"Late" Batch Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah my friend interviewed at 5 dental schools last year and got rejected from all 5. Just do well during the interview. Goodluck :)
Omg I don't want to know that. Is your friend awkward or rude or conceited?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, app complete on 9/11, applied to 10 public schools and 1 private. No real word yet. Stats in signature. I just need one person to tell me to be patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, app complete on 9/11, applied to 10 public schools and 1 private. No real word yet. Stats in signature. I just need one person to tell me to be patient.

Be patient.

Sincerely
One person

Reactions: 3 users
Sort of... I've given into the silence for the time being... like an alternate dimension. I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst and real life to continue:

Thanks for the nightmares, David Bowie.

Help! Starting to really stress out...I applied to 10 schools and haven't gotten a single interview invite yet. Submitted my AADSAS July 24th, (although there are multiple "mail out dates" listed and I'm not sure which one means what). My DAT scores were verified in the AADSAS by 8/20, and I have completed and paid for supplementals at every school on my list that does supplementals. My overall GPA is 3.95, science GPA 3.92. DAT: Bio 20, GC 19, Ochem 21, PAT 22, QR 20, RC 26. I have multiple research experiences, leadership in my dental club, hundreds of volunteer/shadow hours. I read about the people on here with later mail out dates than mine who already have multiple interviews and I definitely expected to have at least one by now... any thoughts?

Help! Starting to really stress out...I applied to 10 schools and haven't gotten a single interview invite yet. Submitted my AADSAS July 24th, (although there are multiple "mail out dates" listed and I'm not sure which one means what). My DAT scores were verified in the AADSAS by 8/20, and I have completed and paid for supplementals at every school on my list that does supplementals. My overall GPA is 3.95, science GPA 3.92. DAT: Bio 20, GC 19, Ochem 21, PAT 22, QR 20, RC 26. I have multiple research experiences, leadership in my dental club, hundreds of volunteer/shadow hours. I read about the people on here with later mail out dates than mine who already have multiple interviews and I definitely expected to have at least one by now... any thoughts?

Same boat

It honestly depends on what schools you applied for; for some of them your stats are simply too high to be considered for pre-dec interviews as they assume you'll have other offers. For others, perhaps they're just getting around to your app since your mail-out date would probably be late aug/early sept. With your stats, I would not fret too much.

Reactions: 1 user
It honestly depends on what schools you applied for; for some of them your stats are simply too high to be considered for pre-dec interviews as they assume you'll have other offers. For others, perhaps they're just getting around to your app since your mail-out date would probably be late aug/early sept. With your stats, I would not fret too much.
Thanks for your input!

Is that really a thing to have "too high" of stats for early interviews? What would be the reasoning for schools to go about it like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that really a thing to have "too high" of stats for early interviews? What would be the reasoning for schools to go about it like that?

The logic is perfectly sound for some schools. Interviews cost schools time, manpower, and money and they would like to be able to secure a well-fitted class in a timely manner for the following year. Say you applied to a school (for example) where the avg GPA was 3.2 and DAT was 19. If your stats are far above that, they know even if they give you a pre-dec interview, the chances of you taking their offer of acceptance is relatively low-thus they will avoid time lost by deciding to not select you for a pre-dec. Now after December, they can send invites to those with higher stats as the only ones who would accept the interview at that point would be applicants who have not had an offer of acceptance at that time. *Please bear in mind that this thought process is only logical for schools with relatively lower avg. stats*

The logic is perfectly sound for some schools. Interviews cost schools time, manpower, and money and they would like to be able to secure a well-fitted class in a timely manner for the following year. Say you applied to a school (for example) where the avg GPA was 3.2 and DAT was 19. If your stats are far above that, they know even if they give you a pre-dec interview, the chances of you taking their offer of acceptance is relatively low-thus they will avoid time lost by deciding to not select you for a pre-dec. Now after December, they can send invites to those with higher stats as the only ones who would accept the interview at that point would be applicants who have not had an offer of acceptance at that time. *Please bear in mind that this thought process is only logical for schools with relatively lower avg. stats*
Oh, no wonder I haven't heard from Harvard! My 4.0 and 30 DAT are just intimidating them I guess.

(Before you guys try to stalk my posts, I'm not serious)

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, no wonder I haven't heard from Harvard! My 4.0 and 30 DAT are just intimidating them I guess.

(Before you guys try to stalk my posts, I'm not serious)

Little low for Harvard I think; 4.3 seems to be the standard. You might get a post-dec though? *crosses fingers* (I jest)

You'll be fine. I highly suggest adding a handful of schools just to be on the same side

Do you know what % of spots are filled predec?
Obviously it differs from program to program but is like 60% before and 40% after or more?

Serious question - has anyone ever talked to a tax representative about writing off some of the application cycle on their tax returns? I have spent like $4000 out of my pocket on primary, supplementals, suit attire, flights, etc. and still could walk away with nothing come December.

Can anyone tell me what month intervals are considered "first batch," "second batch," and "third batch?" I understand that schools begin accepting applications in the beginning of June and first acceptances are given December 1st.

Feel exactly the same. I thought I would have gotten more interviews by now !!! ;(
My mail out date is 8/13. Dont know what becomes of me ;(

Hey, I respect your input but I think we never gonna know the admission's selection thought process. In my opinion, there is no such thing called " too high to be invited for interviews." I personally got interviews to school with lower avg stats than mine and I know couple of friends who interviewed at "lower stats schools" with 24AA+ and 3.80 in September.

Hey, I respect your input but I think we never gonna know the admission's selection thought process. In my opinion, there is no such thing called " too high to be invited for interviews." I personally got interviews to school with lower avg stats than mine and I know couple of friends who interviewed at "lower stats schools" with 24AA+ and 3.80 in September.

Of course it isn't an absolute; I suspect each school has multiple criteria for interview selection. I just acknowledge the whole "too high" scenario as one of the possible explanations and the fact that this particular scenario has logical backing to it. It is likely that every applicant is screened and valued differently. Let me clarify, I do not think this is the only criteria schools use for interview selection nor do I reject it as a possibility. Just trying to give peeps hope and likely explanations to lessen the stress of the whole ordeal.

Edit: It is not my intention to start a whole debate about the matter.

Last edited:
Of course it isn't an absolute; I suspect each school has multiple criteria for interview selection. I just acknowledge the whole "too high" scenario as one of the possible explanations and the fact that this particular scenario has logical backing to it. It is likely that every applicant is screened and valued differently. Let me clarify, I do not think this is the only criteria schools use for interview selection nor do I reject it as a possibility. Just trying to give peeps hope and likely explanations to lessen the stress of the whole ordeal.

Edit: It is not my intention to start a whole debate about the matter.

It's probably moreso a "less likely to accept" than a "too high of stats" scenario.

had only 1 interview so far, nothing else. For those of you waiting, did you guys email schools to get the status? I am thinking about emailing schools to find out what's going on.

had only 1 interview so far, nothing else. For those of you waiting, did you guys email schools to get the status? I am thinking about emailing schools to find out what's going on.
The most they would tell you is exactly what shows on your aadsas

I was batch 10 and received one interview and hopefully more come. I also have a low gpa, 3.2 for both.

I was batch 15 and received 3 interviews so far (NYU and UConn Pre-Dec, NOVA Post-Dec)

3.7 OA 3.6 Sci 3.85 BCP 19/19aa
16 schools 3 rejections 0 interviews

Feeling incredibly discouraged right now.

3.7 OA 3.6 Sci 3.85 BCP 19/19aa
16 schools 3 rejections 0 interviews

Feeling incredibly discouraged right now.
Do you think if there is possible any red flag on your application?

Don't worry. No matter how many interviews other people are getting, they can only attend one school. I'm cool with their leftovers

Do you think if there is possible any red flag on your application?

Maybe? I didn't really think of it as a 'red flag' until the results of this cycle.

I got accepted 2 cycles ago and as I was right about to start school some major **** hit the fan which prompted me to leave right before school started, I quickly applied the second I got home (Early August) some more **** hit the fan, which left me unable to complete my app.

Taking a step back from it, I can see how the admissions committee might think that I don't know what I want but I never really considered adcoms would just default to thinking that there wasn't a really !@#1ing good reason that I didn't go to school. This cycle has been a stark contrast to my first cycle in which I was swimming in interviews (didn't even go to all of them).

Last edited:
I am batch 15 too. Do you mind sharing your stats ? I didnt hear back from Uconn. Which state are your from ?

I'm from NJ. 23 AA and 23 TS on DAT, Overall GPA 3.9 and Science 3.89. I also have ~1000 assisting/shadowing hours between an orthodontist and a pediatric dentist

I haven't heard from a school for almost a month already. I am guessing that it will be post December if I were to receive any additional invites.

Mailed September 4th, haven't heard a peep. Good news is coming, at least that's what I keep telling myself

I'm from NJ. 23 AA and 23 TS on DAT, Overall GPA 3.9 and Science 3.89. I also have ~1000 assisting/shadowing hours between an orthodontist and a pediatric dentist
I have similar stats and hours with slightly lower GPA and slightly higher Dat and i didn't hear anything back from them.. And i am from New York... :(

Maybe? I didn't really think of it as a 'red flag' until the results of this cycle.

I got accepted 2 cycles ago and as I was right about to start school some major **** hit the fan which prompted me to leave right before school started, I quickly applied the second I got home (Early August) some more **** hit the fan, which left me unable to complete my app.

Taking a step back from it, I can see how the admissions committee might think that I don't know what I want but I never really considered adcoms would just default to thinking that there wasn't a really !@#1ing good reason that I didn't go to school. This cycle has been a stark contrast to my first cycle in which I was swimming in interviews (didn't even go to all of them).
Did you put it in your personal statement? Any hardship you went through defines who you are so its just how you express it. I think you shouldn't lose hope now. Obviously they accept you before. This time the circumstances change and you need to be able to explain it well. Just hang in there. I'm sure you will get at least couple interviews. Just be calm and get ready when the good news comes!!!

Did you put it in your personal statement? Any hardship you went through defines who you are so its just how you express it. I think you shouldn't lose hope now. Obviously they accept you before. This time the circumstances change and you need to be able to explain it well. Just hang in there. I'm sure you will get at least couple interviews. Just be calm and get ready when the good news comes!!!

**** no I didn't write about what happened in my personal statement. In fact, I didn't mention what happened at all. While I won't hesitate to give a vague explanation if an interviewer asks, the events aren't exactly something I want put out there.

I haven't heard from a school for almost a month already. I am guessing that it will be post December if I were to receive any additional invites.
Dont worry! Nov is wide opened. I have the same feeling until 2 days ago i got a invite from usc

Do you think they'll schedule Nov interviews in Nov?

**** no I didn't write about what happened in my personal statement. In fact, I didn't mention what happened at all. While I won't hesitate to give a vague explanation if an interviewer asks, the events aren't exactly something I want put out there.

That's how I am too. I faced some but I don't want my PS to sound like a pity story. If there is a question on facing adversity or whatever I would likely reference it