Late-comer in Admissions-(Sept 2nd MCAT)- Got a Bunch of Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBound2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently realized after shadowing some pharmacists (hence screen name) and then shadowing a few D.O.'s that I was completely wasting my time even applying to pharm school. Eitherway, I'm applying to med school this cycle. I have my AACOMAS done and I will most likely be sending it Tuesday. I should have all my LOR's (3 Science Professors & 1 D.O.) by Aug 10th and I am seeing the only thing I have left is the dreaded MCATS.

My question is, say the AACOMAS app is sent out by August 4th, and I have an MCAT signed up for September 2nd (which releases scores around Oct. 7th), do I have any viable chance at getting into D.O. school this cycle? I've been averaging about a 27-28 on the MCAT's and just want a realistic view from someone. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, have you or anyone you know gotten into D.O. school after applying to med school this late into the cycle?

Sorry for my ignorance, I tried the search button, but didn't come up with too many specific answers. Thanks!

I don't think you're that late in the cycle... I just submitted mine a couple days ago, and I'm not getting my DO letter till this Fall (although, LORs go out with secondaries so it buys some time).

If you look at the deadlines for the schools, most of them are in January/february of next year. It's not advised to use this as an excuse to be lazy and wait, but it just confirms that you're not that late, especially if you're a strong applicant.

I recommend that you prewrite all your secondaries and apply broadly. This way, once your MCAT is submitted to AACOMAS in October, your secondaries won't be too far behind.

You should do what you can to raise your MCAT scores higher between now and MCAT day. 27-28 is good, but who knows how the MCAT will go on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, even with september 2nd MCAT, I wouldn't be considered "late" ?

So, even with september 2nd MCAT, I wouldn't be considered "late" ?

You would receive your score early October. If your application was already verified and schools were only waiting on your MCAT score, I wouldn't consider you too late (maybe a little late). Like the other poster said, many deadlines are in February. I would make sure my application was submitted and verified before your MCAT though.

I was just wondering. If I am verified by August 25th, but wont have my MCAT scores by early october, will I recieve Secondary applications until after they get my MCAT or even before?

I was just wondering. If I am verified by August 25th, but wont have my MCAT scores by early october, will I recieve Secondary applications until after they get my MCAT or even before?

Yes, some schools will send you secondaries without MCAT score! I have a few secondaries already and My MCAT score won't be in till late august! -So submit your Primary stat!
-Fill out your secondaries and submit those, so that all you're waiting on is the MCAT!

It seems I will be sending my aacomas real soon to make sure the only thing in my way is the mcats. Thanks guys!

It's just scary because out of all the past DO applicants I know, the only ones that didn't get in were the ones that submitted their app as "late" as mine. Oh well, a small chance is better then no chance!