Late ECFMG certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polacko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm a non visa holder IMG wanting to pursue an IM residency . I'll likely graduate March 2018 and I'm not sure which match season i should apply. If possible, I'd like to enter the 2017's match . Do you think my date of graduation will be an important downturn in my application at 2017's cycle? According to NMRP, being certificated by match day is not needed, but program requirements vary in this regard. In case it affects to the extent that I do not match, would not matching be a red flag for next year's match season, assuming I'll be ECFMG certified by them, or will it not affect my application?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Applying this year in no way affects next year. The only problem is the financial cost. Plus, there is some chance that you would have a greater selection of interviews next year as some programs will not interview you without ECFMG certification. But others will. No right answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello folks,
I'm a non visa holder IMG wanting to pursue an IM residency . I'll likely graduate March 2018 and I'm not sure which match season i should apply. If possible, I'd like to enter the 2017's match . Do you think my date of graduation will be an important downturn in my application at 2017's cycle? According to NMRP, being certificated by match day is not needed, but program requirements vary in this regard. In case it affects to the extent that I do not match, would not matching be a red flag for next year's match season, assuming I'll be ECFMG certified by them, or will it not affect my application?

Thanks in advance
Hey I know this is kinda late but I'm currently in your situation. Did you go ahead with the 2017 match and were you successful? Thanks in advance!