Latest you can wait to take GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionking101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was originally planning on retaking my GRE for this application cycle but never got around to it. Now that the deadline is coming up, I'm wondering if I still have time to take it. Anyone know exactly how much time is needed to take it and still have time to send scores in by deadline? Can't find a straightforward answer. I don't want to sign up if it won't count towards the application.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to schedule it ASAP (assuming your nearest test location isn't booked up for weeks). I found this: "Score reports will be processed approximately five (5) business days after you submit your order, or when scores become available." on the ETS website for mailing scores for past tests. When I took my test last year, my score reports were dated/mailed 12 days later. Or received 12 days later, it doesn't specify. I don't know if there is a 'busy' season for the GRE, either, which would delay mailings and score processing.

The GRE deadlines are different for different schools (the VMCAS website should have a chart with this info). I took the GRE early/mid-September last year without a problem (I was pretty stressed about meeting deadlines, though). Just keep in mind that some schools have different deadlines for taking the GRE and receiving scores, e.g. they might want you to take it before Sept 1st, and require scores by Oct 12th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same as comfy cat, I took mine early September and had no problems.

I took mine September 7th last year (signed up about two weeks prior) and had no problem with my scores getting to Purdue by their October 1st deadline. (I didn't mean to be so last-minute, but I didn't decide until August to apply to Purdue, and the other schools I was applying to had later deadlines for GRE scores. Luckily I was happy with my scores on the first try!) If you don't get it re-taken by the time you submit your VMCAS app, you can put on there that you're planning on re-taking it, but leave the scores blank. I don't know if schools even bother looking at the self-reported scores on VMCAS.