Late Applicant (Pre-Med) - Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterDaxter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First - sorry for the really long post.

I am in the terrible (self-inflicted) circumstance of not having submitted my AMCAS app yet. It is the first week of August. To get it out of the way: I know I'm late, and there are multiple family crisis/personal issues involved. I say this because I'm aware of the blunder and what it means. So I'm sincerely requesting solutions and advice at this point, not to be further scolded.

I know I'm still in the clear for a particular in-state school. However, I'm curious as to what my chances are for other out-of-state schools. I have a short list of places I was going to apply to, but this list was made much earlier in the summer. Given that my submission hasn't happened, I was wondering if you all could help me realistically create a new list. I plan on submitting no later than August 10th (sooner if possible).

Here's a bit about me and the tentative list I'm looking to have revised for this late in the cycle.

School: Mid Size Midwestern School
Studying: Major: Biology-Related / Minors: Chemistry and Foreign Language
cGPA & sGPA: ~ 3.8 / MCAT: 514 (evenly spread if that matters)
Shadowing: ~100 hours, mostly pediatric and primary care with some E/R and wound care
Research: 1 yr in 2 labs, but 0 publications
Volunteering: Medical-related ~ 150 hrs / Nonmedical 600+ hours
Extracurricular: Numerous on campus leadership positions both paid and unpaid. Work as a teaching assistant and tutor
Employment: Work as an ACT tutor also, and some other random part time jobs

A lot of my non medical volunteering comes from teaching/tutoring and doing media work with government law enforcement (which for anonymity I won't describe, but has made for a pretty unique experience)

Schools:

Boston U
Creighton
David Geffen
Hofstra
Oregon
Penn State
SUNY Upstate
TCMC
U Miami
UAB
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
U Cincinatti
U Colorado
U Michigan
UNC
U Rochester
Wake Forest
Wayne State

When this list was made, there were already plenty of reach schools, and I was already concerned it was rather top-heavy for my app. Now that schools are already giving interviews, I know it's rather futile to even bother with some of these. Could you all help me out? I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I count 6 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. Depending on your state of residence that could be enough.

Thank you! That comes as somewhat of a relief. (I don't know if it's worth adding, or if it changes your take, but I'm an Asian Male. )

Can you tell me those 6 schools where I have a chance? and I'm a legal resident of one of the following states: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee.
Does that change anything?

Also, do you think there are any schools I should just avoid submitting to (and save the time/trouble/money)? Lastly, I'm open to any suggestions or additional schools to consider, as well.

Thanks again. Truly appreciate any help and guidance

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a good chance at any one those state public schools where you are a resident. You can remove U Michigan, UNC, Oregon, SUNY upstate, San Diego and Irvine since you are not a resident of those states. Consider adding these schools:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Tulane
New York Medical College

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! That comes as somewhat of a relief. (I don't know if it's worth adding, or if it changes your take, but I'm an Asian Male. )

Can you tell me those 6 schools where I have a chance? and I'm a legal resident of one of the following states: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee.
Does that change anything?

Also, do you think there are any schools I should just avoid submitting to (and save the time/trouble/money)? Lastly, I'm open to any suggestions or additional schools to consider, as well.

Thanks again. Truly appreciate any help and guidance
Those states vary dramatically in terms of IS matriculation with GA and TN being the least favorable at 27%.
The others are very good, even for applicants with relatively low stats. For example, the median MCAT for an IS matriculant in MS is 27.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
The state is everything here.

Alabama Louisiana and Mississippi are all very good states for MD admission. Beyond that 90% of people from those states stay IS for med school and the few who go OOS are going to top 20's or have unique circumstances(ie legacy etc) often. Hence there isnt much point in a broad OOS list to lower tiers.
Tennessee is a reasonable state for MD admission but ETSU is a rather mission oriented school and a good number go OOS. A reasonable OOS list is probably a good idea.
Georgia's IS matriculant numbers are inflated by Morehouse(which you arent likely a fit for). Mercer is also rather mission oriented. A decent OOS list in GA is definitely a good idea. If you are from the Atlanta area that will help to some extent at Emory also

Hence how many schools to apply to and your odds varies by which of those 6.

Last edited:
@gyngyn @GrapesofRath yeah I'll stop being so elusive haha my legal residency is in MS or AL which should be bit more comparable.

I'm sorry @GrapesofRath, I'm not sure I understood exactly what you meant. Given that I'm either MS or AL, are you saying that applying to any OOS is rather futile?

I know my state is pretty good about IS admission, I was wondering more along the lines of, will my state make applying to these OOS schools more or less worthwhile.

@gyngyn @GrapesofRath yeah I'll stop being so elusive haha my legal residency is in MS or AL which should be bit more comparable.

I'm sorry @GrapesofRath, I'm not sure I understood exactly what you meant. Given that I'm either MS or AL, are you saying that applying to any OOS is rather futile?

I know my state is pretty good about IS admission, I was wondering more along the lines of, will my state make applying to these OOS schools more or less worthwhile.
There were a total of 180 successful applicants from MS. Guess how many applicants left the state.