfied few or if that's more the rule than the exception. Do they just do a good job putting up the facade on interview day or is the positivity actually a good indication of what its like? Would love to hear any other current resident's opinions. Some other questions: it's no secret that the UC system isn't swimming in money. Is that affecting UCSF in terms of patient care or attending/resident satisfaction? Has there been any recent change in the relief system (ie hiring CRNAs)? Any other general comments also appreciated. Again, feel free to PM. I know it's late in the game, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should forget about the work hours issue. More, more, more cases is better in my opinion. There are residents on this board that suggest certain cases after hours aren't resident-worthy, education-value, whatever. I personally think that is wrongheaded. The way you get confident, solid and efficient is by doing a ton of cases. Late "easy" cases often means a LOT more autonomy, trying cool stuff you've never done, etc. I think there is a very strong argument for maximizing hours in the OR. Just my opinion. I've been on staff at boutique residency programs where residents don't work tons of B&B cases. They simply aren't as solid right out of residency IMHO. UCSF is great training--certainly used to be.

I guess the work hour thing wasn't a huge issue per se, but just an example of possible discrepancies that I noticed. Perhaps it wasn't the best example. What I'm really interested in is resident satisfaction, which has a very loose (if any) association with work hours. I've definitely seen places where residents work like dogs but love every second of it. My main concern was the thought that, if I got the wrong impression on the interview day about some of the details, then maybe I got the wrong impression of the bigger picture. I got a bunch of really helpful PMs however, so lot of thanks for those who messaged. They certainly reaffirmed the feel I got on the interview day.

they say last minute changes to your ROL are often regretted, especially at the top of your list, so stick with your original hunches i'd say. doubt always creeps in