Latex Allergies and Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fireflysushi

CSU c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my year off between undergrad and vet school, I am working in a research lab that, before I came, always used latex gloves. So when I started I used their provided gloves and have discovered that I am allergic to them- picture burn like welts all over my hands that blistered and popped, eww!
My question is: In vet school are there often nitrile alternatives or will I have to buy my own?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know wjat it's like at CSU, but I think at Penn you provide your own, allergies or no allergies.

For Oklahoma State, you provide your own gloves for anatomy. For other classes though they provide latex with nitrile available for those with allergies. I prefer nitrile to latex even without allergies, especially for anatomy because the smell gets through latex easier than nitrile.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anatomy we bring our own, but usually they have some available in labs like path or whatever where we might forget. They usually have mostly latex but if you ask around can usually track down some nitrile ones. I have a latex allergy as well and so far hasn't been an issue getting nitrile.

Just a heads up, I had a similar reaction to the powder used in certain latex gloves. It was never latex itself, but the additive. It's best not to risk it though, reactions will get worse upon continued exposure.

Thanks everybody! :D I figured as much for anatomy, but wasn't sure about surgery?

Just a heads up, I had a similar reaction to the powder used in certain latex gloves. It was never latex itself, but the additive. It's best not to risk it though, reactions will get worse upon continued exposure.

Yeah mine got exponentially worse the month that I was forced to use them.

I work with the woman that now teaches the undergraduate animal anatomy here at CSU and she said that nitrile gloves are the only ones that protect you from the embalming liquid/preservative used on the animals. she researched all the hazardous effects of that stuff because she is breast feeding and it really freaks her out. She is making nitrile mandatory this year.

Type I hypersensitivity is usually the latex. Type IV is usually an accelerant used in latex but also some non-latex gloves so you have to make sure the gloves are not only latex free but also don't contain the accelerant, which I can't remember the name of.

In the hospital, there will be plenty of different types of gloves available.

Type I hypersensitivity is usually the latex. Type IV is usually an accelerant used in latex but also some non-latex gloves so you have to make sure the gloves are not only latex free but also don't contain the accelerant, which I can't remember the name of.

we just learned about hypersensitivities in immunology-it makes me way too excited to recognize and know what you're talking about haha:D

At WSU you bring your own for anatomy.

In the hospital you can usually find some non-latex. People are really good about helping you locate some if you ask. The techs will ask if you need non-latex before scrubbing into surgery too. I'm not a full blown reactor, but my skin is sensitive to it. I haven't had any troubles here.

Thanks everybody! :D I figured as much for anatomy, but wasn't sure about surgery?

surgery also has non-latex options, you just need to tell the scrub nurses that you have a latex allergy before you scrub and they'll get your gown ready with your size of non-latex gloves. other than that, you buy your own for anatomy and they have gloves all over the hospital but i'm not 100% sure they're all non-latex. if i recall they're mostly blue/purple (so nitrile perhaps?) but maybe just to be safe you could keep a couple pairs in your pocket/bag so if you run into an area of the hospital where you need gloves and they're latex you can just throw them on. :)

surgery also has non-latex options, you just need to tell the scrub nurses that you have a latex allergy before you scrub and they'll get your gown ready with your size of non-latex gloves. other than that, you buy your own for anatomy and they have gloves all over the hospital but i'm not 100% sure they're all non-latex. if i recall they're mostly blue/purple (so nitrile perhaps?) but maybe just to be safe you could keep a couple pairs in your pocket/bag so if you run into an area of the hospital where you need gloves and they're latex you can just throw them on. :)

Good idea! I think I will just carry some around with me all the time.

Digging this thread up again-I just started a new job that will allow me to scrub in for surgery with the DVM. However, I have some pretty decent reactions to latex (powdered and unpowdered) to the point where I sometimes react when I'm not even the one wearing the gloves (awesome). Can individuals purchase sterile nitrile gloves? The hospital doesn't stock non-latex gloves and I'd hate to be a burden (however, I will talk to the vet about it).

Another random question....does anyone know if I can buy gloves at a drug store and autoclave them to make them sterile? I've never scrubbed in, but I know the gloves are folded a certain way and have longer cuffs. I'd hate for this allergy to limit my opportunities.

Digging this thread up again-I just started a new job that will allow me to scrub in for surgery with the DVM. However, I have some pretty decent reactions to latex (powdered and unpowdered) to the point where I sometimes react when I'm not even the one wearing the gloves (awesome). Can individuals purchase sterile nitrile gloves? The hospital doesn't stock non-latex gloves and I'd hate to be a burden (however, I will talk to the vet about it).

Another random question....does anyone know if I can buy gloves at a drug store and autoclave them to make them sterile? I've never scrubbed in, but I know the gloves are folded a certain way and have longer cuffs. I'd hate for this allergy to limit my opportunities.
The gloves you buy at the drugstore are just not the same. They are not as durable, the sleeves are short, and good luck folding them into a piece of thin paper that will fold nicely for you. Your employer should supply you with the correct gloves if you have a latex allergy.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the internal medicine residents has a serious latex allergy at my work and we ordered these for her.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1420691038.931498.jpg

They make sterile powder free nitrile surgery gloves but you usually have to order through a distributor for them. If you really don't want to be a burden you could offer to reimburse them. But if they need you to scrub in for work, they should provide them

They make sterile powder free nitrile surgery gloves but you usually have to order through a distributor for them. If you really don't want to be a burden you could offer to reimburse them. But if they need you to scrub in for work, they should provide them
That's what I was worried about. I talked to one of the techs today and she said she'd put it on the order list and see if the practice manager is willing to order them! I'm a little concerned that they won't right now since the clinic is so slow that we're going home early and there are days where absolutely nothing is scheduled....but hopefully they will! Thanks everyone!

Another question: Pros and cons of vinyl, nitrile, and neoprene? Vinyl seems less breathable compared to nitrile, but I've never tried neoprene before.