Late Start into M3 Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcat7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need your guidance. Here is my background: Finished M2 at a US allopathic school, below average grades throughout M1 and M2, never failed a class until the last block of M2 when I barely passed the class in my third try ( I was given 2 chances to re mediate). Took Practice NBME approximately 3 weeks ago and scored 200 after 1 pass through FA, Pathoma and approximately 80% of UW. My UW percent correct was 60%. I took a break from Step studying after the practice NBME (score 200) and studied for 3 weeks to re mediate my last block of M2. I am scheduled to take Step 1 in 15 days and I don't think I have enough time to prepare well. Going through 2 remediation exams in 3 weeks made me fall behind in step preparation.
I have 2 options available: 1) delay step 1 by 9 more days and start M3 right away after the exam or 2) Start M3 8 weeks late and get more time to prepare for step 1 ( I won't delay my exam by 8 weeks though but I have to wait 8 weeks to start M3)
I am looking to go into Psychiatry or Internal Medicine. Should I push myself really hard and take the exam in 3 weeks (no break between exam and M3 year) or start M3 late by 8 weeks? The school told me that by taking the 2nd option there is a possibility of not graduating on time. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a possibility of starting m3 rotations and taking exam after 8 weeks? You would need to have easier rotations though. I took Step 1 September of 3rd year. Had psych rotation for majority of study time - would get home around 3/4 and study until 10ish everyday. Was tough but doable. I had also taken Comlex Level 1 two months beforehand, so I had a good foundation.

Not sure if this is best for you, but maybe something to consider.

Is there a possibility of starting m3 rotations and taking exam after 8 weeks? You would need to have easier rotations though. I took Step 1 September of 3rd year. Had psych rotation for majority of study time - would get home around 3/4 and study until 10ish everyday. Was tough but doable. I had also taken Comlex Level 1 two months beforehand, so I had a good foundation.

Not sure if this is best for you, but maybe something to consider.
I will look into it. Not sure if my school will allow to start 3rd year without taking step 1.

Can you knock off some 4th year electives during your 8 week gap? I too started 3rd year 8 weeks late, but still squeezed in a radiology rotation and a community health rotation during that downtime so it wasn't all against my 8 weeks of vacation.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you knock off some 4th year electives during your 8 week gap? I too started 3rd year 8 weeks late, but still squeezed in a radiology rotation and a community health rotation during that downtime so it wasn't all against my 8 weeks of vacation.
Good suggestion! I will find out if there is any option like that available. Thank you so much.