Last month for an away rotation with Letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirRad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a feel for the last month I could perform an away rotation and still get a letter to use in my application?

The away rad onc rotation would end Sept 25th. Is that too late to get and then submit a LOR from that rotation to use for my rad onc application?

I believe I've heard most programs won't even look at applications until after ASTRO? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you and have heard recommendations from September rotations should make it in time to be considered (I guess assuming the writer doesn't take too long to write / submit it).

I applied last year and my only away rotation LOR was from the away I did in September, and it was definitely received in time for full consideration. As a caveat, my letter writer completed it within a couple days (before Oct. 1).

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. I had a letter come in late september as well. Unsure if it hurt me or not but I do remember some places sending out invites early but it wasn't a significant number. Look at the google doc for the dates invites were sent out. Just make sure you have some letters in by ERAS submission or around then.

You should be fine. I had a letter come in late september as well. Unsure if it hurt me or not but I do remember some places sending out invites early but it wasn't a significant number. Look at the google doc for the dates invites were sent out. Just make sure you have some letters in by ERAS submission or around then.

I can understand if the letter comes in before Oct 1, then it should be fine since MSPEs don't get uploaded till then anyway. But for people rotating through late Sept, what's the usual soft deadline by which letters should be submitted? For instance, I'm working with the faculty I'm most interested in on the last week of my rotation in late Sept and I feel I can't ask him to write a letter in 1 week... If my application is complete (i.e. with 3 letters already), would programs go back to download the 4th letter if it's submitted say in mid-Oct?

at the majority of places the letter automatically downloads because the programs have it set up to auto-update

BUT you could always email program coordinators to update them that a letter has been added and make sure it gets added to the file. not a big deal at all.

Just wanted to get a feel for the last month I could perform an away rotation and still get a letter to use in my application?

The away rad onc rotation would end Sept 25th. Is that too late to get and then submit a LOR from that rotation to use for my rad onc application?

I believe I've heard most programs won't even look at applications until after ASTRO? Thoughts?

Late September should be fine. Anytime in October you may be pushing it. A lot depends on your personality and the peace of mind you get from your application being "finished." I personally didn't feel like updating all the million programs I applied to that I had a new letter (even though it supposedly updates automatically). I had the opportunity to get a letter from my last rotation that ended in mid October and just notified the program director why I wasn't asking for one. It was fine and I ended up matching there. I don't think it hurt my chances elsewhere, either.