Latest Pharmacy School Ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We've had this argument a million times.

You can't explain that a national "top schools" is legitimate due to said list attracting top students because of the nature of the regional segregation of schools. When many of the top schools (i.e. Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio State, UNC, USC, etc, etc) specifically aim to take upwards of 90% of their students from in-state candidates, then you do not get an integration of top students from various regions, and you do not get a stratification of talent within the top schools. Imagine if Harvard took 90% of its students from Massachusetts. Would they still always "attract the best?"

Of course, that's just the East coast. I have no idea what happens out West because it may as well be a different country as far as pharmacy is concerned. Every pharmacist I work with either graduated from WVU, Pitt, Duquesne, LECOM, one of the Philly schools, Rutgers, or Maryland. I can give you an idea of how good those schools do at producing practicing pharmacists. But there is no way in hell I can tell you how effing UCSF or whatever does. Really, the rankings are just ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We have to be operating under one simple posit, which I think anyone would agree with: every school has every incentive to seek out the best students, the top faculty, and best researchers. From UCSF to the bottom of the list, every school wants to overreach themselves.

Competition exists against regional schools and your peer schools. I would define region loosely, but its obviously geographical reference. Peer schools are the ones similar in ranking/reputation. For example, UCSF's competing schools would be the west coast regional schools plus the top 10-20 schools not in their region. UCSF isn't competing against LECOM in Erie, PA or Presbyterian, SC for anything - not students, not faculty members, not research grants.

Its a safe bet that UCSF knows precisely what its competing schools are doing about their curriculum, how they are enticing students/faculty to join their schools, the research being performed, and so on. And its also a safe bet that UCSF has little or no clue about LECOM or Presbyterian simply because they don't really need to know.

And the inverse is also true, Presbyterian and LECOM don't need to know what UCSF is doing either. Its not as if the administrators at lower tier schools are sitting in their plush leather chairs behind their mahogany desks pondering "now, what can we copy that UCSF does..."

We're pretty much in agreement here then.

But you are not evaluating what rankings would look like in a world in which self-bias is such blatantly offensive to higher education. and your assumption of horrific self bias is not supported by the data.

If what you say is true, there is no way the top schools would consistently survive the bloodbath of negative impressions. Every school not in the top 10 in the country would have an incentive to rank UCSF poorly for the next ranking. And in the following ranking, UCSF wouldn't be at the top, but again, every non top 10 school in the new ranking would ensure the new #1-10 lose their spots. Because there are more plebeians than aristocrats, this would be definitive! The characteristic of self bias in rankings would be constant turnover in ranking, and yet the data doesn't support this. The top 25 schools are more or less constant with minor fluctuations up and down a few spots. This means that the schools are self-regulating their assessments of their peers to make them more truthful.

Stability in the rankings despite the total growth in pharmacy schools indicates that the rankings are roughly fairly assessed. Self-biases are largely neutralized.

I never said the bias had to be horrific or widespread, though it certainly could be. The point is that we don't know. You also suggest that the stability in the rankings is indicative of their accuracy. This stability could just as (and I would say more) easily be due to the fact that once you're known as a "top 10" school, even those administrators without any first hand knowledge of your program are going to have that association in mind when it comes time to rank. Hell, they could be googling previous rankings when it comes time to do the new ones.

I never said it was objective or that it was accurate. But it is a rough estimate, yes. I have experience with students from many pharmacy schools across the country. While my n value for each school is low, the caliber of student at many of the lower tier schools is simply not up to par compared to the caliber of average student in the top 25 schools. That being said, I will be the first one to admit that there are some lower tier schools that do a fantastic job of training community pharmacists - better than that of many of the top schools. But taken as a whole, across all spectrums of the profession, I would still contend that rankings are roughly reflective of the overall academic quality.

Maybe they are roughly reflective of academic quality, but to what degree? Can we assume that your average grads from the top 5 programs are equal? Or should we go top 10? Top 25? 50? My point is that the estimate is so rough as to be useless.

You're either making some very dangerous assumptions or misrepresenting your argument. While it is true that an entry level community pharmacist salary of a UCSF grad is not all that different than that of the lowest ranked school, its probably a matter of 10K or less, which we can argue over its significance when it represents less than 7% of total annual compensation.

But you're operating under the assumption that graduates at the top schools end up with the same career distribution as the other schools. And more importantly, that their career paths take them through the same waters.

Graduates of top schools are more likely to make their way through management (which is paid higher) and into peripheral fields (like analysts on Wall St, corporate executives in managed care, etc) than graduates of lower tier schools.

But I will readily concede that this isn't strictly a product of the school per se, its also heavily influenced by the character of the student body at the top schools. This is where my "self-perpetuating cycle" comes into play - by getting the "top students", top schools can give their students an edge when it comes to these non-direct patient care jobs. You may think this is irrelevant, but many students come into top schools thinking community and clinical and end up elsewhere.

Do you have any data suggesting this is true? And how often do the "best/most qualified/however you want to put it" applicants even want to go into management?

I have coached many high school students over my years, and I have noted that there is one big difference between students who were accepted to Harvard (and other top schools like Stanford, MIT, etc) versus those accepted at other very well reputable schools (University of Michigan, Duke, Northwestern etc). It is unquestionable that the incoming classes of Harvard and Northwestern are very similar in terms of GPA, SAT, AP scores, extracurriculars, etc. But the difference is that that the students at the top schools are already successful by the time they get to Harvard. I know of a great many students who entered Harvard, at the age of 18, and they had already started a small investment group, owned and operated real estate ventures, and started summer camps for students. And that doesnt include the students who made success using their parents' wealth.

In the same way, a larger number of students who are accepted and matriculate at the top pharmacy schools are already successful in other endeavors. I know of one top ten school that has five to ten physicians as students. Students who are already PhDs and MS in science are more likely to matriculate at top schools. You mean to tell me then that the salary of that MD/PharmD will be equal to that of lower tier schools?

Preempt: You will say then that this is a characteristic of the students, not the schools. And the answer is yes and no. The school's academic reputation attracts these students, offers them specific opportunities, and then unleashes these students. Its a chicken-and-the-egg argument (hence why I say its a self perpetuating cycle). But at the end of the day, you cant escape the fact that the schools had to do something right to get there in the first place. And if they were to do some poor things, they would drop in the rankings.

Remember, pharmacy is a very small world...

Do you mean to tell me that an MD practicing as a pharmacist is going to make any more than a pharmacist practicing as a pharmacist? Or that this situation is even common in the first place? Why the assumption than an MD would choose not to complete their PharmD at a "lower tier" school?

That depends largely on what you want to do. If you want to be the average community pharmacist, I think there are many unranked schools which do a better job at training their students than top schools - based on today's pharmacy profession. But if you want to be trained for tomorrow's responsibilities, the top is better because its the graduates and faculty at the top schools who are leading the charge in revolutionizing the practice of pharmacy, and the students at those schools are the first recipients of "tomorrow's education". If you want to have exposure to innovative, revolutionary ideas in pharmacy practice, you go to top schools and you will have exposure to the individuals who are on the front lines of that offensive, you will develop personal contacts, and then you will have a better opportunity upon graduation to take upon yourself that same charge.

I'm not sure why you make the assumption that lower ranked schools can't take the same approach to pharmacy education as higher ranked schools. There was a brand new school getting ready to open (I can't remember the name at the moment- the assistant dean posted here about it though) which was touting exactly what you're talking about.

I am not saying that graduates of lower tier schools are bad by any means. Rather, that the character of the students at the top schools is very different. Top students are attracted to top schools and will become top graduates because of the different opportunities afforded to them at those top schools by the faculty, administrators, graduates and preceptors of those schools.

Remember, is a comparative scale, not an absolute one. Just because a lower tier school isn't bad doesn't mean there isn't a better school. I refer you back to my "rank the banks savings account example".

I want to reiterate for those reading my posts... I do NOT think that students at lower tier schools are bad, nor that the lower tier schools are bad. But there is a fundamental difference in the character of the student bodies, the academic and post-graduate opportunities afforded to the students by the schools, and the educational pedagogy of the schools - and that is a difference which results in the difference in ranking. Its a self-reinforcing "vicious" cycle which is why it is difficult for change to exist in rankings.

Why assume that "top students" will always attend "top schools"? I very nearly attended one of these "low ranked" (actually unranked, to be specific) schools. Despite the fact that it was a new school, it wasn't hard to see the effort that was being put in to educate future pharmacists. The students that I've worked with personally that attend this school were all very knowledgable, I daresay even better than some of them I've worked with from the "highly ranked" school I'll be attending. But I picked the highly ranked school for other reasons. I've worked with many grads from this school who are fantastic pharmacists, who highly recommended their school. I'm thinking about attempting a dual degree program, which the other school offered, but not with the specific degree I'm interested in. The school I'll be attending is a traditional 4 year program vs. the 3 year program at the other school, which didn't appeal to me. I could go on, but the point is that I picked a school that I thought was a good fit for me, and my reasons had nothing to do with rank. I would suggest to any other student considering schools that they do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barring some significant development, this will be my last post on the subject. I simply don't have any more time to devote to this topic.

R2pharmD2 said:
I never said the bias had to be horrific or widespread, though it certainly could be. The point is that we don't know. You also suggest that the stability in the rankings is indicative of their accuracy. This stability could just as (and I would say more) easily be due to the fact that once you're known as a "top 10" school, even those administrators without any first hand knowledge of your program are going to have that association in mind when it comes time to rank. Hell, they could be googling previous rankings when it comes time to do the new ones.

But as we already agreed, administrators either know about programs or dont because they only care about their competition (defined as region/similar academic profile or rank). If we can agree that the stability in the rankings disproves the unethical theory, then we can also posit that they would opt NOT to respond about schools they know nothing about. If you read up on the methodology of rankings schools can decline to comment if they do not have an opinion. Thus there is no reliance on previous rankings to ensure stability.

But going back to the unethical self-bias in ranking, the stability indicates either self-bias is neutralized naturally by being a small minority, or that they aren't doing it. So at the end of the day, we can still conclude whatever degree to which it exists, its insignificant. There is no escaping the fact that if self bias existed, it would be reflected by large turnover in rankings.

R2pharmD2 said:
Maybe they are roughly reflective of academic quality, but to what degree? Can we assume that your average grads from the top 5 programs are equal? Or should we go top 10? Top 25? 50? My point is that the estimate is so rough as to be useless.

Oh come now, they aren't that useless. Its a sliding scale. Me personally? I would say that compared to UCSF, the top 10 is a fair estimate. Compared to the #10 ranked school, go plus minus 10-15 in either direction. Of course there are outliers. As I readily admit, there are some lower tier and unranked schools that do an amazing job of training community pharmacists, better than some top 10 schools. But taken as an average...

R2pharmD2 said:
Do you have any data suggesting this is true? And how often do the "best/most qualified/however you want to put it" applicants even want to go into management?

I have seen some post-graduation employment statistics, yes. Because of what I do and have done, I am privvy to some information to which students do not have access. Unfortunately, I will politely decline to comment further on what it is I do or for whom I do it because that would be rather compromising. If you would like to believe my ethos drops to zero with that, so be it. I am not concerned.

As for whether they want to be there or if they are happy there, I have no idea and couldn't even begin to guess.

R2pharmD2 said:
Do you mean to tell me that an MD practicing as a pharmacist is going to make any more than a pharmacist practicing as a pharmacist? Or that this situation is even common in the first place? Why the assumption than an MD would choose not to complete their PharmD at a "lower tier" school?

Its not just physicians, its students who come in with masters, PhDs, significant professional accomplishments, and so on. Perhaps I lack the words to articulate the precise reason that accomplished individuals generally gravitate towards schools ranked higher... I just know its true for various reasons. This doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere, but these applicants know their accomplishments give them a great edge in applications and they can come as close as possible to writing their own ticket in admissions, so why not go to the top?

R2pharmD2 said:
I'm not sure why you make the assumption that lower ranked schools can't take the same approach to pharmacy education as higher ranked schools. There was a brand new school getting ready to open (I can't remember the name at the moment- the assistant dean posted here about it though) which was touting exactly what you're talking about.

I never said that other schools cannot, would not, could not, or should not tackle these educational objectives. For example, when Jefferson was opening their program, they developed a very nice integrated multidisciplinary curriculum (which I have since heard is doing well) and lured away many top faculty members from other schools. I have all the confidence in the world that in due time, given their current efforts and leadership, Jefferson will be very well regarded pharmacy school - and they are a new school that hasn't graduated a single class yet.

I never said there were no diamonds in the rough. Only that there are less diamonds in the rough than the well reputed schools of high academic caliber. I will also very happily say that some of the faculty at lower ranked schools are quite good at teaching - many chose to be there because they wanted to teach and not be burdened by research. And I am sure you will have no argument with the idea that a strong measure of an educator's success is their desire to teach (those apathetic PhDs who only want to do research are rarely good teachers despite being wonderfully gifted researchers).

But I do claim that the continuously evolving practice of pharmacy is being led by the pharmacists who are faculty at top pharmacy schools, graduates of their design, or other leaders in pharmacy associated with these schools. This doesnt mean that other individuals are not involved, only that there are fewer of them. There are exceptions to EVERY rule... but that doesnt mean that trends don't exist.

R2pharmD2 said:
Why assume that "top students" will always attend "top schools"? I very nearly attended one of these "low ranked" (actually unranked, to be specific) schools. Despite the fact that it was a new school, it wasn't hard to see the effort that was being put in to educate future pharmacists. The students that I've worked with personally that attend this school were all very knowledgable, I daresay even better than some of them I've worked with from the "highly ranked" school I'll be attending. But I picked the highly ranked school for other reasons. I've worked with many grads from this school who are fantastic pharmacists, who highly recommended their school. I'm thinking about attempting a dual degree program, which the other school offered, but not with the specific degree I'm interested in. The school I'll be attending is a traditional 4 year program vs. the 3 year program at the other school, which didn't appeal to me. I could go on, but the point is that I picked a school that I thought was a good fit for me, and my reasons had nothing to do with rank. I would suggest to any other student considering schools that they do the same.

You, and everyone else, is really just missing my overall point. Just as with warfarin dosing, yeah, you have general guidelines for how to begin dosing a patient, but they are never accurate or precise because inter-patient variability is enormous and you need to take into account many patient-related variables. But none of that means the guidelines are irrelevant or useless!!! Guidelines are a place to begin.

In the same way, rankings are roughly true though probably not perfectly accurate nor precise. They are a good place to start when deciding to apply to pharmacy school. You start by looking at the schools that best fit your academic profile or you match your academic goals/performance to the expectations of the schools, and then begin to narrow down your list based on other things you are seeking - your student related variables: location, cost, proximity to family/significant other, specific faculty members with whom you could learn or collaborate on research, opportunity for dual degrees, etc etc etc whatever it may be. None of these reasons is invalid, in my opinion, for choosing one school over another. But just because choice is as individualized as possible, that doesn't mean rankings lack a general value. I already stated that the most important thing when choosing graduate school is to find an advisor/mentor who can get you the experience and post-graduate contacts necessary for directing your career in the direction you want to go. That's completely irrespective of rank!

I am strictly responding to the people who are saying that rankings are entirely bogus and useless and lack value. That is just patently untrue and such opinions do future students a disservice - and that is something I seek to combat.

All4MyDaughter said:
Oh I read. And comprehended just fine. You make the mistake that so many others on SDN make: assuming that those of us who don't AGREE with you just don't "understand." It's condescending. And arrogant. And laughable.

Not in the slightest. I have formal training in teaching controversy. I am no stranger to conflict and differing opinions, partly because I teach out-of-the-box thinking. I am obviously having a very civil conversation with R2pharmD2. There is no condescension in my voice there. Perhaps you wonder why?

I am extremely dissatisfied with your response because you carelessly or intentionally misrepresented my opinions in your response. And you accuse me of condescension and arrogance when I take issue with that? Just because you decide to FABRICATE ideas and put them in my mouth, doesn't mean that you have a leg to stand on. I couldn't care less if you disagree. But I DO care when you lie about what I write to score points with people who are reading this thread.

So no. You lose. But if you want a career in mudslinging politics, you're a winner! ;)

WVUpharm2007 said:
Of course, that's just the East coast. I have no idea what happens out West because it may as well be a different country as far as pharmacy is concerned. Every pharmacist I work with either graduated from WVU, Pitt, Duquesne, LECOM, one of the Philly schools, Rutgers, or Maryland. I can give you an idea of how good those schools do at producing practicing pharmacists. But there is no way in hell I can tell you how effing UCSF or whatever does. Really, the rankings are just ridiculous.

That's why if you were asked to rank schools on their academic quality, I would suspect instead of simply relying on some amorphous second hand knowledge of other programs, you would write in "unknown" for UCSF - you would only comment on the schools for which you have significant knowledge of their academics. See my discussion above with R2PharmD2 on the definition of competing schools.

297point1 said:
Someone has a mighty high opinion of their own opinion. :smuggrin:

A ratings system based upon peer assessment and nothing else is useless, especially when subjected to the whims of a local competitor for students, research dollars, and faculty. Several deans have made their disdain for new programs known far and wide. How do you think they are going to rank these new programs once they achieve full candidacy and are eligible for the USN&WR ratings? They are going to give them a crap rating; to suggest otherwise speaks to your naivete.

No. I have less of an opinion about my opinion than I have an opinion about All4MyDaughter LYING ABOUT WHAT I SAID. Is your opinion then that its acceptable for him/her to do that?

I never said EVERYONE is perfect. Is your contention then that THE MAJORITY of deans and academic administrators act this unethically? If its not, then why are you throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Never once did I say rankings are perfect. In fact, I have been saying that they are inaccurate and imprecise. But the imprecision and inaccuracy doesnt mean that rankings don't have value. Is it your opinion then that therapeutic guidelines have no value because they are rarely "correct" for any given patient? No. Because despite the inaccuracy and imprecision, the guideline is a place to start. And thats all I am advocating for rankings. They are a place to start. NEVER a place to finish. And I said long ago in this thread, students making decisions based purely on rankings are doing themselves a disservice!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Barring some significant development, this will be my last post on the subject. I simply don't have any more time to devote to this topic.

This would have been a great place to stop, really! :thumbup:

Not in the slightest. I have formal training in teaching controversy. I am no stranger to conflict and differing opinions, partly because I teach out-of-the-box thinking. I am obviously having a very civil conversation with R2pharmD2. There is no condescension in my voice there. Perhaps you wonder why?

I am extremely dissatisfied with your response because you carelessly or intentionally misrepresented my opinions in your response. And you accuse me of condescension and arrogance when I take issue with that? Just because you decide to FABRICATE ideas and put them in my mouth, doesn't mean that you have a leg to stand on. I couldn't care less if you disagree. But I DO care when you lie about what I write to score points with people who are reading this thread.

So no. You lose. But if you want a career in mudslinging politics, you're a winner! ;)

I'm sorry that I seem to have hurt your feelings. But it's impossible for me to LIE about what you said, since your words are there ON THE FORUM for everyone to see. What I did was use a little creative license to take what you said and use it to discredit and poke fun at the point you were making. If you can't handle that type of criticism/discourse, then perhaps the internet is too scary for you? :)

Which brings me to my next point. Respect and credibility on SDN is earned, not demanded. You can tell us over and over again that you have more knowledge, experience, or ____________ than the rest of us, but we aren't required to automatically listen to everything you say, just because you tell us to. You're giving off an attitude of presumed superiority and I believe that is the source of the resistance that you are encountering in this thread and others. So chill out a bit and perhaps people will, in time, give you the respect you think you deserve. :luck:

I like your posts. You make compelling, well articulated arguments. I still disagree that the rankings matter, I doubt most employers even have a clue where any school falls on the list. But I still like your post. You should kinda chill out a little though, we poke fun quite a bit around here and you seem to take it a little to seriously. Anyway, I look forward to your future posts on different topics.

This would have been a great place to stop, really! :thumbup:

Your not speaking would have been preferable since you really dont have anything constructive to say on this matter. ;)

All4MyDaughter said:
I'm sorry that I seem to have hurt your feelings. But it's impossible for me to LIE about what you said, since your words are there ON THE FORUM for everyone to see. What I did was use a little creative license to take what you said and use it to discredit and poke fun at the point you were making. If you can't handle that type of criticism/discourse, then perhaps the internet is too scary for you? :)

Creative license would be saying that the doctor who sat next to you in class got his degree at www.MDforFee.com. Now *that* would be funny.

Creative license does not give you the right to misrepresent what I am saying.... because you are actually propagating an argument... not merely making satire of mine.

There is a fundamental difference between what you said and what you intended.

All4MyDaughter said:
Which brings me to my next point. Respect and credibility on SDN is earned, not demanded. You can tell us over and over again that you have more knowledge, experience, or ____________ than the rest of us, but we aren't required to automatically listen to everything you say, just because you tell us to. You're giving off an attitude of presumed superiority and I believe that is the source of the resistance that you are encountering in this thread and others. So chill out a bit and perhaps people will, in time, give you the respect you think you deserve. :luck:

I am demanding respect? Interesting since I really couldn't care less about how the citizens of SDN see me. I genuinely regret that I cannot reveal my identity online. I think my identity and a description of my specific experiences, professional and academic, would clarify a lot of questions. Unfortunately, I am unwilling to do so for professional reasons as such revelations would make it rather challenging for me to do what I do. You can take that admission however you wish. As I said previously to R2pharmD2, if you think that this anonymity detracts from my ethos, I completely understand and its perfectly acceptable to me.

If you don't want to listen to what I am saying, fine, don't read it.
If you don't agree with what I am saying, fine, ignore it or provide constructive counterpoint.

I exist on this site only to give students a specific, and largely different viewpoint than that of most students. Take that however you wish. I don't think of myself as the pariah of cult-logic.

With all due respect to everyone, I am not looking for friends here so none of you will know my name or who I am and I will never provide information which could ultimately be identifying and I will never reveal to anyone IRL that this is my SDN handle so they will never know I exist on this website. Disclosure of my identity would compromise my ability to help students on this site and would compromise my professional obligations.

Lastly, you should also not assume that I am new here. I have been here for many years. I just create a new handle every year. As this academic cycle comes to a close, I look forward to coming up with a new handle this summer. :)

I like your posts. You make compelling, well articulated arguments. I still disagree that the rankings matter, I doubt most employers even have a clue where any school falls on the list. But I still like your post. You should kinda chill out a little though, we poke fun quite a bit around here and you seem to take it a little to seriously. Anyway, I look forward to your future posts on different topics.

OK, I am looking forward to posts that are farther in the future.

You are so kind and diplomatic. You are a credit to owls everywhere. :)

Diplomacy is not American which makes me question who Owle reeeeeaaallly is....

df95ba14-448f-4f17-abaa-542f5406f26f.jpg

You are so kind and diplomatic. You are a credit to owls everywhere. :)

After all this time, you still can't spell it right. ;):p:laugh:

It is a common mistake though, even Webster made it when he made his fancy book. It is spelled owle.

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry my darling Mr. Owle. Maybe some treats will help smooth things over?

If you overnight those, yes.

Mr. Owle doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it? Dr. Owle - now has a certain ring to it though. Can pharmacists call themselves doctors?

If you overnight those, yes.

Mr. Owle doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it? Dr. Owle - now has a certain ring to it though. Can pharmacists call themselves doctors?

That is an EXCELLENT question. Maybe you should start a new thread and ask? Maybe include a poll?

I will say that YOU have permission to call yourself Doctor ANYTIME you want! Because I say so!!!

Doctor-Owl-181641.jpg

That is an EXCELLENT question. Maybe you should start a new thread and ask? Maybe include a poll?

I will say that YOU have permission to call yourself Doctor ANYTIME you want! Because I say so!!!

Doctor-Owl-181641.jpg

Oh 4, you're a fountain of fantastic photos.

Oh, the alliteration!

Dr. Owle it is then. Only two more years... Maybe a new thread on this topic is called for. I could apologize in advance if this has been discussed before and claim I searched for it and didn't see anything, even though when I even try to post it, SDN will attempt to direct me to the many thread on that exact topic. Or I could necro bump a 50 page thread with a simple question like, so can we or can't we? I would then claim to have read every page but didn't find my answer. Man, I am full of good ideas tonight.

OT: My spell check wants me to change "necro" to "Negro". Interesting.

Is your contention then that THE MAJORITY of deans and academic administrators act this unethically? If its not, then why are you throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

It doesn't have to be THE MAJORITY of deans and academic administrators acting unethically for their bias to skew the results. As you claim, UCSF isn't going to care about Presbyterian and LECOM (and why you decided to cite those two schools, I have no idea), and isn't likely to offer an opinion come USN&WR polling time. But you know who is going to care? For Presby, it will be South Carolina, North Carolina, Wingate, Campbell, South, the 5 (!) Tennessee schools, Mercer, Georgia, Auburn, and Samford, and probably a few others. With such a small sample pool, just a few '1' rankings from those schools (regardless of merit) will be enough to drive down Presby's score to the bottom of the rankings.

Deans and academic administrators are no better, and no worse, than the average person on the street when it comes to ethics; don't assume that a strong moral compass is a requirement for the position.

Never once did I say rankings are perfect. In fact, I have been saying that they are inaccurate and imprecise. But the imprecision and inaccuracy doesnt mean that rankings don't have value. Is it your opinion then that therapeutic guidelines have no value because they are rarely "correct" for any given patient? No. Because despite the inaccuracy and imprecision, the guideline is a place to start. And thats all I am advocating for rankings. They are a place to start. NEVER a place to finish. And I said long ago in this thread, students making decisions based purely on rankings are doing themselves a disservice!

I won't respond to every point you've made, except for the one about having spent too much time on this topic already. In that, we agree :laugh:

Although we seem to disagree on the accuracy of the rankings, the point you make about using them as a place to start is one I think we can agree on. My concern is that students rely too heavily on rank to form an opinion about a school, so I try to steer them away from that line of thinking. They are useless when treated as absolute truth. But, as long as potential students understand they should be treated as only a rough guideline and are aware of the flaws, then I think they can safely serve a small role in the search for a good pharmacy school.

For the record, I don't feel like anything you've said to me has been out of line and I do enjoy a good, civil debate. It is unfortunate that you can't reveal the source of the information that you're privy too, but understandable.

I've precepted for 5 schools and honestly I wouldn't have any idea what the rankings were without looking them up. I do know that one of the schools is a top 5 school. Every student has been really different and that their level of performance on rotations has had no correlation to where they go to school from what I can tell so far. I think DrDrugs is funny in his/her hubris. Oh please, do tell us who you are IRL, we are begging you, pleading with you, cannot-sleep-until-I-know-your-true-identity! I don't give a rat's pa-toot.

Really, this whole thread is a bunch of tl;dr and the only appropriate response is

1-big.gif

Respect and credibility on SDN is earned, not demanded. You can tell us over and over again that you have more knowledge, experience, or ____________ than the rest of us, but we aren't required to automatically listen to everything you say, just because you tell us to. You're giving off an attitude of presumed superiority and I believe that is the source of the resistance that you are encountering in this thread and others. So chill out a bit and perhaps people will, in time, give you the respect you think you deserve. :luck:

Can this quote be a part of the SDN Bill of Rights? :love:

Lastly, you should also not assume that I am new here. I have been here for many years. I just create a new handle every year. As this academic cycle comes to a close, I look forward to coming up with a new handle this summer. :)

Moderators, Isn't this a violation of the SDN Terms of Service? I remember when the blessed Somatic/Citamos, etc. attempted to create multiple usernames on the board and he/she was banned from the site. :)

Moderators, Isn't this a violation of the SDN Terms of Service? I remember when the blessed Somatic/Citamos, etc. attempted to create multiple usernames on the board and he/she was banned from the site. :)

Technically, yes. But typically as long as someone only uses one account at a time (and abandons their old accounts) we overlook it. It's definitely a form of trolling to use multiple accounts concurrently. We have seen people use multiple accounts in the same thread to make it look like there is more support for their arguments, etc. We call that sockpuppeting and it's :thumbdown:. Another separate issue that you've raised is the issue of someone who has been banned for trolling or for other offenses creating new accounts. That's not allowed either. Banned users are B A N N E D (duh :p) and not permitted to return to the forums. So when we discover them they get banned again. Hope this all makes sense.

I've precepted for 5 schools and honestly I wouldn't have any idea what the rankings were without looking them up. I do know that one of the schools is a top 5 school. Every student has been really different and that their level of performance on rotations has had no correlation to where they go to school from what I can tell so far. I think DrDrugs is funny in his/her hubris. Oh please, do tell us who you are IRL, we are begging you, pleading with you, cannot-sleep-until-I-know-your-true-identity! I don't give a rat's pa-toot.

Really, this whole thread is a bunch of tl;dr and the only appropriate response is

1-big.gif

:laugh::thumbup:

But as we already agreed, administrators either know about programs or dont because they only care about their competition (defined as region/similar academic profile or rank). If we can agree that the stability in the rankings disproves the unethical theory, then we can also posit that they would opt NOT to respond about schools they know nothing about. If you read up on the methodology of rankings schools can decline to comment if they do not have an opinion. Thus there is no reliance on previous rankings to ensure stability.

But going back to the unethical self-bias in ranking, the stability indicates either self-bias is neutralized naturally by being a small minority, or that they aren't doing it. So at the end of the day, we can still conclude whatever degree to which it exists, its insignificant. There is no escaping the fact that if self bias existed, it would be reflected by large turnover in rankings.

Oh come now, they aren't that useless. Its a sliding scale. Me personally? I would say that compared to UCSF, the top 10 is a fair estimate. Compared to the #10 ranked school, go plus minus 10-15 in either direction. Of course there are outliers. As I readily admit, there are some lower tier and unranked schools that do an amazing job of training community pharmacists, better than some top 10 schools. But taken as an average...

I have seen some post-graduation employment statistics, yes. Because of what I do and have done, I am privvy to some information to which students do not have access. Unfortunately, I will politely decline to comment further on what it is I do or for whom I do it because that would be rather compromising. If you would like to believe my ethos drops to zero with that, so be it. I am not concerned.

As for whether they want to be there or if they are happy there, I have no idea and couldn't even begin to guess.

Its not just physicians, its students who come in with masters, PhDs, significant professional accomplishments, and so on. Perhaps I lack the words to articulate the precise reason that accomplished individuals generally gravitate towards schools ranked higher... I just know its true for various reasons. This doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere, but these applicants know their accomplishments give them a great edge in applications and they can come as close as possible to writing their own ticket in admissions, so why not go to the top?

I never said that other schools cannot, would not, could not, or should not tackle these educational objectives. For example, when Jefferson was opening their program, they developed a very nice integrated multidisciplinary curriculum (which I have since heard is doing well) and lured away many top faculty members from other schools. I have all the confidence in the world that in due time, given their current efforts and leadership, Jefferson will be very well regarded pharmacy school - and they are a new school that hasn't graduated a single class yet.

I never said there were no diamonds in the rough. Only that there are less diamonds in the rough than the well reputed schools of high academic caliber. I will also very happily say that some of the faculty at lower ranked schools are quite good at teaching - many chose to be there because they wanted to teach and not be burdened by research. And I am sure you will have no argument with the idea that a strong measure of an educator's success is their desire to teach (those apathetic PhDs who only want to do research are rarely good teachers despite being wonderfully gifted researchers).

But I do claim that the continuously evolving practice of pharmacy is being led by the pharmacists who are faculty at top pharmacy schools, graduates of their design, or other leaders in pharmacy associated with these schools. This doesnt mean that other individuals are not involved, only that there are fewer of them. There are exceptions to EVERY rule... but that doesnt mean that trends don't exist.

You, and everyone else, is really just missing my overall point. Just as with warfarin dosing, yeah, you have general guidelines for how to begin dosing a patient, but they are never accurate or precise because inter-patient variability is enormous and you need to take into account many patient-related variables. But none of that means the guidelines are irrelevant or useless!!! Guidelines are a place to begin.

In the same way, rankings are roughly true though probably not perfectly accurate nor precise. They are a good place to start when deciding to apply to pharmacy school. You start by looking at the schools that best fit your academic profile or you match your academic goals/performance to the expectations of the schools, and then begin to narrow down your list based on other things you are seeking - your student related variables: location, cost, proximity to family/significant other, specific faculty members with whom you could learn or collaborate on research, opportunity for dual degrees, etc etc etc whatever it may be. None of these reasons is invalid, in my opinion, for choosing one school over another. But just because choice is as individualized as possible, that doesn't mean rankings lack a general value. I already stated that the most important thing when choosing graduate school is to find an advisor/mentor who can get you the experience and post-graduate contacts necessary for directing your career in the direction you want to go. That's completely irrespective of rank!

I am strictly responding to the people who are saying that rankings are entirely bogus and useless and lack value. That is just patently untrue and such opinions do future students a disservice - and that is something I seek to combat.

That's why if you were asked to rank schools on their academic quality, I would suspect instead of simply relying on some amorphous second hand knowledge of other programs, you would write in "unknown" for UCSF - you would only comment on the schools for which you have significant knowledge of their academics. See my discussion above with R2PharmD2 on the definition of competing schools.

No. I have less of an opinion about my opinion than I have an opinion about All4MyDaughter LYING ABOUT WHAT I SAID. Is your opinion then that its acceptable for him/her to do that?

I never said EVERYONE is perfect. Is your contention then that THE MAJORITY of deans and academic administrators act this unethically? If its not, then why are you throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

When in the hell do y'all find time to formulate such long essay type responses?:rolleyes:

Oh 4, you're a fountain of fantastic photos.

Oh, the alliteration!

Dr. Owle it is then. Only two more years... Maybe a new thread on this topic is called for. I could apologize in advance if this has been discussed before and claim I searched for it and didn't see anything, even though when I even try to post it, SDN will attempt to direct me to the many thread on that exact topic. Or I could necro bump a 50 page thread with a simple question like, so can we or can't we? I would then claim to have read every page but didn't find my answer. Man, I am full of good ideas tonight.

OT: My spell check wants me to change "necro" to "Negro". Interesting.

...Or when they resurrect a "dead", "maggot infested", "decomposed", "15 feet under" thread with nothing constructive.:mad:

Rankings will never change (at least dramatically). Even if XULA dishes out the most amazing pharmacists, the pharmacy community will never know, and they will stay at the bottom of the barrel with respect to rankings (no offense to XULA grads or future students).

1) Who else notices whether a pharmacist is either amazing or not if not the pharmacy community itself?

2) Staying at the bottom of a rank -- what rank? Rank that measures what? Most of XULA grads, just like every other school's grads hold average pharmacist positions. Ranking hasn't prevented them from getting to those positions. So, what offense is there exactly to take?

3) Was it that you really couldn't come up with a better contribution for this thread or what?

smh...:nono:

1-big.gif

Sentence of the week:)

1) Who else notices whether a pharmacist is either amazing or not if not the pharmacy community itself?

2) Staying at the bottom of a rank -- what rank? Rank that measures what? Most of XULA grads, just like every other school's grads hold average pharmacist positions. Ranking hasn't prevented them from getting to those positions. So, what offense is there exactly to take?

3) Was it that you really couldn't come up with a better contribution for this thread or what?

smh...:nono:

First of all, I don't think we're on the same page.

1) Regionally, sure but at large... I don't think so.

2) USNWR rankings. I thought that would be a assumed seeing how this thread focuses on them. Anyways, I don't know where you're going with this... I meant no offense b/c I used them as an example of an unranked school who could produce good pharmacists (honestly, I have no anecdotes to go off of). And with that, my point was that they'll never be a USNWR top 10 school (central thesis of my post)

and 3) You seem like a respected member of SDN, so I will just assume you didn't interpret my post correctly and not reply condescendingly as you have here.

First of all, I don't think we're on the same page.

1) Regionally, sure but at large... I don't think so.

2) USNWR rankings. I thought that would be a assumed seeing how this thread focuses on them. Anyways, I don't know where you're going with this... I meant no offense b/c I used them as an example of an unranked school who could produce good pharmacists (honestly, I have no anecdotes to go off of). And with that, my point was that they'll never be a USNWR top 10 school (central thesis of my post)

and 3) You seem like a respected member of SDN, so I will just assume you didn't interpret my post correctly and not reply condescendingly as you have here.

The highlighted was not intended. I'd like to think I misinterpreted you as well. My apologies.

Btw, only 2 out of every 15 pre-pharmers on SDN hold some level of respect -- of which I don't think I belong to. But it's not on my list of worries anyway :)

rank means nothing presently...maybe in the future if our profession becomes more segmented, but currently, it doesn't mean diddly squat.

If i were to do it all over again. I would look at how long a school has been around. Usually, those schools have more established clinical programs, and have better rotation sites to choose from.....which may give you better chances at getting into residency (this is very broad generalization), because when you graduate with your pharmd. you want as many career choices as you can get.

If you don't care about residency, then pick any school. It won't matter.

I try to stay away from recommending diploma mill schools, and there are ALOT of them now. Sure you will pass the naplex and get a decent job/or residency, but your general experience there might not be what you expect. However, if diploma's are the only choices one has, then by all means go for it...

btw, every student raves about their school...its only after they graduate, look at their loan payments, think about the quality of their education, do they realize that they were robbed blind.....lol.

Q: what pharmacy school in the nation has had 100% NAPLEX pass rates for their students?
A: None. ... except UCSD.
http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEXpassrates.pdf

I agree with most everyone else who posted on this thread -- rankings aren't that useful. A 100% pass rate tells a lot though :)

Since 2007, South Dakota State has also had 100% pass rates on the NAPLEX. Based on your chart, so has Lebanese American University, though I strongly recall seeing they had much lower pass rates on a different chart.

Going to a top school does show that you have a unique quality, either in academic or personality, but this is the end of the story. Whether a person will be successful or not will be determined by fate.

Q: what pharmacy school in the nation has had 100% NAPLEX pass rates for their students?
A: None. ... except UCSD.
http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEXpassrates.pdf

I agree with most everyone else who posted on this thread -- rankings aren't that useful. A 100% pass rate tells a lot though :)

Well you also have to look at the class size. There will always be a higher probability of a 100% pass rate with fewer students (~50) than with a school with a class size of 200+. NAPLEX pass rates are not indicative of a "better" school especially with huge outliers regarding class sizes.

Going to a top school does show that you have a unique quality, either in academic or personality, but this is the end of the story. Whether a person will be successful or not will be determined by fate.

But what exactly determines a "top school"? Is the the NAPLEX pass rates, MPJE/CPJE pass rates or the current rakings from US world news (or whatever that site is called)? Who or what determines this?:confused:

every school has bad students

This. Is. So. Funny.

Lets all just chill and do nothing all day and leave everything to fate! I just failed last weeks exam but I didn't study much! I guess fate just didn't have it in store for me!

Whether a person will be successful or not will be determined by fate.

It is my fate, it is my destiny that I will make it into pharmacy school even if if blow my interview next week! :thumbup:

It is my fate, it is my destiny that I will make it into pharmacy school even if if blow my interview next week! :thumbup:

Don't go and see how that fate works out for you. :laugh:

Pharmacy schools do not submit stats to any ranking organization so any list that ranks schools considers limited statistics and is not valid. Do you guys really want pharmacy to turn into law where only the top 14 matter and the rest limit you to regions?

What about schools that are not ranked at all?

If an employer does in fact take rank into consideration, how would the rate the schools, such as midwestern, that choose to avoid the entire ranking process?

What about schools that are not ranked at all?

If an employer does in fact take rank into consideration, how would the rate the schools, such as midwestern, that choose to avoid the entire ranking process?

Personal experience.

"Man, those kids from XYZ school were idiots when they rotated through here."

Or...

"Man, my friend at ABC hospital said those kids from XYZ school were idiots. I think I'll interview one and see for myself."

In the end most employers won't categorically deny everyone from XYZ school unless they're getting a crush of applicants and need to seriously do some weeding out. If your CV & cover letter looks impressive enough, they'll probably call you in and maybe take a risk. Even the worst schools have shining stars, just not at a high percentage.

I believe that rankings are irrelevant, since most of the primary institutions are not ranked. It's about the curriculum and mission that the college offers, primarily to connect your interest on what you want to personally do as a pharmacist... is how I see it :boom:

I believe that rankings are irrelevant, since most of the primary institutions are not ranked. It's about the curriculum and mission that the college offers, primarily to connect your interest on what you want to personally do as a pharmacist... is how I see it :boom:
Yeah, rankings aren't incredibly important like law school but they also are not irrelevant. There are reasons for top 10 schools being in the top 10.

Quite frankly, if an employer sees someone from UCSF, North Carloina, or Ohio State and another from LECOM, Duquesne, or some other poorly ranked school, they certainly will not consider them "equal." There are obviously exceptions, but all things being equal except for what school you went to, the applicant from the well respected school will get preference over someone from a no name school that has only been around for a decade or two.