Late admission question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am not asking whether or not I should or shouldn't apply late (instead of waiting until the next cycle), because I have already received many opinions on that.

I am just asking if anyone on here applied late in-state and still got in with VERY strong points on their application including (doesn't have to be exactly the same)...
-GPA > 3.9
-Very good/personal letters of rec coming from good sources
-LOTS of activities and volunteering (shadowing, sports, honors, clubs, graduating in upper 10% of class, etc)
-Only about an average (or less than average) MCAT score

Basically, I am applying this cycle and one of my schools is in-state. My application is extremely strong EXCEPT that it is late and I also will not know my MCAT score until after my application is in (I am predicting it to be around the average for the in-state school, but we all know there really is no knowing)

Just wonder if anyone here had a similar experience (or knows someone that did) and did or did not get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wonder if anyone here had a similar experience (or knows someone that did) and did or did not get in.

Plenty of people have had similar situations and have not gotten in, and plenty have gotten in. That has no real bearing on your application though.

Plenty of people have had similar situations and have not gotten in, and plenty have gotten in. That has no real bearing on your application though.
Yeah, I agree. It just sometimes helps me (coping with stress at least) when I can talk to someone that has experienced something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
It didn't work out for me last year.

Yeah, I agree. It just sometimes helps me (coping with stress at least) when I can talk to someone that has experienced something similar.

For me - yes to all, except that my MCAT was strong. I applied late, had 4 interviews, 4 waitlists, then got into 1 school (an OOS state school, actually) off the waitlist. My state school waitlisted me then didn't tell me anything else at all, although based on SDN there was virtually no waitlist movement anyhow.

Applied last year late with reasonable stats and no IIs. This year with an early application + new ECS, I have had better luck.

PS: Great GPA and an okay MCAT (29-31) is still an uphill battle with a late app.

Applied last year late with reasonable stats and no IIs. This year with an early application + new ECS, I have had better luck.

PS: Great GPA and an okay MCAT (29-31) is still an uphill battle with a late app.
Did you apply in state? Also, do you think being a re-applicant significantly hinders your chances? I have heard different opinions.

For me - yes to all, except that my MCAT was strong. I applied late, had 4 interviews, 4 waitlists, then got into 1 school (an OOS state school, actually) off the waitlist. My state school waitlisted me then didn't tell me anything else at all, although based on SDN there was virtually no waitlist movement anyhow.
How late did you apply? How many weeks before the deadine?

I wasn't verified until mid September of last year and had no IIs. I have a high GPA and a 32 MCAT.

This year I have 5 already. Apply if you want, but don't be upset when you have to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
How late did you apply? How many weeks before the deadine?
AMCAS submitted 9/16, verified 10/24, received secondary 10/24, complete at Downstate 11/4, deadline was 12/1

Did you apply in state? Also, do you think being a re-applicant significantly hinders your chances? I have heard different opinions.

Yes, I applied in-state and to some OOS schools.

Every school is different, so I'm sure they evaluate people differently. However, it is very important to improve your application. My state schools have showed me no love, which is very disappointing. But, the private schools seem to be more open-minded and forgiving. It is a damn shame that some schools view reapplicants negatively, since so many "competitive" applicants fail to get into med school each year due to lack of spots.

I wasn't verified until mid September of last year and had no IIs. I have a high GPA and a 32 MCAT.

This year I have 5 already. Apply if you want, but don't be upset when you have to reapply.
THIS.
I wasn't verified until October last year and received nothing but "holds" and pre-interview rejections. It was a terrible year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified in October last year, interviewed at my state school in November. Rejected. 29mcat, 3.89 gpa.

Yea, naturally I will be upset if rejected, however I am realistic in realizing that my chances are not that high. Regardless, I am prepared to reapply if needed. But it seems being a re-applicant didn't really effect your chances when you reapplied early (correct me if I am wrong).

Yes, I applied in-state and to some OOS schools.

Every school is different, so I'm sure they evaluate people differently. However, it is very important to improve your application. My state schools have showed me no love, which is very disappointing. But, the private schools seem to be more open-minded and forgiving. It is a damn shame that some schools view reapplicants negatively, since so many "competitive" applicants fail to get into med school each year due to lack of spots.
Fortunately, I do have some very strong points specifically for the in-state school I wish to attend. The school places a heavy emphasis on research, and having a degree in behavioral neuroscience (which I attained in May) is very "research" heavy. I also completed an honors thesis that I am currently trying to get published, and have been a research assistant at the brain imaging center of the very in-state school I am applying to for about 3 years now. Hopefully those things will make me stand out...

Also the school just received a $13 million grant towards building a new wing of the hospital specifically for teaching purposes, so hopefully that will help too ;)

STILL I am very aware of the realities of possibly being rejected.

Also does anyone know if there is some kind of chart provided by AAMC that shows time of application submission and percent admitted that is like the one that shows percentage of applicants admitted with a specific GPA and MCAT?

Fortunately, I do have some very strong points specifically for the in-state school I wish to attend. The school places a heavy emphasis on research, and having a degree in behavioral neuroscience (which I attained in May) is very "research" heavy. I also completed an honors thesis that I am currently trying to get published, and have been a research assistant at the brain imaging center of the very in-state school I am applying to for about 3 years now. Hopefully those things will make me stand out...

Also the school just received a $13 million grant towards building a new wing of the hospital specifically for teaching purposes, so hopefully that will help too ;)

STILL I am very aware of the realities of possibly being rejected.
Research is important, but it is more of a bonus than a requirement. The MCAT and GPA are way more important, and not to mention actual patient interaction that shows/proves why you want to be a doctor. You research experience will help you I'm sure, but only if your MCAT score is good enough to be considered. If you score a 32+, I think you might snag an II with a later application, but even then it is risky, since you could potentially be waitlisted with a later interview. Looks like you have made up your mind and applied, so I will wish you luck! Let us know how it goes :)

Research is important, but it is more of a bonus than a requirement. The MCAT and GPA are way more important, and not to mention actual patient interaction that shows/proves why you want to be a doctor. You research experience will help you I'm sure, but only if your MCAT score is good enough to be considered. If you score a 32+, I think you might snag an II with a later application, but even then it is risky, since you could potentially be waitlisted with a later interview. Looks like you have made up your mind and applied, so I will wish you luck! Let us know how it goes :)
Regarding patient interaction, I have actually also been a volunteer counselor for the National Suicide Prevention Line for over 3 years. Plenty of interaction with...some rather difficult (to say the least) patients and situations.

But thank you for the luck. I just wish MCAT scores weren't so damn unpredictable :\

Yea, naturally I will be upset if rejected, however I am realistic in realizing that my chances are not that high. Regardless, I am prepared to reapply if needed. But it seems being a re-applicant didn't really effect your chances when you reapplied early (correct me if I am wrong).
I'd love to agree with you, but I haven't gotten my acceptance yet.

Thing is, SDN undoubtedly blows the reapplicant stigma out of proportion. Of course people need to try again every year, and of course many inevitably get in the second or third time around. My only issue with do-overs is the psychological and financial toll it takes. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd love to agree with you, but I haven't gotten my acceptance yet.

Thing is, SDN undoubtedly blows the reapplicant stigma out of proportion. Of course people need to try again every year, and of course many inevitably get in the second or third time around. My only issue with do-overs is the psychological and financial toll it takes. Best of luck to you!
Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!