Last Name Marriage Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girfaroo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for this specific issue in the forums but came up blank.

I'm getting married after med school graduation and before orientation/residency begins. I am attached to my last name but my future husband wants his in there somewhere. I was wondering if this scenario is possible:

Turn my name from FirstName NoMiddleName LastName to FirstName NoMiddleName MaidenName MarriedName. I don't want to make my maiden name my middle name. I don't want a hyphen either.

Really, this is because I would like to go by Dr. MaidenName professionally (after all, that's what I'll graduate as) but Mrs. MarriedName socially/to my future kids' friends/etc. Is this possible? I have seen married female doctors with hyphenated last names go by just the first part of their last name professionally (Dr. T-M going by Dr. T), but I've never encountered anyone with a double last name like this.

I wouldn't have to introduce myself as Dr. MaidenName MarriedName to patients all the time, right?

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly what I've done (married 7 years, was 7 yr a PA before we were married.) I didn't want to change it at all but gave in to gentle pressure and puppy-eyes guilt.
That said, I have NEVER used my husband's name professionally and don't intend to. For legal reasons with state licensing boards etc I'm required to have my full name on the license but it's not too hard for patients and colleagues to remember I answer to FirstName MiddleName. Doing the same for my med school graduation and physician licensing. No big deal.
Congrats on your marriage!!

there are plenty of people that go by Dr. MaidenName and Mrs. MarriedName.

legally you may have to go by First name MaidenName to keep things legit(that i'm not sure of) but you can call yourself whatever you want.

there are plenty of people that go by Dr. MaidenName and Mrs. MarriedName.

legally you may have to go by First name MaidenName to keep things legit(that i'm not sure of) but you can call yourself whatever you want.
This. If you legally change your name, you'll have to explain to employers/patients/medical board that you go by something different. On the other hand, just having everyone outside of work calling you by your married name doesn't require any governmental intervention.

My wife kept her name, both personally and professionally, and yet STILL gets called by my last name more often than not when meeting new people so that part will be easy for you.