Latest gimmick: Dr. Scholl's custom fit orthotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Podmeister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Scholl's Custom Orthotic Foot Mapping Machine: Is it Really Accurate?

I was watching TV one day and saw a commercial for Dr. Scholl's latest invention, a foot mapping device that will recognize the areas of your foot where you apply the most pressure. The device, which can be found in certain local stores, is billed as an "orthotic center", wherein customers' results will lead them to the proper orthotic shoe insert that is best for his or her foot. I must admit that although I don't have any specific foot problems, I was fascinated. During a stroll through Wal-Mart one day with a friend, I ran across one of these machines and simply couldn't resist putting the technology to the test.

What is it?

The machine looks like some kind of carnival game. Customers remove their shoes and step up onto the raised area. The platform itself contains 2,000 pressure sensors that can tell where you typically apply the most pressure when you're standing and walking. Based on a quick analysis, the machine then determines which of the 14 orthotic inserts you should probably be wearing for the most comfort.

How does it work?

To better gauge whether the kiosk would yield accurate results, I proposed a little experiment. My friend, who has much lower arches than I do (these low arches often cause her feet some discomfort) decided to give the machine a try as well. I went first, removing my sneakers and stepping onto the platform.

Dr. Scholl's Foot Mapping center is equipped with two balancing handles on each side. As I placed my feet in the designated outlined areas, I was instructed to lean forward until the yellow dot lined up inside the circle shown on the screen. I was then instructed to alternately lift one foot and then the other. The areas of my foot where I exerted the most pressure were lit up in red, with the lowest pressure areas being shown in blue. It was determined that my arch was fairly standard. And I was directed to the appropriate orthotic insert.

It was then my buddy's turn to step onto the carnival-style kiosk. She followed the instructions and the machine illustrated that she had pretty low arches, and advised her to purchase Dr. Scholl's CF440 orthotic insert. We both had to admit that we were pretty impressed with the

analysis. The results were spot on.

Is Dr. Scholl's Foot Mapping machine really worth the "effort"?

Considering that my friend's low arches cause her a good deal of discomfort when walking for long periods of time, she found the machine to be a big help. Then, we both checked out the $50 price tag for the products that we saw. Suddenly, I began to wonder whether the machine was merely a gimmick, designed to convince the public to buy pricey shoe inserts that they could probably "make" at home.

But if you really take a closer look at how these orthotics are individually designed, you'll see that they seem pretty intricate. According to the website, there are three main layers of support, with the most intense being the "CradleFlex" system. Additionally, according to one's specific foot mapping results, the gel shock absorbers are placed in precise areas to absorb the pressure.

People who suffer from extreme foot pain might save themselves a trip to the podiatrist by using this nifty device. And ultimately, they might actually save themselves money buy choosing a product that can be purchased in stores instead of acquiring prescribed drugs or supplies. Did either of us purchase any of the orthotics? Nope. (The $50 price tag was somewhat of a diversion from the toilet paper and light bulbs I came to Wal-Mart to purchase.) But I will admit that the concept does seem to make sense. Try Dr. Scholl's Foot Mapping machine, and see for yourself...
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2312163/dr_scholls_custom_orthotic_foot_mapping.html?cat=5

Picture of the device.
http://www.footmapping.com/

Members don't see this ad.

I saw this same TV commercial during football last weekend... sure wish I'd have though of this (and collected the royalties). It's pretty darn smart, and there will definitely be a market here. I'd imagine that its scanner/products are not on the same level as the the TOG stuff, but I'm sure it's close. I'd happily send pts to use these DrSchool machines if I can find the places in my area that have them, and I'll be curious to see if it helps them.

EBM doesn't really support $250+ custom devices for initial treatment of most common stuff IMO, and I really liked, and agree 100% with, this older post about how the magic scoops can sometimes undermine your Dr-pt relationship. Right now, I often send clinic pts to the sporting goods stores for $20-30 motion control / arch support insoles if they have early PTTD, fasciitis, or planus. I also send them for accomodative / cushioning insoles if they have metatarsalgia, cavus, etc. I'm often disappointed when they come back with the wrong kind or nothing at all since they couldn't decipher the many choices available. If these new machines can take most of the pt guesswork out, then all the better.

For anyone who says, "it's gonna steal too much of our business," I'd say you're probably more of an orthotic/shoe salesman than a doc in that case. There will still be plenty of pathologies that need custom devices casted/made/fitted/modified by DPMs and pedorthists (severe deformities, post-ops, DM offloading, peds deformities, brachymet, neuro conditions, etc). Will these hurt SuperFeet's business? Oh yeah. Should affect DPMs who are well trained medically and surgically? Not really.

It would be nice if the Dr Scholl Corp supports podiatric educational meetings, research, etc with some of their proceeds, though.

These are a joke. I've already had patients in my office that have purchased these products with no benefit. A patient is much better off buying a higher quality product such as PowerSteps which provide a "guarantee" of comfort and lifetime guarantee against breakage, for less money. Additionally, the owner of the company is a DPM that gives $$$ back to the podiatric medical schools.

I prefer PowerSteps to SuperFeet, but both of these products are superior to the Dr. Scholl garbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are a joke. I've already had patients in my office that have purchased these products with no benefit. A patient is much better off buying a higher quality product such as PowerSteps which provide a "guarantee" of comfort and lifetime guarantee against breakage, for less money. Additionally, the owner of the company is a DPM that gives $$$ back to the podiatric medical schools.

I prefer PowerSteps to SuperFeet, but both of these products are superior to the Dr. Scholl garbage.
That is good to know... maybe tell pts to use the Scholl scanner to get their foot type but then buy PowerSteps or Spenco for better quality product?

I really don't believe in these "scanners". Additionally, the Dr. Scholl scanner will have no relevance to a competitors product. In my opinion, Dr. Scholl really makes no true supportive products. Every product that they make that I've ever held in my hand provides minimal support that collapses when really compressed.

All of their products feel great............for about 10 minutes. That's because they have lots of cushions. If you place marshmallows in your shoes they will also feel good.......for about 10 minutes.

Most of these scanners are two dimensional, but unless I'm wrong, our feet are three dimensional. So pressure mats simply use data analysis to "assume" our arch heights, etc.

For example, you and I can step on a flat pressure mat and it may show that we both show a cold spot or no pressure below our arch. However, it can not determine whether you have an arch that is 1 inch higher than my arch or 1/4 inch higher than my arch. It can only determine that there is pressure in that spot or no pressure. The problem with 2 dimensional scanners is that they use this data against other "models" to place your foot into the data base to "match" other feet.

However, on a two dimensional mat, feet that in reality differ greatly can look the same as per my example.

The only way to really "map" a foot is via a three dimensional scanner.

The bottom line is that this is another way to rip off the public. Since they have now added some bells and whistles, people are too "simple" to realize that they are STILL getting an off the shelf product out of a box, despite the "custom" fit of the machine.

Over my many years of practice, I've learned one fact about Dr. Scholl products, particularly their insoles/inserts/"orthotics"........no one I ever met purchases them twice.

Over my many years of practice, I've learned one fact about Dr. Scholl products, particularly their insoles/inserts/"orthotics"........no one I ever met purchases them twice.

I registered just because I wanted to comment on this from a personal perspective.

About 20 years ago I was referred to a podiatrist by my family doctor. I was 10 years old at the time. After everything we found that I had issues with my growth plates in both feet resulting in low arches. My left leg is also 1cm shorter than my right. Long story short, they recommended OTC Dr Scholl's orthotics. There weren't a ton of options at the time really, but I have been wearing a Dr. Scholl's product nearly everyday for the last 20 years. I've tried just about every other OTC product out there (obviously not everything) and truth be told, the Dr Scholl's products have worked for me the best. The arch support has gone down a bit over the years, which has been disappointing, but this latest "gimmick" has been my absolute favorite, so far, out of everything over the years. I've been wearing them for the last month and have absolutely loved them. My arches haven't felt this good in a long time.

First of all, this forum is not a forum for "anecdotal" stories of someone's individual failure or success with a particular treatment or product.

It isn't a "chat room".

Secondly, there will ALWAYS be exceptions. I don't deal with the "one or two" exceptions, I deal with my experience after treating thousands and thousands of patients over a career greater than 20 years.

Many years ago, I had a patient that blessed me and told me I was the best doctor on earth because I cured ALL her pains with the custom orthoses I made and dispensed for her. She was in my office for a check up to see how she was doing. Well, when I looked in her shoes, the orthoses were in the WRONG shoes (the right orthosis was in the left shoe, and vice versa!!). So that was an "exception" and that was obviously wrong. Was I supposedly to now tell ALL my patients to wear their orthoses reversed because THIS patient had tremendous success???

Similarly, I had a patient a few years ago that came to me for a non related complaint, and I noticed something odd in her shoes. When I inquired, she told me she wears Kotex maxi-pads in her shoes for her "foot pain" and her feet never felt better. She said she was at several DPM's and orthopedic surgeons and tried "every" OTC and custom product and none worked.

So does that mean I should now recommend my patients start wearing Kotex maxi-pads in their shoes??? (I'm sure they're very absorbent)

My point is that I'm glad these Dr. Scholl products work for you. If I felt that were of any value, I'd be happy to recommend them. However, I believe it's safe to say that approximately 70% of the patients that enter my office with foot pain have already tried at least two Dr. Scholl products with no relief. And I can also say that I often look through the Dr. Scholl product line when in the pharmacy or grocery store, and they currently make NO "orthoses" or foot insert that I recommend. NONE.

There are much better OTC alternatives for my patients, and that's based on "only" 20+ years of experience in a very busy practice.

I would like to begin by saying that though I am currently a nurse practitioner student, I have had many years of valuable experience with patients as a nurse. The attitude with which you have addressed the previous poster is the attitude that turns many people away from discussing issues with their physician. You have not only single-handedly disregarded the opinion of a consumer, you have also insulted his intellegence by writing his recommendation off as a "chat room" comment. You should be happy that he is looking at this forum to read up on issues that are pertinent to him. I respect your "twenty years" in a busy practice but your blatant disregard for this consumer's comment makes me curious as to if you actually listen to your patients at all, which discredits your post to as little to me as a "chat room" comment. Though not all of your patients have had success with the inserts, this consumer did making your incredibly insulting survey of the products invalid for the percentage that they would work for. This consumer was simply interested in correcting your misperception of the inserts as entirely useless. I challenge you to consider that before posting a nasty reply to a consumer again. Find your compassion, it's clearly missing in the online format and possibly more.

First of all,this is NOT, a "chat room", and the intended target is not the "consumer". It is for health professionals, health professional students, etc.

If you re-read my post, I also stated that I was happy that the product worked for this patient.

I am a very strong consumer advocate, and take plenty of time to listen to my patients. I didn't build an extremely successful practice by being rude to patients or not listening to their questions or concerns. So thanks for the "practice management" tips, but I've done pretty well in that department.

On the contrary, if you truly comprehended my post, you would understand that nothing bothers me more than my patients spending and/or wasting their hard earned money on useless products. If I believed a particualar product was beneficial, I would be more than happy to recommend that product.

As stated in my post, approximately 70% of the patients that enter my office with heel pain have alreaddy "wasted" their money on at least one Dr. Scholl product with no relief. To me, that's a staggering number.

In your past and future career, you will hopefully guide your patients away from treatments that are either harmful or those that are a "rip-off" and costing them money and are generally of no value.

Yes, there will ALWAYS be exceptions. But after over 20 years of a busy practice I believe I'm qualified to form an opinion on this matter.

And since this is a medical forum, and NOT a "chat room", I felt it was my obligation to comment on one poster's "anecdotal" experience vs. my experience treating literally thousands of patients with the same condition over 20 years.

I would like to begin by saying that though I am currently a nurse practitioner student, I have had many years of valuable experience with patients as a nurse. The attitude with which you have addressed the previous poster is the attitude that turns many people away from discussing issues with their physician.
Quite the opposite. As a patient, it is attitudes like his that makes me *want* to discuss issues with the doctor. I don't want fluff talk or "well Bob down the street has a sister who's boyfriend uncle's friend had success with so and so." I want to know what works for most and I want a non-bs doctor who will be straight up with me.

This consumer was simply interested in correcting your misperception of the inserts as entirely useless.

There's no misperception to correct. Some online person with one post (for all we know could be a company rep) is not enough to magically change his perception. His perception has been established in the *real world* through interaction with endless patients and their feedback.

You have not only single-handedly disregarded the opinion of a consumer, you have also insulted his intellegence by writing his recommendation off as a "chat room" comment.

I challenge you to consider that before posting a nasty reply to a consumer again. Find your compassion, it's clearly missing in the online format and possibly more.

Nasty? Insulting his intelligence? You are being overly sensitive. There is nothing 'nasty' or 'insulting' about the post. However, I find you to be incredibly disrespectful for writing what you did after an *expert* on the subject gave us his professional opinion. You can't question PADPM's compassion for his patients. Disaggreing or stating a different viewpoint is one thing. But you made personal attacks. You should be ashamed of yourself for coming into a professional forum and questioning the compassion of a doctor who is known by this online community for his extreme compassion for his patients.

Is it a gimmick to offer a decent product at such a low price?

To help people with foot pain for a decent price?

I find nothing wrong of gimmicky of about these.

In fact, I hope more people buy them.

Is it a gimmick to offer a decent product at such a low price?

To help people with foot pain for a decent price?

I find nothing wrong of gimmicky of about these.

In fact, I hope more people buy them.

Utilizing a 2-D mapping machine to capture a 3-D anatomical structure? Pretty expensive pre-fabs I must say.

Members don't see this ad :)

Whiskers,

In between your posts trashing podiatry and attempting to annoy everyone, why don't you re-read my post above. I have no problem what-so-ever with a quality over-the-counter product. However, I don't consider these Dr. Scholl products a "quality" product or I'd be more than happy to have patients purchase these products.

Unfortunately, too many of my patients have already wasted their hard earned money on useless Dr. Scholl products, when they could have used that money for much better alternatives, including the products I mentioned above, BOTH of which are less expensive and of much higher quality and much more efficacious.

This product IS a gimmic, it is generally not effective and it is ridiculously over priced, not a "decent" price. The products above such as PowerSteps (my personal preference) and Superfeet are not a gimmic, provide many patients with significant relief and are less expensive. Seems like a "no brainer" to me.

First, I would like to say that it would seems to me, that someone who was using a product and very happy with it, would seldom search for the product review of that product on the internet. Thus someone running around commenting on such products may (and I say, may) have other priorities.

Second, while I have no need for such a product, I was curious as to its effectiveness. I saw a commercial, and who knows if someone else can use such a product.

That said, I found the attitude of certain posters, toward the consumer posting, pretty condescending. (not to name names)

Sure this forum may be for health professionals; but that health is the health of consumers. Part of being a good professional is listening to and recognizing the cares and concerns of the people you treat. As such, the consumers results should not be dismissed (even if suspicious), due to "only" 20 years of experience, but rather included in that experience. It's a new product, and all viewpoints should be included.

I think a lesson can be learned here, that can be especially applied to treating persons. Everyone is different, and patients are each different. It is of course a huge benefit, to have an experienced health professional; however one should not dismiss a consumer's comments because of experience. Products change (as do the times).

On a more personal level, I find this attitude mostly in the health profession. I don't see things like this happening, well, in any other industry. I haven't seen an automotive engineer comment to a consumer like that. I haven't seen a pilot tell a passenger anything like that. Finally, if I come across any heath professional who brings up their experience, no matter how vast, while dismissing my comment or observation as improbable, as supposed a reasonable fact, a test result, or observable reason, I quickly find another.

But hey, what do I know.

I always find it amusing when someone "won't mention the name", but has no problem using a direct quote.

I once again have no idea if you are a health professional, health student or a "consumer", but can assure you that I do not need practice management advice.

This is not a private practice, it is a forum for medical professionals and/or future medical professionals. Period.

When one of "my" patients enters one of my offices, I am not aware of any other doctor that takes the amount of time I do to educate my patients. If a patient walks in with a product that I don't believe works, I don't "scold" my patients, but I do spend time educating my patients, BASED on my 20+ years of experience. Patients can then make their own decisions.

My goal is to help patients to the best of my ability and prevent my patients from spending money on products I believe are useless. I know and understand the foot and ankle better than the consumer. And I know the products that are available. When a product such as the one in question hits the market, I examine the product prior to forming an opinion.

I purchase the product and have a sample of just about every product you can imagine in my office to show patients.

There will ALWAYS be a patient that has success with some product, and if that's the case, I will never tell or recommend the patient discontinue that product.

But that is not the scenario in this post. We had a consumer telling us how great a product is, and my comments were simple. First of all I commented on the fact that this is not a "chat forum" for consumers, and second I commented that one anecdotal case does not make the efficacy of a product valid vs. the experience of doctors with over 20 years of experience treating thousands of patients.

Believe me, I know how to speak with patients and treat patients diplomatically or I would not be part of one of the most successful practices in this country.

So re-read my original post and maybe this time you'll actually understand that my best interest IS the consumer.

Last edited:
I think the main point of these users is that you speak in a condescending way to people. I understand that you have had a successful practice for 20 years, but you have done that in spite of your way of communicating. Imagine how successful your practice (and personal life) would be if you communicated with people in a respectful way.

It is important to be humble enough to receive criticism and respond to it appropriately.

if I come across any heath professional who brings up their experience, no matter how vast, while dismissing my comment or observation as improbable, as supposed a reasonable fact, a test result, or observable reason, I quickly find another.

Good plan! The absolute last thing you want is a competent, experienced physician answering your questions and/or correcting your improbable "observations".

Good plan! The absolute last thing you want is a competent, experienced physician answering your questions and/or correcting your improbable "observations".
Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmm what a coincidence that the last couple users supporting greenal6's views have just 1 post, even a similar style of writing with headers. Pathetic indeed.

But ofcourse they will write back denying this *waiting....waiting...Milton Bradley line about to come....waiting....*

approximately 70% of the patients that enter my office with foot pain have already tried at least two Dr. Scholl products with no relief.

Well, sure. Even if you said 99% of them already tried it, that doesn't show facts on the general population at large and that these actually might work robustly.

As in, why would anyone go to your office WITHOUT heel pain looking for orthos to FIX heel pain? That doesn't mean they're garbage.

I think the main point of these users is that you speak in a condescending way to people. I understand that you have had a successful practice for 20 years, but you have done that in spite of your way of communicating. Imagine how successful your practice (and personal life) would be if you communicated with people in a respectful way.

It is important to be humble enough to receive criticism and respond to it appropriately.

Do you know PADPM personally? I am pretty sure that PADPM has some people skills. You can't succeed without them. I am sure PADPM appreciates your advice for success in his personal life too. Why is everyone joining this forum just to defend some dr. scholl product? Curious... hmmm...

... approximately 70% of the patients that enter my office with heel pain have alreaddy "wasted" their money on at least one Dr. Scholl product with no relief....
Let's see if I got this right; 70% of those with heel pain failed to observe relief after using a single Dr. Scholl product, therefore all Dr. Scholl products are a waste of money for all patients?

Actually, there is worse logic than that which relies on anecdotal evidence. I can think of at least one example.

(Yeah, you do sound undeservedly uppity and a bit condescending.)

I bought Dr. Scholl's orthotics (ridiculous prices) and also their other foot supports and I have to say they didn't work for me. Maybe I have another condition than others but the cushions Dr. Scholls use is too pillowy for my feet. When I stand they may feel fine, but when I sit down for awhile then get up, my feet are in terrible pain and I believe it is because the orthotics don't give enough support and the pillowy - almost marshmallow feel, gives my feet more pain in the long run although I am not sure why.

Ironically if I wear harder shoes, I experience less pain and I have flat feet. I also don't like that the pillowy supports are thick which causes my feet to be squeezed into my shoes and then my toes hurt because they don't have enough room. I bought bigger shoes only to feel my feet wallowing around rubbing my back heel. Dr. Scholls is not for me. I think the doctor with 20 plus years knows what he is saying. I am happy for the person who wears Dr. Scholls and is having comfort with them, but it doesn't work for me.

I am not a doctor but from my own experience of years with foot pain, solid support is the best thing for feet. Not gel filled, pillowy marshmallows. They may feel good for awhile but in the long run, I see more foot pain. I think, especially for flat feet people, solid arch support is crucial and I think Dr. Scholls is all about feeling mashed potatoes under your feet. I feel my shoes look like clown shoes in order for my feet not to feel cramped up in order to wear the orthotics. My two cents.

Last edited:
"merroh","cheef", "kfeet", and "mjacobs",

You can all rest at ease and be assured that I'm far from condescending in my practice, and once again do not need your advice regarding practice management tips in the office or out of the office.

When any of you have achieved the level of success I have, then we'll talk. My success didn't occur as a coincidence, nor did it occur by treating patients poorly, speaking with them in a condescending attitude or any other garbage you've thrown my way.

I can assure you that my patients receive the highest quality of care available, and I don't have to justify anything to you, and especially the way I practice, which has certainly proven to be more than successful.

And kfeet, while you're busy misquoting me, I stated that about 70% of the patients that enters my office with heel pain have tried at least TWO Dr. Scholl's products...... However, you then went on to extrapolate that just because that's the case, I shouldn't jump to the conclusion that "all" Dr. Scholl products are of no value. However, that's not how I came to my conclusion. I have formed my opinion on "only" 20+ years of practice and seeing, touching and feeling just about every product that Dr. Scholl makes. I actually have samples of every Dr. Scholl insole/arch support, etc., IN MY OFFICE as well as the majority of the other Dr. Scholl products so I can show patients why I don't recommend the products. It's from years and years of hearing patients complaints and failures and my examination of these products, etc. And I do believe that this gives me the right and ability to form a relatively qualified opinion based on more than one anecdotal experience.

So go find some other forum to criticize.....one that may actually care about what you have to say. It's really pitiful. Do you have any other friends, family members or new screen names to add another post?

Last edited:
I just think PADPM was being honest in his responses. I don't understand the bickering from people on a doctor giving his opinion but anyway, I feel the supports from Dr. Scholl's are not adequate for flat feet. For those who have arches, maybe they do provide comfort, I don't know, but for someone like me, totally flat footed, they are painful. I go rid of my orthotics from Dr. Scholl's. I was just reading how not having good arch supports cause foot pain. Here is the article:
http://wcco.com/health/uggs.boots.feet.2.906507.html
I know that arch support is the key to getting rid of pain for people with flat feet. I am not a rocket scientist, but it isn't rocket science to know good solid arch support is the way to stop or reduce foot pain with people who have flat feet and I personally feel Dr. Scholl's doesn't offer that solid support.

I found this quote and it is EXACTLY what I believe - People mistake comfort for support. Comfort is fool's gold.
"I'll get people with strained arches because they've been running around in Crocs for five days," said Arnold Ravick, a doctor of podiatric medicine in Washington, D.C., and a spokesman for the American Podiatric Medical Association. "When it comes to shoes, people mistake comfort for support. Comfort is fool's gold—a soft gushy shoe that makes your arches collapse," he told me. "

Last edited:
This thread has to have the record for the most first-posts ever. If I still had my kung fu skills I'd look up the IP addresses of each first-poster to see if they're all coming from the same place.

This thread has to have the record for the most first-posts ever. If I still had my kung fu skills I'd look up the IP addresses of each first-poster to see if they're all coming from the same place.

They all check out except for a couple that have already been dealt with.

The exchange between PADPM and everyone has been quite interesting.

I went to WalMart and tested out the machine to make sure it would reproduce its own results. I went through the process, walked the store for five minutes and tried it again. It gave me the same results both times which made me feel a little better about it. They didnt have my CF number in stock so I went home and googled this subject because I wanted some opinions on the Custom Fits before I made a purchase.

I found PADPM's information to be straightforward. Based on his experience I decided to take his "free advice" and purchase a set of Powerstep Originals. I was impressed by the precise sizing of that product. I have tried a lot of "one size fits all" store brands with little success. Anyway, the Powersteps feel great and I can stand and walk much longer without discomfort. Thanks PADPM. If some people don't care for your demeanor, that's their issue. They probably didn't like the taste of their medicine as kids either. Thanks again for your frank advice.

70% of the customers who come into my Ford dealership have already tried at least two Hondas and found them unsatisfying.

Valid generalizations that can be drawn about Hondas from this information? None.

I think that's what a couple of the other noobs were getting at...

70% of the customers who come into my Ford dealership have already tried at least two Hondas and found them unsatisfying.

Valid generalizations that can be drawn about Hondas from this information? None.

The difference is PADPM is not the sales person...he is the engineer. He is basing his "generalization" on extensive knowledge of the foot & ankle...not anecdotes.

There is absolutely no validity to your "analogy". I've stated it over and over again if you anyone would actually take the time to read the text of my posts and not one sentence.

In addition to the fact that those patients have tried and failed with those products, I have also inspected those products and found them to be inferior and useless, based on my knowledge, expertise and experience.

Whether or not a CUSTOMER finds a Honda "unsatisfying" has nothing to do with it's usefulness, quality or value. As a car "expert", would you state that the Honda product is inferior or useless????

The comparison is simply not valid.

I'm basing my decision on MY evaluation of the product, in addition to the fact that it hasn't worked for the patient, not simply that the patient wasnt' thrilled with the styling, etc.

Believe me, I "get it", but apparently those that read my post don't.

There is absolutely no validity to your "analogy".
Besides, since when do Honda customers cross-shop Ford? Nissan, Toyota, Subaru maybe, but Ford? No way.

You forgot Mazda. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

Ironically, I treated two new patients today that both entered with a pair of the "new" Dr. Scholl inserts in hand. Both patients were sold after seeing the commercial on TV and going to Walmart. They were extremely impressed with the bells and whistles of the machine, and the impression that they were receiving some form of "custom" device (though they come out of a plastic box).

Both patients obtained no relief with the product. That does not bother me, since many patients don't obtain relief with expensive custom orthoses.

What does bother me is that both patients had extremely different feet and gait patterns, yet the "orthoses" were relatively similar, though the colors were different.

Both contained a VERY flimsy plastic "shell" that collapsed/crushed between my two fingers, and provided ZERO support and ZERO control. They shell was surrounded by a gel like cushioning material. And that was the entire product.

This cost $50. A product that provides ZERO support, ZERO control and I was able to completely crush with two fingers.

As an alternative, the patient could have purchased a pair of PowerSteps, which have a polypropylene shell, similar to a custom orthosis and are based on molds/models of averages of true orthoses. They provide true support and mild motion control, and have a lifetime guarantee against breakage, etc. Superfeet are made of a firm plastic, provide significant support, mild motion control, etc., and BOTH products are less than $50.

From my comparision to the products on the market (and I have at least 250 various samples of products in my office), I would estimate that the Dr. Scholl product I have seen, felt and examined in person should sell for no more than $15-$20 maximum, and even at that price, I see no use for the product. There are much better alternatives.

It amazes me how so many of you can bash a doctor who is skilled in his/her profession. You realize, people, that PADPM is an EXPERT in this field. I will take PADPM's advice pertaining to "orthoses" selection over 99.9% of the general population. I have flat feet and have been looking for a custom "orthoses" for quite some time. I too have seen the Dr. Scholl's commercial and, quite honestly, have been very tempted to try it out. However, after reading what PADPM has to say, I will look to get my hands on a pair of PowerSteps "orthoses" soon. I'll post an update on my personal experience.

PharmEXP,

Thank you for your "support", though those that criticize me simply haven't thoroughly read my posts. If they did, they would understand that patient care is my primary concern, and if I felt that Dr. Scholl products were worth purchasing, I'd be happy to recommend the products.

However, I hate to see my patients spending their hard earned money on products that I believe are of little or no value, especially when there are much better options available.

Please remember that although PowerSteps are a quality product, these are still on over-the-counter product and are certainly not a "custom made orthoses". Therefore, they may not be the right product for you, and may not be able to replace a true custom orthosis if that's what you need.

But PowerSteps are certainly a much better and higher quality alternative than any product that Dr. Scholl presently makes, and I AM aware of the complete product line.

PharmEXP,

Thank you for your "support", though those that criticize me simply haven't thoroughly read my posts. If they did, they would understand that patient care is my primary concern, and if I felt that Dr. Scholl products were worth purchasing, I'd be happy to recommend the products.

However, I hate to see my patients spending their hard earned money on products that I believe are of little or no value, especially when there are much better options available.

Please remember that although PowerSteps are a quality product, these are still on over-the-counter product and are certainly not a "custom made orthoses". Therefore, they may not be the right product for you, and may not be able to replace a true custom orthosis if that's what you need.

But PowerSteps are certainly a much better and higher quality alternative than any product that Dr. Scholl presently makes, and I AM aware of the complete product line.

I am not really sure what I need, to be quite honest. A friend of mine and I were talking about our flat feet (don't ask me why) and he went on to tell me how purchasing orthotics for his flat feet was the best investment he has ever made. So, I decided to give it a try.

Initially, I was going to go with Dr. Scholls simply because I did not know any better... I'm glad I came across this thread! I must admit, the cushion/marshmallow feel is very comfortable, but I think I am looking for something that offers more support.

I am buying a pair of PowerSteps right now, as a matter of fact. :thumbup:

Please remember that the term "orthotics" is really used VERY loosely now, and Dr. Scholl's really does not make any true "orthoses"/orthotics. They basically make shoe inserts and insoles.

I'm not sure if your friend had his/her orthoses custom made by a DPM, but once again you must remember that PowerSteps are an over-the-counter product fabricated for an "average" foot, and therefore may not be tolerated by someone with a very flat foot or high arched foot.

That's why self treatment isn't always the best choice, and an evaluation prior to purchasing any product may be the wiser decision. If you don't find relief with the PowerSteps, custom orthoses may be necessary depending on your foot type, biomechanical needs, etc.

Please remember that the term "orthotics" is really used VERY loosely now, and Dr. Scholl's really does not make any true "orthoses"/orthotics. They basically make shoe inserts and insoles.

I'm not sure if your friend had his/her orthoses custom made by a DPM, but once again you must remember that PowerSteps are an over-the-counter product fabricated for an "average" foot, and therefore may not be tolerated by someone with a very flat foot or high arched foot.

That's why self treatment isn't always the best choice, and an evaluation prior to purchasing any product may be the wiser decision. If you don't find relief with the PowerSteps, custom orthoses may be necessary depending on your foot type, biomechanical needs, etc.

I understand. My plan is to try out the PowerSteps insoles and if I am not satisfied, I will consult a podiatrist.

Thank you for your insight.

hello everyone. I'm a medical student and i noticed the other day that my mom had an abnormal gait. the way she walked looked like her lower legs were curved out and she was externally rotating her feet when she walked. She's in her mid 60's and i don't want this abnormal gait affecting her ability to walk a few years down the road.

I know that the best thing would be to see a podiatrist but I would like to try an orthotic first. Are the Powersteps able to fix gait abnormalities or is it only for comfort?

thanks!

thats nice but how about a reply to my question...

The PowerSteps are an over the counter "orthotic", but I'm not sure it can fix a "gait abnormality" as per your question. But naturally, without examining your mother or any other patient, I couldn't make that judgement.

That being said, you already know that the best choice is to visit a DPM, but you can certainly try a pair of PowerSteps to see if it helps your mom's symptoms. If the PowerSteps help, that's great. If not, please then take the next step and get proper care and a professional evaluation as you would for any other medical condition.

This machine is just an over-priced, hi-tech Harris Mat!

Yes, OTC orthotics will work for some, and yes, they may not work for others, there are so many factors to take into consideration.

/thread

I would like to begin by saying that though I am currently a nurse practitioner student, I have had many years of valuable experience with patients as a nurse. The attitude with which you have addressed the previous poster is the attitude that turns many people away from discussing issues with their physician. You have not only single-handedly disregarded the opinion of a consumer, you have also insulted his intellegence by writing his recommendation off as a "chat room" comment. You should be happy that he is looking at this forum to read up on issues that are pertinent to him. I respect your "twenty years" in a busy practice but your blatant disregard for this consumer's comment makes me curious as to if you actually listen to your patients at all, which discredits your post to as little to me as a "chat room" comment. Though not all of your patients have had success with the inserts, this consumer did making your incredibly insulting survey of the products invalid for the percentage that they would work for. This consumer was simply interested in correcting your misperception of the inserts as entirely useless. I challenge you to consider that before posting a nasty reply to a consumer again. Find your compassion, it's clearly missing in the online format and possibly more.

I also have a successful practice and have never felt the need to resort to feeding my ego by belittling other human beings. Good luck with your studies. (Maybe one day I'll "hit the jackpot" and build my practice to the point where I, too, can concentrate exclusively on billing people who wear maxi pads in their shoes and can't figure out which is their right foot.)

I also have a successful practice and have never felt the need to resort to feeding my ego by belittling other human beings. Good luck with your studies. (Maybe one day I'll "hit the jackpot" and build my practice to the point where I, too, can concentrate exclusively on billing people who wear maxi pads in their shoes and can't figure out which is their right foot.)

Nice attempt at a "cheap shot" doctor, but apparently you have a significant problem with reading comprehension, or you simply decided to pick and choose which comments you decided to selectively "edit" out of context.

I sincerely resent the fact that you infer that my practice ethics are anything but the highest standards. That's a path you don't want to go down and line you don't want to cross.

If you would take the time to read my post, I stated that a patient came to my office for a CHECK UP and the patient was wearing the orthoses in the wrong shoes. I don't know about YOUR billing practices, but I do NOT charge patients for "check ups".

You then decided to comment on also looking forward to the day when you also can bill for patients coming to your office with "maxi-pads" in their shoes. Once AGAIN, if you read the post CORRECTLY you will see that I said I noticed that when I was treating the patient for a non-related condition.

But you completely missed my point. That point was that as I'm sure you have noticed in your practice, patients can have relief from a plethora of devices/treatments, but that doesn't necessarily make that a "valid" treatment for all patients that you would continue to recommend.

The bottom line is that my post has/had nothing to do with ego, attitude, etc. I simply care about my patients and hate to see them wasting their money on products that I consider a waste of money. And if you once again read my posts, I HAVE seen and evaluated every Dr. Scholl product on the market and do not believe they are of value, and believe there are much better options.

I am not coming on this site telling patients they need to purchase expensive custom orthoses. As a matter of fact, I prescribe the least amount of custom orthoses in our large group practice, and actually treat the greatest number of athletes and heel pain patients.

I'm a strong proponent of PowerSteps (and have no financial relationship with the company, though I wish I did).

It's easy for you to come on here and insult me with your anonymous post, etc. But why don't you actually read my post and the constructive comments I've made and WHY I've made the decision I have regarding the use of the Dr. Scholl products.

If you advocate the use of these products for your patients, it simply reflects the quality, or lack of quality care you provide.

I also find it ironic that on a search of this site I don't remember seeing you contributing any or many educational/helpful tips to the younger members which would certainly be beneficial since you TOO are a "very successful" practitioner.

PADPM has been one of the most honest posters I have come across on this site. He has always been professional and does not appear to have a hidden agenda like others. I sincerely believe the younger DPMs and students have benefited from his input. In fact I have considered leaving this site with the obvious nay sayers, surgeon haters, and podiatry bashers. However, I can see we need more people like PADPM who care about the profession, have been around the block, and are not afraid to speak the truth.
Thanks PADPM!

Thanks for the kind words. I was also contemplating leaving this site, but then remembered that there are several students and residents that are appreciative and those that definitely "get" what we discuss and post.

I often receive private messages confirming those facts. Therefore, if I was to leave, basically the "bad guys" would win and I'm not a quitter. As long as I believe there are students and residents that may benefit, I will continue to post when I believe I can help.

There are times outside of this site where our profession really needs help and the "bad apples" need to be removed. I just returned home from the O.R. and during one of my cases, the 2nd year resident was telling me how impressed she was with one of the attendings who performs a LOT of subtalar arthroreisis procedures, and how he discusses how much money he gets paid for performing this relatively simple and quick procedure.

I attempted to remain diplomatic, but informed the resident that there is a very specific "code" to bill this procedure, but there is NO insurance company in our geographic area that pays for this code since it's considered "experimental". I informed her that many doctors get "creative" in their billing, which is not "kosher", since insurance companies require you to bill the MOST ACCURATE code available. Just because a particular code is not covered, doesn't give a doctor the right to bill a different code or become creative to "make it covered".

I said the proper way it to bill the "right" code and submit a letter and/or operative report for review in an attempt to obtain payment.

She told me that he said he bills for a synovectomy of the sinus tarsi with an implant (?) or bills for a subtalar arthrodesis with a modifier for a "reduced service".

I told her that it was ironic that he would bill for a synovectomy for this procedure, since I never remove the contents of the sinus tarsi when I perform this surgery, I simply release the ligament to prevent the implant from backing out. Secondly, it is NOT a reduced service arthrodesis, since there is absolutely NO fusion taking place.

I didn't tell her, but in my opinion this is simply a case of fraud. Creating scenarios to get paid. And the sad part is that these residents don't know any better and look up to this doctor and admire him for his "business" knowledge and financial success.

THAT'S why I continue to participate on this site. Hopefully, doctors like the two of us will have some influence on enough young doctors to practice ethically and provide the highest quality of care.

Status
Not open for further replies.