Late season Audition/SLOE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajh1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have one SLOE uploaded and ready to send by Sep15 for ERAS.

My question is basically, how late is too late to have a meaningful away rotation at a program, and consequently obtain a SLOE to be considered for rank lists. I have an opportunity to rotate Nov 21 - Dec 16th at a program I'm interested in. Assuming I secure an interview in October based on scores (my boards are 250+), will this rotation be of use in considering me for match? Will a SLOE from this rotation help me in rank list creation? Or is it too late in the season for this rotation to help.

I understand I should have more letters in the bank throughout the summer, but my specific schedule limits my ability to do more EM rotations early. Assume for the purposes of my question I CAN'T do this rotation earlier in the season.

Much thanks to any helpful opinions. I'm really in a bind scheduling my audition season.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is basically, how late is too late to have a meaningful away rotation at a program, and consequently obtain a SLOE to be considered for rank lists. I have an opportunity to rotate Nov 21 - Dec 16th at a program I'm interested in. Assuming I secure an interview in October based on scores (my boards are 250+), will this rotation be of use in considering me for match? Will a SLOE from this rotation help me in rank list creation? Or is it too late in the season for this rotation to help.

I understand I should have more letters in the bank throughout the summer, but my specific schedule limits my ability to do more EM rotations early. Assume for the purposes of my question I CAN'T do this rotation earlier in the season.

Much thanks to any helpful opinions. I'm really in a bind scheduling my audition season.

I don't think with good board scores that you will be locked out of all interviews, but it appears many (most?) programs require an away (or even two) before they will make the invitation. For the match list (in February) the SLOE will probably be read.

Do it earlier if you can possibly do so (no later than Sept) so it will be available in October when the programs work through the apps for invitations.

You are cutting it close, but nothing is set in stone until final rank lists are due, which is not till January/February.

Programs understand that it is hard to get rotations during those months, and will likely be approachable if you genuinely want to go to their program.

Getting a SLOE that late is pointless, if you end December 16 then with holidays and new year you probably won't get the SLOE until mid January when many programs are already formulating rank lists. It will also be way too late to help towards getting you interviews at other programs. Now doing a rotation that late is fine because if you crush it then you will have a good shot at ranking high at that program.

I would definitely work at getting your SLOE's by early to mid October latest. Your school should let you move things around, talk to them.