Latest Article in Anesthesiology: "Burnout in Anesthesia"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TecmoBowl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys check that out?

Don't be too optimistic. It does not talk about the "burnout" amongst Anesthesiologists in general.

It talks about Academic Anesthesiologists- oh and only Chairpersons at that.

I wrote to one of the authors, asking how out of touch are these people?

In fact, this is the opportune moment for those among us who feel that the root of many of our field's problems lays within the halls of Academia to express this. Maybe they will see things in a different perspective.

Can they not open their eyes and see how much resentment exists towards such people who've sold out their own profession?

Anyways, discuss!

Members don't see this ad.

I started reading this article but when I figured out what it was about I quickly lost interest. I am sure burn out is an issue for most high powered executive/administrative positions but its hard for me to see the point of publishing this. I am sure they get burnt out, everybody does.

As for the disdain for academic anesthesiologists, I don't really get it. I know that typically they have not been that politically active, but honestly as a group anesthesiologists aren't the best at doing their share. What was the % of anesthesiologists who gave to the PAC last year. I don't know the exact number but its not great.

I started reading this article but when I figured out what it was about I quickly lost interest. I am sure burn out is an issue for most high powered executive/administrative positions but its hard for me to see the point of publishing this. I am sure they get burnt out, everybody does.

As for the disdain for academic anesthesiologists, I don't really get it. I know that typically they have not been that politically active, but honestly as a group anesthesiologists aren't the best at doing their share. What was the % of anesthesiologists who gave to the PAC last year. I don't know the exact number but its not great.

The % was not great... HOWEVER, I believe it was one of the best of any specialty. I saw that info floating around at my program somewhere. If I find the link I will post it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I give to my PAC annually. The CRNA PAC "encourages" or is it "takes" $$ for their PAC from their cadre?

I don't think there's disdain for Academic Anesthesiologists at all, not from me anyway.

We're all in similar boats with different types of turbulent waters.

I think on many other previous posts, one I remember is the Houston program that was advertising its TEE course for CRNAs- there is a palpable sense of having been "sold out" by the "leaders" in our profession who happen to be in the Academic setting for the most part.

It wasn't always this way. In fact, it's ironic that it was the "private" setting that STARTED the "sale" of our field.

But now, with the "CRNA mills" going full steam in the Academic setting, there is a sense of betrayal.

No matter Private or Academic, the motive always seems to be the same- $$$$$$$$$$$

Private groups don't hire MDs/DOs for $$$$. Academic programs have CRNA mills for $$$$$.

Stuck between rocks and hard places, are most of us.

Blame to be shared equally I suppose between Academia/Private groups.

I see what you are saying. I too don't understand why we train CRNA's to do anything but operate in an ACT model. I think anyone teaching them TEE or pain procedures shoud be kicked out of the ASA. The same goes for groups who leave SRNA's in the room by themselves. It's just beyond me. Unfortunately, I think the problem lies in both the private and academic sector.