lcsw vs registered nurse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

I keep seeing so many job postings that say for job requirements LCSW Or RN.

This makes me wonder are registered nurses allowed to do social work and their licenses cover their work? And can a psych RN do psychotherapy just as a LCSW?

It just seems unfair to social workers that they get a masters and a nurse who in a lot of cases has an associates and can do what they do and get paid more?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, those types of positions are usually case management positions. Psych RNs are not allowed to perform psychotherapy or diagnose. I think this is a case of HR or whoever is doing the hiring (culture of facility as well) not realizing the LCSW is over licensed for a case management position. Also in my experience most hospital social work positions want an LCSW, not to diagnose or to perform psychotherapy, but just for the added level of experience. I could go into the history of social work licensing and why this is, but I think it's oversharing lol.

I'm not saying it makes sense, it just tends to be that way in practice.

Also, I've noticed a movement towards RN case managers for insurance because of the medical clinical component. They come with a lot of medical clinical experience experience.

Reactions: 1 users
This makes me wonder are registered nurses allowed to do social work and their licenses cover their work?

It just seems unfair to social workers that they get a masters and a nurse who in a lot of cases has an associates and can do what they do and get paid more?

I totally agree with that last paragraph there. That's a medical culture issue and can only be fixed systemically. But you are right, it's very true. Now if I could, would I go back and be a nurse? nope. I think I'm just gonna work really hard on building my career and macro level advocacy...

And I don't want to strictly be a case manager either....

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, those types of positions are usually case management positions. Psych RNs are not allowed to perform psychotherapy or diagnose. I think this is a case of HR or whoever is doing the hiring (culture of facility as well) not realizing the LCSW is over licensed for a case management position. Also in my experience most hospital social work positions want an LCSW, not to diagnose or to perform psychotherapy, but just for the added level of experience. I could go into the history of social work licensing and why this is, but I think it's oversharing lol.

I'm not saying it makes sense, it just tends to be that way in practice.

Also, I've noticed a movement towards RN case managers for insurance because of the medical clinical component. They come with a lot of medical clinical experience experience.

Thanks for the reply! So basically what you are saying is that while there may be some overlap in the professions and nature of work, they are still two entirely different professions with nursing more focused on health and medical.conditions and social work.more focused on the low social policy and mental health?

I totally agree with that last paragraph there. That's a medical culture issue and can only be fixed systemically. But you are right, it's very true. Now if I could, would I go back and be a nurse? nope. I think I'm just gonna work really hard on building my career and macro level advocacy...

And I don't want to strictly be a case manager either....

Son even if you can be a nurse and do many of the same duties you do now, you have no interest in nursing?

Son even if you can be a nurse and do many of the same duties you do now, you have no interest in nursing?

I'm going into therapy, so an RN isn't ever able to do what I plan to do with my LCSW.

The training of a nurse and a social worker are very different. The majority of the time there is very little overlap. Only in the position of patient advocacy is there a little bit of overlap in skills.

Thanks for the reply! So basically what you are saying is that while there may be some overlap in the professions and nature of work, they are still two entirely different professions with nursing more focused on health and medical.conditions and social work.more focused on the low social policy and mental health?

This is, in general, what I'm saying :)

You can thank the nursing unions for that….they don't screw around when they want to make something happen (regardless of scope of practice/training considerations).

Hello everyone,

I'm a current junior undergraduate attending the university of Delaware majoring in something called Health Behavior Science (falls under health promotion/health education), and since late 2014, I've become interested in public health. During my winter, I took the time to research what kinds of jobs I can get with a bachelors in health behavior science, with a minor in public health, I'm also waiting to minor in business administration because I'm raising my GPA to enter the program. Anyway, I have read up on what the profession of infection prevention is all about, and I'm writing to ask you if it would be possible for someone like me to get involved in this field, without having a nursing degree...I was given the opportunity to shadow an infection preventionist at a hospital. I have yet to fulfill that opportunity, but first I want to understand if I will he able to get a job out of this in the end. Could I end up getting an internship, and research experience? I know I would really need to get a certification, but even then...would I be able to work as an infection preventionist? I am looking to work as one even if it is a temp job for a couple or few years that's if they allow me, before going for my masters in hospital epidemiology. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I'm a current junior undergraduate attending the university of Delaware majoring in something called Health Behavior Science (falls under health promotion/health education), and since late 2014, I've become interested in public health. During my winter, I took the time to research what kinds of jobs I can get with a bachelors in health behavior science, with a minor in public health, I'm also waiting to minor in business administration because I'm raising my GPA to enter the program. Anyway, I have read up on what the profession of infection prevention is all about, and I'm writing to ask you if it would be possible for someone like me to get involved in this field, without having a nursing degree...I was given the opportunity to shadow an infection preventionist at a hospital. I have yet to fulfill that opportunity, but first I want to understand if I will he able to get a job out of this in the end. Could I end up getting an internship, and research experience? I know I would really need to get a certification, but even then...would I be able to work as an infection preventionist? I am looking to work as one even if it is a temp job for a couple or few years that's if they allow me, before going for my masters in hospital epidemiology. Thank you!

I've honestly never heard of this job before so I know nothing about it. But based on what you said and a quick google search it looks like this question might be best asked somewhere in the interdisciplinary forum under public health degrees (maybe?). Also, wherever you end up posting this question, you should definitely start a new thread specifically for this topic, it would probably be an interesting discussion and might get more responses if you do. Good luck!

EDIT: I did a quick search on indeed and, although RN seems to be the most popular required credential, i did find "Bachelor's degree in nursing, microbiology or health related field preferred." I would still post this in its own thread in the public health forum (or next best, I still have no idea), but it looks like a possibility. Have you done your own search for job postings and their criteria? That might also be beneficial.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

All the infection preventionist-type jobs I've seen have been filled by RNs, but I've run into them primarily in VA hospitals and academic medical centers, which may have different hiring practices than private hospitals. However, for most large hospitals/medical centers, I'd imagine they're going to want nursing credentials of some sort.