Latest mcat for this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the golden rule @LizzyM uses is that if the MCAT is past May, it's too late for the current cycle.

I think July 8th is a little late, but it depends on the rest of your application. I would personally aim for the June 18th MCAT. AMCAS usually verifies applications by the 1st of July so it won't put you too far back.

Members don't see this ad :)
June is probably the latest you'd want to try. Ideally May but June works.

Taking the MCAT beyond mid June would probably be considered late for the application cycle. If you were to take the MCAT in mid June, you would have to prepare your AMCAS primary application between now and then, and submit for verification shortly after your MCAT so that you can be verified by the time your MCAT score is released in July. That way, you can use your MCAT score to designate the rest of your schools.

As Gonnif pointed out, take the MCAT when you are ready even if it means waiting to apply until next year. Take the MCAT once and don't rush it.

My concern is the rushed nature of doing this way. It may not be the best conditions for an applicant to take the exam like this. Remember multiple MCAT ending in a good score is worse than fewer MCATs with a good score as the last. So take it because you feel ready and not because you feel rushed that "you have" apply this cycle. July 8th isnt too late but it has a cascade affect for a weak candidate. Not knowing the rest of your application, its hard to say what is best. I would also advise against the "AMCAS with throwaway 1 school" idea to get your stuff verified. It takes time to write a solid AMCAS and that takes time away from MCAT prep.

BTW, I call this the "summer MCAT cascade." You took an exam and suddenly you want to take another , which delays AMCAS, which delays schools seeing you, etc.

All in all, its much better to take a breath and seriously considering how solid you are, how much a late application will hurt, and what is the risk of being a reapplicant with multiple MCAT scores.

Thanks for your feedback! I voided the exam today because I did not feel that it was my best performance and did not feel confident during the exam. I am planning on taking the July 8th exam (since June 2nd is just too soon) and being complete at schools on August 9th (i'm going to prewrite everything and send it in when I get my score)

My gpa is 3.64 and I'll also have a first author publication by July in a high impact journal

my amcas is already prepared (PS, LORs, transcripts)-all completed and I am planning to submit my app the first week of july to one throwaway school, pre-write all secondaries while waiting for my score release date (august 9th) and add more schools
-so i would be complete around august 12-13th at most schools.....how would this look?

Taking the MCAT beyond mid June would probably be considered late for the application cycle. If you were to take the MCAT in mid June, you would have to prepare your AMCAS primary application between now and then, and submit for verification shortly after your MCAT so that you can be verified by the time your MCAT score is released in July. That way, you can use your MCAT score to designate the rest of your schools.

As Gonnif pointed out, take the MCAT when you are ready even if it means waiting to apply until next year. Take the MCAT once and don't rush it.

Thanks for your feedback! I voided the exam today because I did not feel that it was my best performance and did not feel confident during the exam. I am planning on taking the July 8th exam (since June 2nd is just too soon) and being complete at schools on August 9th (i'm going to prewrite everything and send it in when I get my score)

My gpa is 3.64 and I'll also have a first author publication by July in a high impact journal
I think there is a June 18th exam. I'm not sure though, that might be very dicey still. I'll leave it to everyone else on here to comment whether it's too late. It would bit it is still a gamble, but I don't know.
I've heard on here that July 2nd is way too late. I can link the thread if you'd.

I took it near the end of July 2015 and got multiple MD acceptances to start this coming July/August.

Reactions: 1 user
my amcas is already prepared (PS, LORs, transcripts)-all completed and I am planning to submit my app the first week of july to one throwaway school, pre-write all secondaries while waiting for my score release date (august 9th) and add more schools
-so i would be complete around august 12-13th at most schools.....how would this look?

Keep in mind that you have to wait for the school to send you the secondary. Submitting your primary August 9 means you'll be waiting a while for some secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think the golden rule @LizzyM uses is that if the MCAT is past May, it's too late for the current cycle.
That's absurd, honestly. Taking the June 2nd MCAT won't put you behind whatsoever, and taking the June 18th MCAT will only put you about 2 weeks behind (which is still well ahead of the majority of applicants). I think she generally says that taking into consideration the possible necessity of a retake, but for someone who scores well, there's nothing wrong with a June MCAT this cycle.

Hey man as someone who had an unsettling experience on the AAMC Scored yesterday I would encourage you to go through if your other practice exams were on par (using whatever scale) to a 508. I had one bad section yesterday BB as opposed to your CAR (which is the most variable) and had a mini crisis. However, if your past exam scores were not in the same ballpark maybe you should push it back...

The issue with the scored IMO is the n=1 sample size, if you always struggle with CAR then that is probably a strong indicator, if not don't freak out!

That's absurd, honestly. Taking the June 2nd MCAT won't put you behind whatsoever, and taking the June 18th MCAT will only put you about 2 weeks behind (which is still well ahead of the majority of applicants). I think she generally says that taking into consideration the possible necessity of a retake, but for someone who scores well, there's nothing wrong with a June MCAT this cycle.

Well, this year data transmission in June 24th (compared to July first in previous years), so it will put him/her 3 weeks behind