Late interest in anesthesia - read the stickies and searched, have one question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camelbackpodium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You wrote before changing your post (image attached): "..."

You're overthinking this. You've already decided that this field is right for you (congrats!), so worrying about what programs think of your perceived lack of exposure is pointless, other than thinking of how best to explain how you arrived at your decision during interviews. (Just be honest)

Some programs may care, and others won't.

If you're worried that a fellow MS-4 with two months of Anesthesia rotations will have a huge leg up on you during your CA-1 year because they got in 50 intubations and 100 IV's, stop worrying.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
You're overthinking this. You've already decided that this field is right for you (congrats!), so worrying about what programs think of your perceived lack of exposure is pointless, other than thinking of how best to explain how you arrived at your decision during interviews. (Just be honest)

If you're worried that a fellow MS-4 with two months of Anesthesia rotations will have a huge leg up on you during your CA-1 year because they got in 50 intubations and 100 IV's, stop worrying.

Thanks. I know everyone will be starting from scratch CA-1 year. It's more about fighting the possible perception that I might not know what I am applying for.
You wrote before changing your post (image attached): "..."

Do you think I can assume that programs that have invited me to interview will be ok that my experience has been later than most? By my first interview I'll have done 2 official weeks and about a week spread throughout other OR rotations.

Thanks. I know everyone will be starting from scratch CA-1 year. It's more about fighting the possible perception that I might not know what I am applying for.

Do you think I can assume that programs that have invited me to interview will be ok that my experience has been later than most? By my first interview I'll have done 2 official weeks and about a week spread throughout other OR rotations.

Whether you've done two weeks or two months as a medical student, you haven't really gotten a taste of what it is like to be an anesthesia resident and especially not an attending. The people who are interviewing you know this because they've been there.

What matters is that you're smart, thoughtful and capable of adapting to ****ty situations.

Nobody really "knows" what they're applying for until they've actually experienced it as a CA1.