late application for 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sengineer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation dictated that I am only able to take the DAT next month on the 19th. My application has not been submitted yet as I am still finishing my shadowing hours. I am being told that it is too late to submit or even to wait till after the DAT. Why is it that most schools have a Feb / Jan deadline? I work full time and wanted to make sure that my DAT scores are good since my GPA is not awesome. Should I submit the application now regardless to at least get it started and have the DAT and shadowing updated afterwards or just wait till the end of next month? My samples test scores are still low 20 and 19 for 1 or 2 sections. Would anyone who has past experience with successful application please comment or advise here. Next cycle is not even an option for me; non-traditional student.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were taking the DAT now and submitting now, I'd say maybe. But because your application won't be considered complete until late November (at the earliest), you'd be spending SO much money and your chances would definitely be affected. Schools will already be offering spots into their incoming class before they even review your application. Is it possible? Yes. Would I do it if I were in your shoes? No. I have a friend who submitted his AADSAS in November and got an acceptance in February but he was very lucky. What is your GPA/extracurriculars?

If you were taking the DAT now and submitting now, I'd say maybe. But because your application won't be considered complete until late November (at the earliest), you'd be spending SO much money and your chances would definitely be affected. Schools will already be offering spots into their incoming class before they even review your application. Is it possible? Yes. Would I do it if I were in your shoes? No. I have a friend who submitted his AADSAS in November and got an acceptance in February but he was very lucky. What is your GPA/extracurriculars?

I have a 3.0 gpa with bachelors in Engineering, took science courses this last year and that GPA is 3.3; with 5 years engineering working experience; prior to that 10 years of varying jobs; 65 hours currently of shadowing and other extracurriculars going back over many years. As I mentioned I am a non-traditional student and finding 8 hours a day to study or shadow is nearly impossible. But back to your point on not even considering it, I was just speaking to someone and I guess realized that this is the be all and end all for me; I will not apply next year based on age etc. and this is my only opportunity as daunting as it may be.
But thanks for your response; it does not look like I would be considered as you mention but not applying after all this years sacrifice would just mean it was in vain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation and was actually hoping for some advice too (sorry for jumping into your post!). I'm hoping to submit my aadsas by early November (taking the DAT nov 26th), but unsure when my LOR's will be submitted. I have a 3.4 cum and a 3.3 sGPA, have completed around 100-150 hours of shadowing and completed some trips to Honduras with GB along with leadership in the club. Do you think I have a chance anywhere?

update: I also have 2-2.5 years of research experience that I forgot to mention.

My situation dictated that I am only able to take the DAT next month on the 19th. My application has not been submitted yet as I am still finishing my shadowing hours. I am being told that it is too late to submit or even to wait till after the DAT. Why is it that most schools have a Feb / Jan deadline? I work full time and wanted to make sure that my DAT scores are good since my GPA is not awesome. Should I submit the application now regardless to at least get it started and have the DAT and shadowing updated afterwards or just wait till the end of next month? My samples test scores are still low 20 and 19 for 1 or 2 sections. Would anyone who has past experience with successful application please comment or advise here. Next cycle is not even an option for me; non-traditional student.

May I ask why next cycle is not an option for you? If it's because of age, I would not give up a dream just because you will be a year older. In the grand scheme of things, a year isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in a similar situation and was actually hoping for some advice too (sorry for jumping into your post!). I'm hoping to submit my aadsas by early November (taking the DAT nov 26th), but unsure when my LOR's will be submitted. I have a 3.4 cum and a 3.3 sGPA, have completed around 100-150 hours of shadowing and completed some trips to Honduras with GB along with leadership in the club. Do you think I have a chance anywhere?

update: I also have 2-2.5 years of research experience that I forgot to mention.

Hey no problem; we all need help here right? As the first response mentioned, we are definitely messing up our chances but if you have time on your side and willing to lose some money (although I consider it a worthwhile investment), then still apply. I was told by the admission office that you can still submit LOR afterwards so submit your app as soon as you can. Good luck

May I ask why next cycle is not an option for you? If it's because of age, I would not give up a dream just because you will be a year older. In the grand scheme of things, a year isn't going to make that much of a difference.

No I realize that age is not an issue; but its a multitude of factors that come into play and if it works out for me that I can apply I will most definitely will. As I mentioned before I've come this far and not giving up but my point is I cannot waste this opportunity as slim as it may seem. Does that make sense? Thanks for your response.

Hey no problem; we all need help here right? As the first response mentioned, we are definitely messing up our chances but if you have time on your side and willing to lose some money (although I consider it a worthwhile investment), then still apply. I was told by the admission office that you can still submit LOR afterwards so submit your app as soon as you can. Good luck

Oh ok that helps me out with the lors then! Thank you so much! Good luck too!! Hopefully we have a shot :)

Also does anyone know if USC is strict on their feb of the year of application date for the DAT? I was looking at some old threads and it looks like some people were applying with DAT scores being sent in September and still getting interviews?

No I realize that age is not an issue; but its a multitude of factors that come into play and if it works out for me that I can apply I will most definitely will. As I mentioned before I've come this far and not giving up but my point is I cannot waste this opportunity as slim as it may seem. Does that make sense? Thanks for your response.

Yep I understand. I am a non traditional as well, and will be in a similar position next year. I am not sure if I will try and squeeze in an application next year or if I will wait until 2016. I am leaning towards waiting though just because I'd prefer to take the DAT after I complete the 2nd organic chemistry. Also, I don't necessarily want to rush anything. If you feel this is your best option though, I say go for it! Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.

I agree with jmcunnin. Dentistry is a life-long career with endless opportunities. If you are passionate about this career, then I'd say do everything in your power to make it happen, even if it means overcoming obstacles (whatever they may be) and applying next cycle. If money is not an issue, then apply both cycles! You never know what could happen. I wish you both the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with jmcunnin. Dentistry is a life-long career with endless opportunities. If you are passionate about this career, then I'd say do everything in your power to make it happen, even if it means overcoming obstacles (whatever they may be) and applying next cycle. If money is not an issue, then apply both cycles! You never know what could happen. I wish you both the best of luck.

Beachbum627 - are you in dental school now or are you predent?