Late committee letter!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowmix88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else received their committee letter late in August? My letter went out yesterday, and I have had my 25 secondaries done since early August :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Is my application considered late? Am I at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone else received their committee letter late in August? My letter went out yesterday, and I have had my 25 secondaries done since early August :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Is my application considered late? Am I at a disadvantage?

It's definitely not early but I wouldn't say it's miserably late. :D

Yes and Yes. Your application will be considered late and it will certainly put you at a disadvantage (at least a little bit). There is no point in worrying too much though since you cannot do anything about it. I am also in the same boat and am just hoping I get lucky at some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happened at my school too. The pre-med committee claimed that it put us at no disadvantage, but I would have liked to be complete in July/early August as I finished my secondaries. I've already received a few interviews though (quick turnaround at some schools).

It just sucks to have this out of your control especially since when the rest of your application is early. I sent in the essays for my committee letter in January and it took them 8 months to write one piece of paper! WTF! Also, when I would contact them regarding the status of my letter they would not respond by email and they would not give me a definite time-frame by phone. So frustrating!

It just sucks to have this out of your control especially since when the rest of your application is early. I sent in the essays for my committee letter in January and it took them 8 months to write one piece of paper! WTF! Also, when I would contact them regarding the status of my letter they would not respond by email and they would not give me a definite time-frame by phone. So frustrating!

It happens. I politely asked if my letter could be sent out in July since I had been verified and was in the midst of completing my secondaries, and I got a "maybe." All of the letters were supposed to go out the first week in August, which I was assured of several times. I didn't get mine until mid-August, and some of my classmates just received theirs. It's frustrating but there's nothing we can do about it now except sit and wait and hope for interviews.

I mean... there isnt ANYTHING at all you could possibly do about it, so why worry?

It's definitely not early but I wouldn't say it's miserably late. :D

I apologize, I guess I've been extremely preoccupied lately. I thought it was still middle of August but I've come to realize today is September already... :( Your application will be considered late at this point, but as alexandertg6 has pointed out, this issue is completely out of your hands now.

On SDN you only hear about early and late application time-frames but what is considered middle of the pack? All my secondaries are now complete and I assume my interviews will be in mid Nov-Dec which would still be in the first half of the interview cycle. While early applications have their obvious advantages I do not mind "running with the herd" as long as I am not the straggler being picked off by cheetahs! I suppose I am trying to spin this in a positive light :rolleyes::laugh:.