**Late Night Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iliketoytles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd start one of these since the MD forum has one. This is dedicated to all us night-owls who have disposed of the weakness of requiring 7+ hours of sleep a night. As for myself... a good 2-3 hours will do and I'm fully functional.

So hows about that Steve Jobs resigning, eh?

Members don't see this ad.

With big Steve gone, it's time I step it up. Taking over Apple would be a good EC to put on my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never sleep well maybe like 1-2 hours per 24 hour period. Now I just purchased TPR Hyperlearning complete set for the MCAT that Im taking in Jan! :mad:

You guys are crazy. I need my beauty sleep.

6 hours min!!

psht... Sleep is useless. 4-5 is perfectly fine for me. I feel I do my best work at night.

Besides, who can sleep with interviews in the air!! :cool:

I'm thinking about putting my name in the hat for President of the United States. That counts as leadership, right? Assuming I do a good job and all.

SDN campaign: "I promise to allocate 26% federal funds to SDN and non-troll premed/med students who make a positive difference on these forums. The US economy may continue to dwindle, but at least there will be more physicians to treat those who have been robbed or beaten for their money. It's time for CHANGE!!!"

Do I have YOUR vote?

:cool:

I'm thinking about putting my name in the hat for President of the United States. That counts as leadership, right? Assuming I do a good job and all.

SDN campaign: "I promise to allocate 26% federal funds to SDN and non-troll premed/med students who make a positive difference on these forums. The US economy may continue to dwindle, but at least there will be more physicians to treat those who have been robbed or beaten for their money. It's time for CHANGE!!!"

Do I have YOUR vote?

:cool:

Done. :thumbup:

I guess I should get my SDN fix for the time being since starting tomorrow Hurricane Irene will be likely to take over and I wont have power! too bad I cant fall asleep

I guess I should get my SDN fix for the time being since starting tomorrow Hurricane Irene will be likely to take over and I wont have power! too bad I cant fall asleep

Oh my... good luck man!! I hope you stay safe and the power doesn't go out for too long!!

They say it's actually not as strong as they predicted. It's losing a lot of strength approaching the Carolinas, but it'll still be a Category 1 as it moves north.

Again, stay safe.

4 hours max for me. Haven't really slept in 3 years, about the same time I got into shape. Go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
U guys are crazy. Fully functional will < 4 hrs of sleep? I guess that's fine if I'm cramming for a midterm. lol

Need a min of 6 hrs. The more the merrier for me!

U guys are crazy. Fully functional will < 4 hrs of sleep? I guess that's fine if I'm cramming for a midterm. lol

Need a min of 6 hrs. The more the merrier for me!

Wow lol. Yeah I always feel worse when I get a lot of sleep. I tend to wake up every hour, so after about waking up 3 times... I just stay awake and I'm fully functional. All I need is a little nap and I'm good to go.

But everyone is different. You'll probably live longer than us night owls, lol.

Wow lol. Yeah I always feel worse when I get a lot of sleep. I tend to wake up every hour, so after about waking up 3 times... I just stay awake and I'm fully functional. All I need is a little nap and I'm good to go.

But everyone is different. You'll probably live longer than us night owls, lol.

If I sleep too long, it feels like I can't function at all.

My wife, however, could sleep for a day and feel wonderful.

Wasting the night away by getting my lol's from awkwardfamilyphotos.com
If I ever stop laughing I may goto sleep.

Thanks for the well wishes guys ..I'm back ..power only went out for 5 hours ...Roof is leaking ..my neighbors tree fell on my driveway but still couldve been worse ..Thanking God everything is okay ....but back to not being able to sleep ...

Now that I think about it, I know a lot of people would live to be in my position but Im done with school, cant find work (I apply to 10-12 places daily). Done with the mcat..waiting for accomas to be verified ..Apart from reading books and SDN Ive been bored out of my mind ....Need a new hobby or something to do in life ..I may sound crazy as I am about to say this but I miss studying/school ..:( and hope I get into a school for next year otherwise god knows what will happen to my sanity

I honestly dont know how you guys do it. If i get less than 9 hours of sleep a day, the next day, i will nap, and its liked a forced nap from my body that i must do, or i might just fall asleep without knowing it.

Thanks for the well wishes guys ..I'm back ..power only went out for 5 hours ...Roof is leaking ..my neighbors tree fell on my driveway but still couldve been worse ..Thanking God everything is okay ....but back to not being able to sleep ...

Now that I think about it, I know a lot of people would live to be in my position but Im done with school, cant find work (I apply to 10-12 places daily). Done with the mcat..waiting for accomas to be verified ..Apart from reading books and SDN Ive been bored out of my mind ....Need a new hobby or something to do in life ..I may sound crazy as I am about to say this but I miss studying/school ..:( and hope I get into a school for next year otherwise god knows what will happen to my sanity

I'm in a similar position as you. I already graduated... just applying and interviewing now. I seriousley miss being in my science classes and doing all the tutoring I used to do. It was so much fun to hang out with my teachers and friends everyday and just talk about and learn science. So don't worry, you're not crazy... and if you are, then I must be too! :laugh:

So glad Sunday is over too. Those are the worst days during application season... since it's like everyone's application is on hold for a day. I can't stand the thought of adcoms taking a day off. Who do they think they are?! lol.

Hopefully this week (especially TODAY) will be full of interview invites! Can't wait to wake up and check my inbox. :xf:

You guys are crazy!

If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, someone is gonna get shanked.

Surgery rotation will be interesting.

I'm slowly trying to get my hours of sleep needed down for Med School. I used to be in the "I need 8+ hours or the next person i see dies", now I'm down to 5-6 hours and I'm good. If I can get it to a solid 4-5 hours of sleep, with maybe some Power Naps during the day, I'll be prime for OMS1 Gunning!

Power Naps: 20 min, or 1.5 hours. Nothing in between.

I honestly wake up q 2 hours all night long. If I get 4 hours in a row, I'm happy :/

Anybody volunteer at night? The hospital I volunteer at today just started letting volunteers volunteer around the clock. They have made a few rooms available if you want to nap in the volunteer lounge.

I never sleep well maybe like 1-2 hours per 24 hour period. Now I just purchased TPR Hyperlearning complete set for the MCAT that Im taking in Jan! :mad:

Oh my... good luck with that! At least your one of us night owls... so if you ever get bored, just post and one of us should reply quickly. haha ;)

My only rant for tonight is that Starbucks should be open 24/7!!! Night owls like me need unlimited access to caramel macchiatos lol

My only rant for tonight is that Starbucks should be open 24/7!!! Night owls like me need unlimited access to caramel macchiatos lol

I hear ya... I wish there were more 24/7 places where people could hang out. I was actually thinking about this a lot a couple years ago. What if all the people who stay up late made a group called the Night Owls of America (NOA for short). We would all live in the same city. We would hire a few normal sleepers to open shops during the day, but the night owls come out at night where there are other night owls who are working at coffee shops, libraries, gyms, etc. This way, everybody gets what they want.

I think NOA headquarters should be somewhere in California. Who's up for this?

Up reading biochem... Blah. Then I guess a little immunology after that.

Oh, first week of classes.

Biochem is indeed blah. Immunology pretty fun. Bacterial pathogenesis is my late night lover tonight :cool:

Woke up from a nap an hour ago, going to start on some biochem :(

Yeah, immuno is pretty sick. But I would much rather be reading what you're reading. I love that stuff. :thumbup:

Haha... pretty SICK, get it? because it's immunology.... ..... ........ nevermind. lol

I took immuno and biochem in the same semester my junior year. It was awesome. I loved both. Cell biology is my favorite so immuno was super interesting to me.

Good luck to all of you late-night studyers. I honestly wish I could be taking a science class right now. No matter how many cool science articles I read in my time off, it just isn't the same. :(

Good luck to all of you late-night studyers. I honestly wish I could be taking a science class right now. No matter how many cool science articles I read in my time off, it just isn't the same. :(

I feel exactly the same way. I would give anything to be starting med school this week.

I feel exactly the same way. I would give anything to be starting med school this week.

It will happen. Just be patient and make the best out of the situation. You could always go to classes and just sit in if you are too bored...a good way to keep learning but not pay for expensive classes.

Just enjoy the free time you have right now

doingit9 said:
It will happen. Just be patient and make the best out of the situation. You could always go to classes and just sit in if you are too bored...a good way to keep learning but not pay for expensive classes.

Ya, of course you're both right. There is no use in moping or feeling sorry for myself. I should definitely head to the library to check out some books I've been meaning to read.

Haha... pretty SICK, get it? because it's immunology.... ..... ........ nevermind. lol

I took immuno and biochem in the same semester my junior year. It was awesome. I loved both. Cell biology is my favorite so immuno was super interesting to me.

Trust me. There are a few I would have no problem letting you take for me... :D

Time to fire the late night thread up again... since I guess it's "late night" right now.

So... I was randomly thinking today about OMM lab and the whole taking shirt off thing. It never really bothered me before, and I know there was that whole thread not too long ago about it here. I'm starting to get a little uncomfortable with the idea of it. Of course, I know it's something I'll get over quick... but I guess it's time to start hitting the gym right? I'm a moderately big guy for a brown dude (not in height unfortunately), mainly because I lift a lot of weights in the gym, but there's a nice layer of adipose over those skeletal muscles courtesy of junior/senior year + my own laziness.

I was wondering if anyone knew the OMM lab dress code for DMU, KCUMB, or TCOM? I know t-shirts go off when acting as the patient... but do you have to sit for like 10 minutes, or is it like a minute every once in a while? Again, I'm not basing any huge decisions on this, so don't turn this wonderful late night thread into a flame war. +pissed+

On another note... I made some darn good parmesan chicken today. Yummyyy

There is a Starbucks near me that is open 24/7!!! Well the inside is not but the drive thru is open 24/7. Never used it that late tho :p

Time to fire the late night thread up again... since I guess it's "late night" right now.

So... I was randomly thinking today about OMM lab and the whole taking shirt off thing. It never really bothered me before, and I know there was that whole thread not too long ago about it here. I'm starting to get a little uncomfortable with the idea of it. Of course, I know it's something I'll get over quick... but I guess it's time to start hitting the gym right? I'm a moderately big guy for a brown dude (not in height unfortunately), mainly because I lift a lot of weights in the gym, but there's a nice layer of adipose over those skeletal muscles courtesy of junior/senior year + my own laziness.

I was wondering if anyone knew the OMM lab dress code for DMU, KCUMB, or TCOM? I know t-shirts go off when acting as the patient... but do you have to sit for like 10 minutes, or is it like a minute every once in a while? Again, I'm not basing any huge decisions on this, so don't turn this wonderful late night thread into a flame war. +pissed+

Still got nearly a year til we start med school (I like to be optimistic). Hit them weights/cardio/diet and show up to OMM lab in confidence. :thumbup:

Losing our dog for 6 weeks actually made me lose nearly 20 lbs since I was stressed/not eating the whole time D: Maybe lose your dog for a few weeks? :) (we did get her back)

Your post is cracking me up!

The way I see it, people can tell what you look like (not you, but a hypothetical you) when you have your clothes on. For example, it isn't going surprise people if someone has a fat stomach...unfortunately you can tell that through a T-shirt. I'm not in medical school, but I would guess that people take their shirts off and on during OMM.

Chicken parmesan is amazing...you should try it with goat cheese sometime. It will blow your mind!

My tattoos will throw people off... :laugh:

Speaking of tattoos...

I have one on my left wrist of my fiance's initials, which can be covered with a watch if I *have* to. I was thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate getting into DO medical school (when I do get in), but wonder if it would be premature to get something like the staff with the snake twirly thing? Not really sold on this design yet, but I do want something symbolic.

What does the Late Night crew think?

Speaking of tattoos...

I have one on my left wrist of my fiance's initials, which can be covered with a watch if I *have* to. I was thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate getting into DO medical school (when I do get in), but wonder if it would be premature to get something like the staff with the snake twirly thing? Not really sold on this design yet, but I do want something symbolic.

What does the Late Night crew think?

I don't regret any of the tattoos that I have and I have five (that are all covered by normal clothes). I have actually had that idea as well but I'm unsure if I will really do it or not.

I say go for it. :thumbup:

I think you have to take your shirt off at KCUMB, I'm pretty sure the girls wear sports bras as well

btw I love your name and pic!! I love the I like turdles kid!!